1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TheatreTek DVD 2.1.1

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by betamac, Mar 26, 2005.

1. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just installed this today and have to say its a near fault-less picture, i no longer bother using FDFShow now, as with TT 2.1.1 VMR9 Renderless mode gives a truly superb picture and at less than 20% CPU activity using the onboard pure video

Very impressive indeed :)

(Just to say i had 2.1 previous and decided to use FDFShow instead but the further improvements on 2.1.1 have made me change)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Interesting, I'm surprised renderless improves things to the extent you can stop using FFD to scale, what output resolution are you using?

You obviously find it stable, many in the TT forum seem to be having problems with renderless.

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your find most people having probs with renderless are ATI owners, on the 6600 series with pure video it works fantastic and yes theres still a few people having probs but there always will be and it may be down to other things on there system

The playback quality though on the 6600GT is the best i have seen a DVD look yet

4. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Just a quick question regarding TheatreTek, is there a downloadable trial version??

At the moment I'm using Zoomplayer with FFDShow, but would like to also try out the main competition before deciding which one to stick with.

Cheers,

Giz.

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is not a trial vesion but you can buy it and you have 7 days to activate, if you dont activate then you get refund

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I don't want to take this too off topic, but have you tried out Zoom player Betamac??

It is just that we have similar spec'd systems, me running a slightly slower 3.2 processor.

If you have tried them both, what did you prefer to make you go with TheatreTek in the end? And will TheatreTek pass through DTS on the normal version, or do you need to get the Advanced Audio edition?

Cheers,

Giz.

7. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Giz,

I have tried both extensively, and stuck with Theatertek. Although Zoomplayer is very comprehensive and excellent software, I've always found the simplicity and great interface of Theatertek, as well as the superb picture quality, all that I need in a package.

To answer your question, all digital signals are passed through perfectly in the standard package. The audio pack is only needed if you want it to decode the signal, rather than pass it digitally to your amp/processor.

8. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Cheers UrbanT :smashin: I think i'll give this a try in a couple of weeks when my Zoom Player trial ends.

Giz.

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to say i have never used Zoom Player so cant compare but that was a good comparison from UrbanT

I do really like the TT interface though, looks very good and you can make it transparent as well which is nice touch

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Figures, since ATI's handling of VMR is not that great on 9XXXs, not sure what XTs are like.

11. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Having tried Theatertek VMR9 renderless, in addition to using zoomplayer renderless, I have to say as a happy 9800 Pro owner I've found the oft overlooked PowerDVD6 codec in overlay to provide the best image in my particular case. VMR9 (renderless or otherwise) provides a great image for 6xxx cards, ATI 9xxx works nice in overlay over VMR9 (atleast from my subjective experience); overlay tends to soften the image so that ffdshow is required to compensate.

KraGorn maybe the XTs like VMR9 not sure but the image from overlay and PowerDVD6 is of high quality on the 9 series.