Theatertek 1.5 $12.99 Happy ??

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use TT on my HTPC and apart from some teething trouble at the start it now performs admirably: the deinterlacing of video based material leaves a little to be desired but thats an unusual circumstance in my viewing habits.

I'm not too sure how happy I am about shelling out more money for an upgrade when my HTPC is nice and stable with the previous version.

The only thing that might be of concern is continuing robustness in the future with slightly flakey dvds if I were to decide to bow out of the TT arms race with the version I have currently.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I'm sticking with it. The seemless integration of XyX (the aspect ratio software) for me puts it head and shoulders above the others.

WinDVD actually works better for me and has less problems with DVD navigation, pq is about the same but like I said, TT wins due to the inclusion of XyX. I'm thinking of changing my OS (currently 98se in the HTPC) to XP to improve the navigation (which isn't really a problem) and just to have a more up to date OS.

I'm happy to cough up for the upgrade even though I only bought TT about 7 or 8 weeks ago. Not bothered at all about upgrading to 1.5 as I'm fairly happy that everything will remain stable but I'll keep the current version in my HTPC under 98se as part of a dual boot just in case!
Regards,
paul

$12 is equivalent to two magazines, a cinema ticket (delux), a short london cab ride, or in my case a chinese meal for one.

Given the level of support, quality of the product, and the sheer joy it has brought to my home cinema its a bargain.

Jenz.

$12 is equivalent to two magazines, a cinema ticket (delux), a short london cab ride, or in my case a chinese meal for one.

Does anyone know if the upgrade is going to be a download or a new disc, if it's the latter i doubt very much that postage will be included on a $12 upgrade, in which case i would hazard a guess & double the cost, & wait weeks for the disc.....
Tim

Originally I wasn't at all happy with the charge, not because of the price but more the principle. Having heard Andrews reasons I understand them, it's not his fault. The underlying reason is Sonic the company trying to pretend that the decoders are really new. If you're angry with anybody be angry with Sonic not Andrew.

All in all I'll probably get the upgrade as I've found issues with the old decoders.

John

I will be happy to pay the upgrade fee as it's not much money.

It has added functions as well as getting rid of the hardware assist problem in the catalyst drivers for the ATI cards.

We could argue that these should have been sorted free of charge(they had been sorted sort of!).
But i like supporting someone, who i can speak to direct via the website etc.
I asked for single frame advance, and it's in the new edition.

There will be a version 2.0 upgrade coming soon, and again there will be an upgrade fee.

There is also a rumoured plug-in for "case" (LCD etc) infomation display support.

Theaterteks biggest threat at the moment is if i go the SDI DVD player and Holograph 3D SDI input card route. But these cost a fair bit more!.

With the new decoders there should be fewer glitches now.;)

I agree with Pauls comments, i support the tt player and will be upgrading when it is available.

However i have decided to progress with technology and i am buying the hd3 card and sdi modded dvd player (just not sure which player to get as yet)

richard

I'll pay it with a smile, as long as we can get the upgrade on-line and not have to wait for some boat crossing the atlantic for a 2MB decoder kit and 96KB executable!

I will however GHOST backup my HTPC before I think about upgrading any such software.

Rob.

I'll pay it with a smile, as long as we can get the upgrade on-line and not have to wait for some boat crossing the atlantic for a 2MB decoder kit and 96KB executable!

My sentiments exactly:D
Whilst most here agree (me included) that Mr Chilvers had no choice but to charge for the upgrade, what i don't want is a disc based upgrade, an on-line download is what i'm hoping for.
Tim

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom