1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TheaterTek Question(s)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bigfatsi, Apr 17, 2005.

1. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just started using Theatertek with ffdshow on my plasma but I have a couple of queries if anyone can help me. I have a 3.2 gig P4 with 512mb ram running a geforce fx5700le card connected to my plasma via DVI. The resolution is set to 1280x768.

My first question is that when I watch a dvd through Theatertek it doesn't fill the screen, leaving black bars at the sides as well as the top and bottom. I have trialled a few different software players on this setup and have never noticed this before. I tried changing aspect ratios in Theatertek but it made little or no difference but I have managed to get it to fill the screen (widthways) through ffdshows Resize & Aspect - Specify 16:9. Is this normal?

My second question is just a quick one about hardware. Whilst playing about I tried to scale the picture throush specify size and set it to 1280x768 but I noticed noticeable judder, in fact watching in 16x9 as above it is sometimes noticeable. Is am presuming that a 3.2 P4 and 512mb ram is sufficient and that it is down to my underpowered graphics card or is it something to investigate further?

Cheers in advance guys/gals!

Bigfatsi

Edit: The Disc I used to test this was r1 The fifth element ultimate with Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    I am not a ffdshow user, but there are plenty on here, so I am sure someone will be along to help soon.

However, your pc resolution is a 4:3 resolution, and I am assuming your plasma is 16:9, try using the resolutions 1280 x 720 or 1024 x 576, this should sort out your black bar problem.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Lisa. Will give it a go. Plasma is family TV and currently busy with the Disney channel! D'oh.

Bigfatsi

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Your first prority it to try setting the desktop size to the same as your plasma if that's possible. I'm not a plasma owner but I do know some plasmas won't actually accept native resolution. Assuming it does you want to set 1280x768.

A 3.2 P4 is more than enough, I have a 3.0 and resize to 1920x1080 with only about 60%-70% CPU usage.

Setting A/R can be confusing with settings in both TT and FFDSHOW .. I find unsetting the 'Lock Aspect Ratio' option in TT the best way, then use FFDSHOW to control it, as you seem to have found.

As for judder, there are a few possibilities. First off use Task Manager to check for CPU clipping, you may have over-specified FFDSHOW filters. What resize algorithm are you using, what parameters? What other filters?

Your 5700 should be perfectly capable for your needs, the scalnig etc. is being done by the CPU. What renderer are you using, Overlay or VMR? NVidia's are usually better with VMR.

5. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the settings described in the guide on htpcnews.com and my processor seems to run 1 hyperthreaded processor at 50% and 1 at next to nowt!

It's on overlay as tbh I've no idea what any of them mean. All I can gather is that VMR has something to do with renderless on 600 cards???! So I left well alone. Guess I'll have a play!

1280x720x60 is the max res my screen will take.

Cheers

Bigfatsi

6. r-06264

r-06264

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jeez! What am I doing wrong? I'm getting between 90 and 95% CPU usage with my 3.0Ghz :eek: No jitters nor sound dropouts though :)

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Bigfatsi: the renderer can be confusing :).

Where are you seeing 50% usage? Remember, on an HT/SMP system Task Manager will show you 50% loading when you're clipping one of the CPUs. If it's really 50% of one CPU then that isn't a problem, in which case one has to look at the graphics perhaps. What AGP speed are you using?

There are two main rendering modes, 'overlay' which is the original makes use of a dedicated section of the GPU which creates each digital frame (known as 'rendering', hence renderer). VMR uses the normal 3D sections of the GPU, ie. pipelines etc. In principle VMR can produce better results and you can apply tweaks such as Anisotropic Filtering. Historically ATIs have been better using Overlay, NVidia's are better at VMR.

Renderless is simply a variation of VMR, it isn't specifically for the 6600 series as it isn't tied to specific hardware. What it does is to eliminate an inmemory copy of each frame which is designed to help eliminate tearing which is the main glitch seen with VMR especially it would appear with 6600s .. I never saw tearing on my 6800GT using normal VMR.

I would suggest you try selecting VMR9 and see if things improve.

Orangeteam:

Not sure what to say, I use Lanczos 2 with 1.5 Luma Sharpening. I'll re-check just to make sure, it's a while since I used the PC for DVD playback, I could perhaps be wrongly remembering the usage I got with 1280x720 I suppose.

8. r-06264

r-06264

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just remembered that my resolution was actually at 1920x1080 at the time. I haven't checked since I downscaled it to 1280x720. I'll have a look some time. My settings are the same as yours btw.

9. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry. didn't make myself clear. I've got 1 processor which shows up as 2 because of the hyperthreading (I presume) In Task Manager 1 is at 50% and one is at next to nothing. What do you mean by clipping? Is this a good/bad thing and how do I make it stop???!

Bigfatsi

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, 'clipping' is another term for CPU overload.

What is the CPU figure shown in the left-hand graph headed "CPU Usage"? If that's 50% you're suffering a processor overload, I'd expect to see one of the 'processor' graphs on the right showing 'clipping', ie. the graph will flat-line right at the top of the scale.

Try this, go to the 'Processes' tba and double-click the CPU column twice (to sort in reverse order). TT will be at the top of the list (presumably), what is the figure in the CPU column?

11. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The numbers for Theater tek are running at between 49-53% and 37,148 ish resized to 1280x760. This drops to 42-47% just resized to 16x9. However since I went onto vmr9 16x9 doesnt fill the screen and it has introduced a white line throughout the right along the furthest left of the picture that runs the entire length of the screen. Resizing to 1280x760 or 768 clears it up and gives a phenomenal picture but it's a bit jerky. I've taken a screen shot to show what the settings are on in resize. It's on Lanczos. Any ideas?!

[​IMG]

Edit: Sorry it's so unclear. Can you see what you need to see?

I can watch the same DVD in windows media player and it runs smoothly, fills the screen and only runs my system at 7-10%. However it doesn't look quite as good! Whats's going on!!!!?

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That graph tells it all, it's what I suspected.

Look at the right-hand trace, it's all up at the top (it's 'clipping'), meaning you're using all that available 'processor'. Remember, these aren't real processors, they're really one CPU which can do a small amount of work 'in parallel'. If you were to disable HT you'd see the 50% go to 100% as then there'd only be one processor as far as XP is concerned .. HT support is a hack insofar as system performance monitoring is concerned, you get a flase impression of the amount 'spare' CPU availability unless you're careful.

What happens if you switch to Overlay rendering? What Resize parameters are you using in FFDSHOW (ie. the numbers in the other page for the Resize filter)?

13. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I've got it sorted!

Turn out I was running an older version of FFDshow (feb2005) and now I'm running Mar 2005 and it's running marvellous! 1280x768@60 CPU showing 40% so I presume thats a real 80%. Now to start tweaking!!

Cheers for all your help. Much appreciated.

Bigfatsi :clap: :clap: :clap:

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've never used a version later than 20041012, all the ones I tried this year had problems and AFAIK they add no useful features .. many people still use the 20040709 'Andy' version with it's Lanczos optimisations.

Whatever, 80% is far more like it .. just don't tweak too much. ;)