1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theatertek and MCE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by lisag, Aug 2, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    In the spirit of research I have installed the latest patched version of Theatertek on my non MCE machine and ran the Microsoft deccheck prog and it show nvidia dvd decoder 4.1.53.0.

I have the latest nvidia decoder on my MCE machine and it shows 4020.150.0.0.

So I presume the theatertek one is newer?

If I install Theatertek on my MCE machine, I suppose I will have to uninstall the nvidia decoder first - has anyone done this successfully, as I am scared of breaking the currently stable install of MCE, but curious to see whether Theatertek can improve on my current set up.....

lisa

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Well, with no advice forthcoming I took the risk and did some testing....

My verdict is that picture quality looked better with MCE and Nvidia DVD Codec v150 than with Theatertek 2.1.1 (I did not try with ffdshow).

lisa

3. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Just out of interest, why do you think the TheatreTek will improve things? The NVidia codec has specific ATSC TS decoding abilities and seems stable within MCE and is aimed directly at your 6600GT and its SD/HD capabilities. What is not working right on your system to warrant changing decoders?

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Yes, very good point.
    Everything is working fine but because Theatertek is so highly regarded I wanted to check that I wasn't missing out on anything..... glad to know that I'm not :)

5. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Lisa,
    I'm glad you're happy with image quality within MCE, wish I could say the same.
    My setup is using the codec from TT2 but the picture quality within MCE doesn't come close to that of straight TT2, launched from the desktop, same codec - both show some signs of shearing. I never noticed this on my previous XP Pro installation.
    I'm using a Radeon 9600XT with the appropriate MCE drivers, perhaps not as compatable as nvidia hardware.
    Anyone have any suggestions codecs, settings, tweaks??

Cheers Adie

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Hmmmm......
    Are you referring to DVD pq rather than live/recorded tv...?
    The only two things I can suggest trying out is screen resolutions/refresh rates and dvd codecs..

What display device do you have and what screen resolutions / refresh rates have you tried? There is a registry edit you can use to stop MCE changing the desktop refresh rate when it launches.

Also, the appropriate Nvidia card with the Nvidia Pure Video codec I think contributes a lot to the pq. But, with your radeon card, maybe a different codec would be better.

If you have the patience, and trial versions are available, maybe you could try out some other MCE compatible codecs such as Power DVD, Win DVD and the standalone non Theatertek Nvidia codec to see if that improves things.

Also check that the codec settings are the correct ones for your graphics card, such as VMR9, VMR7, interlacing and all that stuff which I am afraid I don't completely understand. :rolleyes:

Good luck
    lisa
    :)

7. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Lisa,
    You may be right in thinking this is related to refresh rate, as the shearing is most pronounced on PAL video material (TV series), 50Hz, my NEC1000 running at 60.
    As for resolution, I'm using powerstrip to give a desktop of 1024 x 576 - my projector is based on a 4:3, 1024 x 768 chip but with blanking for 16 x 9, it's resolution is
    1024 x 576 - pixel perfect.
    Motion seems to be the issue, so it could well be related to the projector's 60Hz refresh. Would it be unwise to try force 50Hz if the projector doesn't support it? Could it damage the projector?

Adie

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    I definitely think you will notice the difference if you have been watching PAL material @60hz instead of 50hz. As for damaging your projector..... I'm afaraid I don't know - check the manual, or ask in the projector forums?

lisa