1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theatertek not displaying video image

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Messiah, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi all

Another small problem with my HTPC. For soime strange and unknown reason Theatertek has stopped displaying a video image when using the projector connected over DVI. All displays fine on the monitor but on the pj I get all the menus and on screen graphics but no video image, just a dark grey area where the image should be. Cabn still make out the horizontal or vertical black bars if there are any but no image.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Neil

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Sounds like the overlay is on the other display. Has anything changed?

I think there was a thread about something like this somewhere, and you can get the ovelay to go where you want it by specvifying it in the command line for TT. Not sure if the thread was here or avs though.

Gary.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Excellent, thanks Gary. Certainly sounds as though it could be just that. I don't think anything has changed but with installing and uninstalling different bits of software I guess in reality something has.

Saying that I don't think I have added anything to this PC (other than CopyToDVD) in the last few months. I'll hunt out that thread. Thanks as ever.

Found it here

Will try tomorrow evening as pj off now for the night. Thanks.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Just a quick update to say all sorted at last :) Upgraded the ATI Catalyst drivers to the latest version and TT recognised the change and automatically reset the video overlay settings.

Phew. HTPC working a treat again :smashin:

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hoorah! :D

Glad you got it sorted. How do you find TT compared to other software players? I saw it in action at the eventbuwithout a direct comparison with PDVD (XP or 5), I couldn't see how much better it is.

Gary.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Too be honest Picture wise I don't think there is anything in it. It has some nice features though like the on screen graphics, aspect ratios, etc and also they have an excellent downloadable girder file on their site which makes it so much easier.

TBH though, not sure I could recommend paying £45 for it.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Thanks for that - I'm one of those people who can't see any difference between standard power leads and specialy shielded ones etc, so I'll probably not see any difference here either. £45 is a lot if the difference is minimal, so I'll stay with my current set-up I think.

Cheers.

Gary.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I noticed a big difference between TT and PDVD XP on my 92" screen using an AE300 on X-Men 1.5 .. on a PC monitor they're much of a muchness, but via the PJ the difference was marked.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    What differences did you notice?

Gary.

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A sharper, cleaner image. I wasn't intending to A/B test them, I was trying to discover why TT was having problems playing the DVD .. it turned out PDVD had the same problems, intermittent dropping to letterbox mode and losing colours.

Anyhow, one scene in particular was noticeably better on TT .. the scene in the underground hangar, the shot from behind the plane's wing to the elevator as Wolverine et. al. enter, the wing was so much sharper and clearer on TT than PDVD .. it was so surprising I spent some more time comparing them .. other scenes showed similar improvement.

This was on a 92" Draper grey screen, an AE300 driven by VGA from a Radeon 9600.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Thanks for the reply. Are you using hardware compensation or software mode? Does either make a difference to quality other than the mpg deblocking being better in hrdware?

Interesting you mention dropping to letterbox mode - my PDVD 5 does something like that - if I window the playback, it goes into letterbox mode, and stays that way if I go to full screen. I then have to use the player menu to untick 'keep aspect ratio' to get it correct, as my pj squishes everything. Did you find a fix for it?

Gary.

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The dropping to letterbox was occurring at the some, but not all, chapter end-points, since both players were suffering the same it was clearly a flaw in the DVD istelf. I haven't seen the effect you describe and when installing and setting up the PC for use with the AE300 I was switching full/windowed a bit.

I've never really experimented with hardware/software decoding support, certainly not using the pj for display.

Sadly there's no demo for TT, as you may know, but given I've seen noticeable differences and Messiah hasn't then you've no way of knowing without trying it .. I balked at the idea of buying then demanding a refund if I didn't like it but bit the bullet, I've never read anyone say they had problems getting a refund before they activated it so maybe that's the only real solution to your conundrum.

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    RTFM has it installed IIRC, so I'll see if I can get an opertunity to see his version in action, and watch some scenes I'm familiar with as a comparison.

Cheers.

Gary

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As always, one's own eyes tell the truth .. or at least, lie convincingly to the brain. :D

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Many a true word...

I've noticed that it's easy to convince yourself of something if you think it's there - that's why I think placebo is responsible for many things in HT which turn out not to be the case.

I can remember reading an article about a dvd player, where it said that the colours seemed a little "over brown". When I got to see the player in action, I thought that I could see the effect they meant, though wasn't sure. It was a pretty good player on my pj though. Anyway, I then re-read the article, and found that it actualy said the colours were "over blown". So, even though I'm a cynic with regards to some things, I was still subject to the placebo effect. I didn't think the colours over blown by any means though. :)

Changing from something to another, you'll often hear people say they notice certain things because that's what they expect or want. If they went back, they may find those things exist with the old equipment, but they just didn't look for it before. I've done the same thing with speakers, and found the old ones just as accurate as the new. The sound was just very slightly 'different' though.

I'm wondering if the diferences between PDVD and TT will be a similar experience.

Gary.

16. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Be interested to know what you decide in the end. :)

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    If I get to see it, I'll post my findings. :)

Gary.