1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TheaterTek 2.02 is out

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Oct 24, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just noticed this patch has appeared on TT's update page .. if it still says 2.0.1 do a browser Refresh, I had to.

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I've updated my TT v2 with the 2.02 patch, i was having problems with either version of TT, till i wiped my HTPC drive clean.

Well after a complete format of WinXP Pro, and updated all my drivers, Everything seems ok so far with TT v2.02 now.

I just hope Andrew can get the OSD update in soon, as people that have to run lower resolutions than 1024x768 becasue of PJ hardware limitations loose the sides of the OSD graphics.

The Nvida codecs are very good. I still gotta re calibrate my PJ and set-up everything to suit, as everything still looks oversaturated, even with saturation on -50 on most DVD's. (But then i am running a Radeon 9500 NP, maybe it looks different on a Nvida card ??)

Apart from those minor niggles, i like TTv2.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's a common complaint that 'out of the box' TT2 is way over-saturated on ATI cards, my limited experience with an FX 5700 shows that the settings are not too bad for nVidia cards.

4. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my 5700 Ultra I have Brightness -1, Contrast -10 and Saturation -18 in Overlay mode (slightly different in VMR9 but I changed because of slight stutter).

I set up by eye using the THX optimiser and the picture looks pretty good now.

Not sure why the video controls are a bit out, but as long as I can dial in a decent set of settings I'm happy.

Might have to get PJ re-calibrated and I'm sure it needs re-converging as well.

Nick

5. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Nick:

What CRT PJ are you using ?? I've found the settings of B=40 and C=70 on my PJ to be fine in TT v1.5.64.

Currently reading the "Scoped ATI Settings" thread on the TT forums, hopefully that'll solve a lot of my problems or at least a starting point to work with.

There are a few scoped settings which i'll use as a default, and then re-calibrate my PJ using the DVE disk.

Cheers

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I found the TT.2.0 default setttings to be bang on using a radeon 9800pro. I think a lot of people forget they should recalibrate their display devices because of the sRGB mapping.

7. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I don't understand what you mean Keith ??

My CRT PJ can only do contrast & brightness when connected via RGB or VGA, colour is setup via the HTPC.

Everything was fine under TT v1.5 with gamma at 1.2, what do i need to change to get the same setup ??

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    This was via DVI into an HS20 , colour was fine slightly off on the grayscale but I'd blame that on the projector this was using the deafult setting in TT , VMR7 (VMR9 is bust until I apply the most recent patch and freshly install the latest catalyst).

All I had to do was recalibrate the black level using brightness ( now much easier as if you have a pluge with below black it will now show up )

Much better lower intensity detail... no longer crushed.

I tend to leave the gamma at 1 and let the display handle the correction (most digital panels attempt to be somewhat CRT like anyway in my experience)

9. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old Barco BG808. It was set up by Roland of B4. IT may need re-calibrating not I have changed most things including the Graphics card.

On the default TT settings the piture was too dark, adjusting that changed the contrast (ATI card didn't interact between contrast and brightness but Nvidia seems to). The other things was the pic was much too RED.

I might try adjusting contrast and Brightness through the PJ and then see how things look.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I saw exactly what I expected moving from TT1.5 to TT2.0 . default settings and the previously 1-255 calibrated displays gave too high a black point with the 16-235 output from TT2.0 I had to drop the brightness on my displays but the lower intensities are much more discernable ie they are not crushed)

11. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well i've redone my greyscale by eye, and it looks better. It was a bit reddish, that proberbly explained my PQ problems in TTv2 over v1.5.64.

Redone Contrast & Brightness too (C=70 / B=34) was (C=70 / B=40) before i started tonight.

The only settings i changed in TTv2 was saturation which is -50 for all disks.

After looking at the video clips on DVE, it now looks amazing !! :D :clap:

Just gotta redo my convergence now !! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips 'tho.

Cheers