Theatertek - overlay vs. WMR9

davsdu

I'm using Theatertek (newest version) and I have a Nvidia 6800gt card.
If I enable WMR9 (which should be best?) the picture is very bright and washed out. If I choose "overlay" the picture is very sharp and the colors are spot on!
Shouldn't WMR9 provide the best picture - am I doing something wrong?

Pbryanw

Do you mean VMR9 mode? If you do then it should be the best mode for your 6800. When I had my 6800 I used VMR9 mode and felt I got a better picture then overlay. Now with my new Ati card I find I get a better picture with overlay.

One suggestion is to play with the contrast/brightness/colour settings. These can be accessed from the OSD menu which appears at the top of your screen on mouseover. I think it's the rightmost menu option.

If this doesn't work you can try the Theatertek Forums http://forums.theatertek.com/ or there's nothing to say that you have to use one mode or the other. If overlay gives you a better picture then use overlay. I'm just a novice to Theatertek so I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and give you a better answer.

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
I've always found that with either VMR9 or Overlay, on both ATI and Nvidia cards, I've always got a better picture with Overlay. Have no idea why though :)

Point being, if overlay gives you a great picture, thats all you need.

jonbd

I seem to remember there were problems with some nvidia drivers that made video washed out etc in vmr9 mode. I think the latest ones (or maybe the latest beta drivers) sorted the problem

davsdu

jonbd said:
I seem to remember there were problems with some nvidia drivers that made video washed out etc in vmr9 mode. I think the latest ones (or maybe the latest beta drivers) sorted the problem
I havem the latest official drivers - do you have a link to that info?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom