The Xbox One General Chat thread

STANNY08

Just checked and it looks like it would press against the buttons, not sure what phone you have, I've got an S8+ and this case which has cutouts and would probably solve the issue.
Thanks for checking. I have a pixel 2 but no case, and I'm upgrading to the pixel 4 so won't be buying one. Still I've ordered that clip and will try come up with a solution.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
I must say I am very impressed so far with this game streaming preview. I am using a Samsung S4 Tablet wirelessly on 55mb broadband and it's running perfectly. Gears of War 5 took 38 seconds to load into the menu after clicking on the game icon. The only issue I have had is 5 seconds of audio break up at the start of a cutscene.

shoestring25

with the game streaming your playing on a tablet whats it like controlling it with the tablet controls.?and just another question this is all with the xbox one off or is it on being streamed from the console ?

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
with the game streaming your playing on a tablet whats it like controlling it with the tablet controls.?and just another question this is all with the xbox one off or is it on being streamed from the console ?
It doesn't have tablet controls you use an XBOX controller via bluetooth.

At the moment you can only stream via the cloud but it does say console streaming is coming.

RMGEE

I must say I am very impressed so far with this game streaming preview. I am using a Samsung S4 Tablet wirelessly on 55mb broadband and it's running perfectly. Gears of War 5 took 38 seconds to load into the menu after clicking on the game icon. The only issue I have had is 5 seconds of audio break up at the start of a cutscene.
My experience was not as good as yours, I kept getting a message saying I was having network issues and was on 2.4ghz, the lag made it impossible to play.

I've got the latest Sky router and running speedtest on my S8+ gave me speeds of 60 down / 15 up Mbps. I think I'll have to try splitting the 2.4/5ghz bands.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
Well today has been an utter nightmare.

I have had major lag on both the stream and the controller input. It got so bad I got game sickness (like motion sickness but with more empty bags of Doritos) and had to stop playing. I was playing Gears of War 5 and I couldn't aim straight, the crosshair yanked sharply to the left & right making smooth aiming impossible. When reloading it took a second from hitting the RB for it to register in the game.

RMGEE

@DAZ UK 74 sounds like what I was experiencing this morning, perhaps it was due to the second batch of invites being sent out?

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
@DAZ UK 74 sounds like what I was experiencing this morning, perhaps it was due to the second batch of invites being sent out?
After a little research it looks like 5ghz wireless is a must have, people using 2ghz are reporting the same issues as us. My tablet and router have 5ghz but I cannot work out how to put my tablet on it at the moment. Once I work it out I will report back the results.

EDIT: After switching over to 5ghz I saw a noticeable improvement over the earlier performance, it wasn't perfect though and when I switched back to 2ghz it did get worse.

Last edited:

STANNY08

It doesn't have tablet controls you use an XBOX controller via bluetooth.

At the moment you can only stream via the cloud but it does say console streaming is coming.
I think console streaming is available to those with consoles on the insider program, or some of them at least.

As for the streaming as it is im also very impressed. I'm using it on my phone (pixel 2), obviously it's connection dependant. In the WiFi at home it's flawless, on the 4g it's usually good but but obviously there are issues with the network holding up, but nothing they can do about that. But it's good enough that I load it up for half an hour or so at lunch time. If they price this right and give me access to all my games, I'm all in. I'm have to get an unlimited data plan for my phone mind, its obviously very data hungry. Seems to work out about 1.5Gig to 2 Gig an hour on 4g

bubs999

For some reason lately, my Xbox one has decided to do all game updates and system updates, during the day, which is hammering my connection! I have very slow broadband and if the Xbox is downloading, nothing else works.
It always used to download over night, which was never a problem. Is there anyway I can change this?
It's just started updating a game this morning, only realised as I was struggling to stream on my Fire TV.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
For some reason lately, my Xbox one has decided to do all game updates and system updates, during the day, which is hammering my connection! I have very slow broadband and if the Xbox is downloading, nothing else works.
It always used to download over night, which was never a problem. Is there anyway I can change this?
It's just started updating a game this morning, only realised as I was struggling to stream on my Fire TV.
There isn't any settings that you can set to do this, you would have to do it manually.

If you use Reddit you can go to the link below and put the idea to the MS engineers. You never know if it gets enough support they might add the feature at some point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/comments/djqiqo

STANNY08

I think the latest update listed improvements to the background update downloads, to reduce the chances of getting the "this game needs an update" message, I think this involves downloading the updates closer to when they are actually released, rather than waiting till that night to do them. I often had a situation where an update would be released during the day, but the console would wait till that night to download it, which means when I try to play that evening I would have to wait for the update. The improvement they've made solves that for me and probably others, unfortunately it doesn't help you.

bubs999

I think the latest update listed improvements to the background update downloads, to reduce the chances of getting the "this game needs an update" message, I think this involves downloading the updates closer to when they are actually released, rather than waiting till that night to do them. I often had a situation where an update would be released during the day, but the console would wait till that night to download it, which means when I try to play that evening I would have to wait for the update. The improvement they've made solves that for me and probably others, unfortunately it doesn't help you.
Yeah it would be nice to have an option, just checked again as the Internet is grinding along and Star Wars is updating, a 5GB update will take over an hour to download

STANNY08

Ended up cancelling that and ordering this instead. Looks the same but they came up for next day delivery.

Jovitec Foldable Controller Clip Mobile Phone Plastic Holder Smartphone Game Clamp for Xbox One Controller (2 Pack) Jovitec Foldable Controller Clip Mobile Phone Plastic Holder Smartphone Game Clamp for Xbox One Controller (2 Pack): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

STANNY08

Ended up cancelling that and ordering this instead. Looks the same but they came up for next day delivery.

Jovitec Foldable Controller Clip Mobile Phone Plastic Holder Smartphone Game Clamp for Xbox One Controller (2 Pack) Jovitec Foldable Controller Clip Mobile Phone Plastic Holder Smartphone Game Clamp for Xbox One Controller (2 Pack): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
I should add, these arrived yesterday and I've used them for 4-5 hours and they're pretty good. Do the job well, and some how it manages to avoid pressing the volume buttons on the side of the phone despite looking like it should. Would be nice if the screen angle could be adjusted, but in most situations so far the angle is about right.

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Quick question about controllers.
How long does it usually take before you notice significant stick drift?

I bought a Design Labs controller in July 2017, and in the time since I've spent more time at work than I've had spare time at home to game.
Probably about 1-2 hours at most week nights, and roughly 10-16 hours over weekends.
This doesn't include time off work.
Still, I wouldn't say the controller has had excessive use but I've noticed in the last couple of months that the left stick has started to drift upwards.

Just wondering if there's any solution.

gunner84

Quick question about controllers.
How long does it usually take before you notice significant stick drift?

I bought a Design Labs controller in July 2017, and in the time since I've spent more time at work than I've had spare time at home to game.
Probably about 1-2 hours at most week nights, and roughly 10-16 hours over weekends.
This doesn't include time off work.
Still, I wouldn't say the controller has had excessive use but I've noticed in the last couple of months that the left stick has started to drift upwards.

Just wondering if there's any solution.
Bought a new standard pad a couple of weeks ago as I had excessive stick drift on the left stick, it was bad enough for me to purchase a new one as in games I would start moving forwards on its own a lot in BFV and other games.
This was a Xbox X launch console pad.

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Bought a new standard pad a couple of weeks ago as I had excessive stick drift on the left stick, it was bad enough for me to purchase a new one as in games I would start moving forwards on its own a lot in BFV and other games.
This was a Xbox X launch console pad.
So the controller was about 2 years old?
Considering how much they cost, and that the Design Labs controllers cost more, you'd expect them to last longer.
Looks like I'm retiring my DL controller and using the practically untouched X1X standard controller.

gunner84

So the controller was about 2 years old?
Considering how much they cost, and that the Design Labs controllers cost more, you'd expect them to last longer.
Looks like I'm retiring my DL controller and using the practically untouched X1X standard controller.
yep, this was the official standard Xbox pad, I’m returning it soon under Microsoft warranty cover I purchased a while back.

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
yep, this was the official standard Xbox pad, I’m returning it soon under Microsoft warranty cover I purchased a while back.
I don't think there was extra cover offered when I bought my DL controller.
Already had to send it back not long after I got it as the Home button wasn't working properly.
Seriously sucks as I like the colours I choose plus it has my GT on it.

Miss Mandy

I don't think there was extra cover offered when I bought my DL controller.
Already had to send it back not long after I got it as the Home button wasn't working properly.
Seriously sucks as I like the colours I choose plus it has my GT on it.
The controllers are pretty easy to take apart so you could probably put new innards into your design labs housing if MS won't repair it for you.
It might even be an easy repair to do yourself anyway. I've had mind open to replace the plastic thumbsticks, but I can't remember whether the stick bits themselves are soldered on.

shoestring25

The controllers are pretty easy to take apart so you could probably put new innards into your design labs housing if MS won't repair it for you.
It might even be an easy repair to do yourself anyway. I've had mind open to replace the plastic thumbsticks, but I can't remember whether the stick bits themselves are soldered on.
the control sticks them selves are usually soldered onto the main board

shoestring25

my xbox one s has developed a bit of a fault its making this really annoying high pitched chirping noise looking online it seems like the fans bearing has gone. Im going to give it a go replace the fan there about £7 on ebay hope they are ok quality and are the right fan for the job.

Taking it apart thats going to be the hassle.

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Xbox are coming up for their forth generation console and still they can't produce a controller that doesn't sh*t the bed when it comes to stick drift.

I don't remember any of my PS2 controllers are having it so bad after such a short period.

Anyway, on another topic.
Is there any proper feedback system for Xbox and the content that's displayed on the Home screen.
No matter how many times I select the option "Show less like this", I'm still constantly bombarded with crap to do with Mixer and the dipsh*t streamers.
I don't care about Ninja or Shroud(whoever the fudge that is). And I never have or ever will watch them.
Every time I see them promoted on the Home screen I select the option to show less of that type of content, but I still see it. All the time.
So, is there any way, through the console or even Xbox.com that I can altered what shows up on my Home screen?