1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theatertek upgrade advice requested

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I've been using TT for over a year and I've been very happy with it.

My HTPC is running 1.2 and its nigh on bulletproof stability wise.

I've resisted upgrading to 1.5 until recently to maintain stability (if it ain't broke don't fix it right). However now I'd like the multidrive capability so I've already bought and downloaded the upgrade.

My spec is

Asus tusl2-c mobo
    Radeon VE 32M
    audiophile 2496
    pioneer slot loaded
    barracuda 40Gb ata100
    W2K (sp3 avoided sp4).

I want my upgrade to go nice and smoothly and above all retain the superb stability I've got with my machine. I'd rather stay at 1.2 than lose stability to be honest.

I believe I need the following drivers for my kit to give maximum stability with 1.5.

cat 2.3 for the graphics card
    maudio October beta for the soundcard
    the 1.5.46 patch for TT after the upgrade.

I have downloaded these fellas already.

Am I good to go?

2. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been running TT 1.5.40 and it has been rock stable, I've heard others mention of inexplicable TT closing events but it's been great for me.

This week I upgraded to 1.5.46 and experienced my first TT crash, then my second, then my third...:(

check out the upgrade thread here at Theatertek's forum.

1.5.40 - Stable but auto-start didn't work
    1.5.46 - Unstable but auto-start works

I'm waiting to see how easy it is to downgrade back to 1.5.40 for the time being.

I'd wait a few days and get a concensus of other user's experiences.

Mark.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Well I went ahead and started upgrading the drivers for the audio card and graphics card as recommended by TT....

Audio upgrade went fine and verified everything still worked with TT1.2.

Uninstalled the video driver : reinstalled the new one seemed to go ok. Try to use the powerstrip forced setting for 856x480. Seemed to come up ok. Rebooted machine. My panny ae100 can now no longer handle the 856x480 setting ...just get a black screen on boot.

Restarted in VGA mode: ascertained that the refresh rate is now stuck on 68Hz whereas previously it was 60Hz > I'm unable to select another any other refresh rate than 68Hz with the 856x480 setting.

uninstall powerstrip.. reinstall newest version in case it can't handle the newer graphics driver. No difference except now when I select the 856x480 resolution the screen comes up garbled. Rebooting results in a blank screen again . Tried reforcing the 856x480 setting in powerstrip. N ojoy same thing.

Tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling the previous one that was solid... No change still get exactly the same problems.

Ho hum... I'll bring the HTPC downstairs and hook it up to a monitor to better verfiy whats going on....

All this and I havn't even upgraded TT yet!

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    OK some progress.

I found a thread of spectres where he had problems with powerstrip resolutions after upgrading his drivers.

Following his observations I uninstalled the driver did the usual ati manual cleanup . Uninstalled powerstrip too.

Hooked my HTPC up to my 21" crt monitor and reselected the sony 900W driver for the monitor in the display settings.

Then I installed the graphics driver. Then powerstrip and recreated the custom resolution and applied it.

Bingo things look fine on the monitor and ist definitely now refreshing at 60Hz ( rather than 68Hz).

Seems to be if you reinstall the graphics driver whilst hooked up to the ae100 it detects the monitor type from vesa data and you are then locked out making the forced res in powerstrip correctly.

So I recommend hooking your HTPC up to a monitor if you are messing with powerstrip and display settings. Probably varies from projector to projector but its definitely advisable in the case of the ae100.

TT has been upgraded to 1.5 and seems to be working fine (still need to verify the audio is ok) will investigate patching issues thoroughly as Mark has suggested before applying any.

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I have a spare 15" monitor in the cinema room for exactly this sort of problem (got fed up hauling the HTPC back and fore when I had a problem). Well worth having if you do a lot of resolution tweaking!

Glad its going well - only problem I had when upgrading was having to re-register TT but that wasn't a lot of hassle. I've stuck with Cat 3.2 which has worked perfectly for me (so far!).
    Paul

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Well the good news is that everything seems fine.
    Both audio and video in TT 1.5 are behaving as they should do and the machine is nice and stable once more.

Now just to decide whether I should patch!