1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theatertek/ffdshow and Blanking

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MarkHudds, Oct 26, 2005.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

Using Theatertek 2.2 with ffdshow and, no matter which sharpening option I chose in ffdshow, I don't get 'clean' edges at the top and bottom of my image where the image meets the black bars (especially noticeable on 2.35.1 ratio as the lines are nearer the centre of vision). Theres like a line which looks out of place about 2/3 rows from the top and bottom and now I've focused on it, it's getting quite distracting!

Switching TT auto-blanking on or off doesn't make any difference however I have found that I can use the manual blanking feature of TT to cover up the offending rows with an extended blank area at the top and bottom. This works great but it only applies for the current DVD and although TT seems to remember this setting per DVD, it would be nice not to set it up for every new one. If only you could set blanking per aspect ratio rather than DVD.

Any ideas guys for a permanent fix?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Not really. Any sharpening process will be applied to the whole image and introduce ringing along the black lines. Some of the sharpening filters might allow you to specify sharpening in the x-axis only . I prefer the unsharp mask to most other forms of sharpening as it produces less ringing.

Some/most transfers also suffer from this and you may find its not actually exacerbated too much by your ffdshow settings.

User defined blanking is the only option. Even this might not help too much if its applied before ffdshow gets a hold of the image.

I don't use a lot of sharpening. The lanczos filter has sharpening even without upping the luma sharpen setting. Don't apply any chroma sharpening ...this will make the low resolution chroma noisy ...it might even help to introduce a little chroma gaussian which is a blur.

3. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry to butt in on your thread Markhudds.

I've just started using TT with ffdshow and find all those buttons, choices etc very confusing, so any guides that can be provided as to who is using what & what buttons do would be very useful

Thanxs Mr D

garyc

4. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Heres a little guide that should get you going garyc: http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1
    Dont rely on those settings though, have a good play about with it and see what you like best. I fiddle with the settings every other day, but seem to have settled on a little gradual denoise and unsharp mask with resize to 1360x768.

5. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is also a good FFDSHOW thread in the Hints and tips forum on Theatertek.com.

6. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Getting this thread back on topic ... ;)

I've found a little application called 'YXY' here:
    http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/htpc/yxy/yxy.html

Apparently this has blanking control so hopefully it will enable me to get a permanent custom blanking setting for each AR in TT.

Anyone using YXY anymore? I seems quite an old app.

Side question (going off topic myself!) - is there any point in using resize in ffdshow when I use powerstrip to get 1366x768 1:1 mapping for my displays? Is it the case that ffdshow can do a better resize job than my gfx card? If so, would I resize to 1366x768 or something else?

7. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I output at 1360x768 (My LCD doesnt like 1366, but it is still 1:1, with a tiny bit missing off the sides) and compared both ffdshow resizing to just letting the GPU do it. I get better results with ffdshow, but its nothing major. (Using Lanczos 2 IIRC)
    Also, ffdshow will only let you resize to a resolution thats divisble by 8, so 1366 wont work anyway. You would have to try 1368, or 1360.

I know some people resize to resolutions much greater than 1360x768, but ive never seen any benefit from trying it. It uses more resources and gets scaled back down by the GPU anyway, and ive always been led to believe that scaling twice only makes things worse. Give it a try though, you never know.

8. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The blanking in Theatertek is based XYX I think.