1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TheaterTek with DScaler5 codecs

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by BBD, Jan 21, 2005.

1. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is it possible to do the above? I know I could use ZoomPlayer but whilst ZP is great for tweaking and testing different configurations I prefer the look and operation of TT2 for watching films.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Fraid not, TT is hard-coded to use the nVidia codecs. Do you think that DScaler produces better results than the nVidia ones? I tried it but didn't think it as good, a bit less detailed.

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the answer even if it isn't the one I was hoping for.

I've tried quite a few combinations recently. I bought TT2 just before Christmas. After reading about the 6600GT and TT2 being a good combination I also bought a 6600GT card. The improvement over my Ati card was slight and playback wasn't very smooth. I also found the overlay mode which I use for DScaler4(Sky) and DigiTV not as good as my old Ati card. I then tried the DScaler5 codecs after reading about them over on AVS with the 6600GT card. I thought this looked marginally better than TT2's Nvida codecs but the play back smoothness seemed even worse. I then decided to sell the 6600GT card because I thought the money would be better spent on a pc upgrade so I can use ffdshow. After replacing the Ati card I thought I'd try the DScaler5 codecs again and was surprised how good the picture was and Smooth playback. So after spending £200 I now have a better picture using my old Ati card and free codecs!!

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zoomplayer looks good with the nvidia codecs that come with Dscaler in my opinion, Are there newer ones out than the ones that come with Theatertek 2?

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ATIs are better for Overlay, nVidias prefer VMR so I'm not surprised you got better results with the Radeon.

Um, don't understand, what codecs come with DScaler? DScaler is GPLed software, it won't come with commercial codecs. Also, DScaler has its' own alpha decoder that BBD tried.

:confused:

6. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just to clarify, I did use VMR with the 6600GT and TT2. I'm not sure if it's possible to use DScaler or DigiTV in VMR mode? Opinions were divided on AVS but the DScaler codecs are free so well worth a try.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Oh indeed, I'll try anything free. :) I only had DScaler briefly over a year ago, long before I learned about rendering modes and their use.

8. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I was tired last night what I meant was I preffere the Nvidia codecs that come with theater tek over the dscaler ones anyday.

Also I was wondering if the Nvidia codecs on the Nvidia site are newer than the ones you get with TT2?

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Right, inderstand. :)

AFAIK the codecs in the 2.06 patch for TT are the latest released by nVidia, unless those have been updated in the last couple of weeks .. I stopped reading the 'official' codecs thread on AVS at the start of the year.