The YAMAHA DSP-AX757SE Home Cinema Amplifier

beerglass007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Yamaha A2 and was looking at buying a YAMAHA DSP-AX757SE.

Is the AMP any good and does the automatic setup with the microphone really work.

Also is pro-logic II worth it?

Thanks

The Yam's auto setup is very very good, generally regarded as the best available. It does more than the Denon equivelenat (parametric EQ for example) and it suprisingly accurate. The UK tuning also make the sound very clean and open.

As for PLII being worth it. I assume you are comparing to PL - significantly improved over PL as now allows for a full range stereo rear as aganst two mono speakers in PL which were restricted to a very narrow frequency band. It will simulate up to 6.1 from a stereo source. If you want 7.1 simulation you use PLIIx.

beerglass007 said:
I currently have a Yamaha A2 and was looking at buying a YAMAHA DSP-AX757SE.

Is the AMP any good and does the automatic setup with the microphone really work.

Also is pro-logic II worth it?

Thanks

The auto set up is crap use your own ears.

Set all speakers to small with LFE going to the Sub. Crossover should be set somewhere between 60-90.

Pro logic II is great for non DD or DTS sound formats.

gerbilly said:
The auto set up is crap use your own ears.

Set all speakers to small with LFE going to the Sub. Crossover should be set somewhere between 60-90.

Yamaha amps, when set to small speakers, set the crossover point to 90Hz automatically, any subsequent crosover setting is ignored. Pehaps your ears aren't as good as you seemed to make out if you could hear a diference when there was acctually no settings being changed!

How the hell you can suggest settings for someone without knowing their speakers, layout and other important info is beyond me. If it were this simple surly the auto setup would just "pretend" to hear the acoustics and set all speakers to small and guess the crossover point if your info is anything to go by.

Stick with the the auto setup - does a pretty good job and will be more accurate than setting up by ear - I wonder how many recording studios are set up "by ear" rather than with RTA's and other setup equipmnet. The Yamaha is basically a self correcting RTA.

The autosetup on the Yam is a strange beast but do not dismiss it. If you use it to set the amp up for the very first i.e never, ever used before and fresh out of its packaging it will do an excellent job. It got my setup set perfectly straight away. However, & here is the crux, I did some fiddeling with the settings just to see if they were indeed optimum. What happens now is that once the settings have been manually altered then the auto setup will NOT get the setup right. I seems to remember your maunal settings and uses those. All that is, except the speaker distance settings. Even if you do a hard reset of the hardware, the autosetup still refuses to play along. Curious but there you go.

chris. said:
Yamaha amps, when set to small speakers, set the crossover point to 90Hz automatically, any subsequent crosover setting is ignored. Pehaps your ears aren't as good as you seemed to make out if you could hear a diference when there was acctually no settings being changed!

How the hell you can suggest settings for someone without knowing their speakers, layout and other important info is beyond me. If it were this simple surly the auto setup would just "pretend" to hear the acoustics and set all speakers to small and guess the crossover point if your info is anything to go by.

Stick with the the auto setup - does a pretty good job and will be more accurate than setting up by ear - I wonder how many recording studios are set up "by ear" rather than with RTA's and other setup equipmnet. The Yamaha is basically a self correcting RTA.

Because I have used the auto set up on this amp about 20 times and each time it is different and each time the sound is awful. Most Home Cinema columns will advise you to set all your speakers to small when setting up your amp to ensure all lfe goes to the sub. Set the sub volume to slightly less than half way and the crossover on the sub at Max. I have mine set at 80 with the speakers set at small and it sounds great that way. Most people on here will tell you that auto set up for this amp is not very accurate at all.
For me each time it sounded tinny as hell and was totally unlistenable.

Once you get to spending ÂŁ800+ for your amps the auto set up are more accurate, even better than your ears though is to use a soundmeter.

gerbilly said:
Set the sub volume to slightly less than half way and the crossover on the sub at Max.

If I set my sub to just under half I'd end up bouncing across the living room :rotfl: ;)

I agree, the auto setup is a bit naff. Yes the upper class Yamaha auto setups are good, but the 757 version is a very stripped down version.

Don't disregard it totally, it will tell you if you wired a speaker out of phase by accident, and is fairly effective and distances, it's just the size/corssover/levels, which it seems to struggle with. I know the concensus is to set speakers to small, i'm in the other camp and set mine to large, but the auto setup always sets mine to small, which the they are definately not, not the biggest but never small IMO. Anyway, run it once and then adjust the settings manually.

I'm not sold on PLII, i prefer DTS neo6, and the only times i have treid to use it it leaves everything coming from the centre. Prime example is the Red Dwarf boxsets i got for xmas, in PLII or DTS neo for that matter, everything came from the centre, i ended up just using stereo.

I guess it may have its uses, i use it for TV films which it does ok. Actually thinking back, i watched a copy of Chronicles Of Riddick when i first got mine in PLII and i was stunned that the rears had proper stereo and ships whizzing about, but thats the only time it impressed me.

Blimey!

Some strong opinions here!

My experience is this - with the very amp.

I used auto setup and was happy but after many evenings reading on here decided to tinker. Tinker I did and I do think its improved - to my ears.

The autosetup does give erratic results - but not wildly. Searching on here suggests running it have a dozen times or so and recird then average the results. This may work for you. It will depend on your speakers and room size of course and some knowledge of them and their capabilites will help (speakers that is).

Of course oce you have played you can ask on here and see what others are running and try them.

If you want "perfect" sound then an SPL is the way to go - there are hundreds of threads on here about it but if you are happy with sounds and effects then happy you should be. Its a bit like the ISF arguement - its sets your screen to "perfect" but others prefer more/less contrast.colour etc.

As for PLII - I use it for non digitial sources (ex Sky box) and think it does a good job - but so does DTS Neo - I flick between the two and can't decide.

I think going from an A2 down to a 757 will be a big dissapointment. The A2 was a top quality amp in its day while the 757 (a good amp) is only top of the bottom range. You would be better of going for a 1600 at minimum so as not to be dissapointed.

Make sure you DEMO before parting with hard earned cash.

The YPAO on the 1400 is pretty accurate for Yamaha's first try . I always fiddle with the setting (always sets my crossover to 110, I run it at 80)and then use a Sound level meter afterwards to check.

Just to clarify, PLII, as the original PL, are first of all decoders for soundtracks that have been encoded into PLII. Take most recent PS2 games. They all have a PLII enabled soundtrack. If you select both this setting in your game and your amp, you will get the desired stereo effects in the back (good examples are GTA San Andreas, GT4 or even Resident Evil 4).

Trying to apply PLII to random stereo sources will get you various strange effects, most of them crap indeed. But do not judge the actual setting on a test you did with a soundtrack that had been designed to be played in stereo in the first place :)

Dfour said:
I think going from an A2 down to a 757 will be a big dissapointment.

I'd have to agree with this as far as stereo performance goes, but I don't think the surround performance will disappoint.

Where do you set the cross over options?

Via the Set Menu.

Manual Setup -> Sound Menu -> Speaker Set -> Cross Over

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom