1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TheaterTek 2.04 appears

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Nov 20, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No announcement post as yet so no list of changes/fixes but 2.0.4 is now on the download page.

One obvious change is that it now stores version 2 settings separately from version 1 .. sadly Andrew didn't do the job properly and clone the current settings which means you'll end up with a default 'out of the box' setup so you'll need to re-set things like video options etc. etc.

One thing that's gone is the 'ForcePal' setting, hopefully this means that TT now sets it dynamically so FFDSHOW won't crash when playing PAL DVDs without being told it's PAL.

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well i've now got the update, had to un/re-install TTv2 from scratch again!! :mad:

But things are settling down again, and with the new Girder codes......TTv2 seems to be happy again. :thumbsup:

Still gotta find a happy medium for the video settings, as everything looks oversaturated in colour. And always tweaking the settings, but never looks right.

My current setting for most DVD's are Contrast=-5 and Saturation=-50.

Using a ATI Radeon 9500 128mb Non Pro, with Omega v2.5.90.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm still getting some problems, occasionaly the AR editor loses focus and it's impossible to click the 'Close' button, I can't play by using file associations and FF/RW are proving a little 'iffy'.

I also had to knock down Saturation on my 9600.

4. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I left the AR editor alone, as i don't understand it. The default AR's look ok at my resolution of 960x720@75mhz for Pal material, and at 72mhz for NTSC material.

I'm sure a higher resolution like 1440x1080 would be better, but my PJ can't handle a res higher than 1024x768@50hz. But that is too flickery for my liking.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The AR editor is there for when you want to tweak a non-16:9 movie, to maybe 'lose' a little off the sides to reduce black-bars in 2.4:1 .. or for those instances where last night for example I was watching Day of the Jackal and the default 16:9 squashed it, I have no idea what resolution it is or whether a but in TT2 made is screw-up its' AR selection, however the AR editor allowed me to fix it.

6. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi KraGorn, why don't you download the latest version of FFDSHOW. It allows for the Dynamic Media Change. I managed to get Milan Cutka (The Developer of FFDSHOW) to look into it and he has released a new version with the fix.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was unaware of a new version, thanks.

In the past I've played with new releases and they often broke things that worked so I now wait for reports of others.

However, I just looked on Sourceforge, the latest binaries are the version I'm using, from 12 October.

Actually, Andrew has now complicated things with TT 2.04. He's done away with the ForcePAL option and now sets it dynamically .. sadly though this appears to be broken due to badly-flagged DVDs, whether that'll screw-up what ever was changed in FFDSHOW I guess time will tell.

8. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Guys,

for those of us with a PTAE100, is TT2 worth an upgrade? If I've got 1:1 pixel mapping is TT2 going to give me any better PQ? I realise its HD compatible etc, but as a DVD player is it worth replacing TT1?

Cheers

9. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Donnacha,

Well i think it's worth the upgrade, even 'tho i'm not running an Nvida video card, the pq is really amazing. So much cleaner over v1.5.

You still have the 7 day evaluation period (As long as you don't register it !!) to try out TTv2.

It all depends on what you need, if you are happy with v1.5 then stay with that, but i'm sure as each update for TTv2 appears it will become a better player once the various bugs get ironed out.

Checkout the TT forums, for more details on TTv2.

Cheers

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    WARNING. :)

Right now TT2 conflicts with TT1 in how where stores the serial number so you can have a painful time if you alternate between versions. You'll also have problems with third-party remote software like Girder etc. because the name of the .EXE has changed as well as system-level info such as the Window class.

Basically, your nicely working 1.5 system will need fiddling with to make it work with 2.0 .. and re-fiddling with to go back to 1.5.

You'd be best advised to at the minimum use XP's System Restore feature to try TT2 then back it out using System Restore .. otherwise you'll be fiddling with the registry to undo the damage if you want to revert to 1.5.

And for those who are already using it and know that 2.04 creates a separate registry tree .. if you don't cold-install 2.04 then you'll cause the 'damage' when you install 2.00 before the patch in 2.04 takes effect .. and even if you cold-start with 2.04 you'll still have the problems with Girder et. al.

That out of the way, I'd say from my limited experience that yes, TT2 is a worthwhile upgrade for the £20 or so it costs, even if you don't have the latest NVidia card which the decoders can make use of .. it's more or less stable now, with the release of 2.04, but there are still one or two rough edges that need rounding off.

One last point, if you use SPD/IF all the time then the Advanced Audio pack offers nothing whatsoever.

11. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for the important tip on the registry, that'll be one excuse for changing over to TTv2. Less hassle trying to get both versions working.

I did uninstall mine, and after a registry clean-up. Installed TTv2 and then the v2.04 patch.

Well so far it's fine, and i hope it stays that way. Haven't had chance to try Hdef files yet. But then lack of CPU power stops me from running Hdef files smoothly. (Rather than the slideshow i get now !! :D )

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd suggest you potter over to TT's forum to keep an eye on things, there are still some problems people are having so it's good to be warned.