The X-Files - Season 11 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
The X files peaked with the first movie in 97 I think, fight for the future only time apart from watching top gun in an aircraft hanger in kandahar that I've seen an audience applaud a film.

It's had some decent episodes since then but for me that was the best it's ever been.

Gillian Anderson is a quality actress and its such a shame she became disillusioned with her character going nowhere and the crap writing that she left.

I would quite happily watch an X files movie with just her in where she receives a video from mulder asking for help and in the course of her trying to find him she discovers it's all true and ends up working with the nice aliens to battle the others with their son at her side.

Mitch Pileggi gets a scene where he sacrifices himself for scully fending off a hundred aliens with a baseball bat, he is a beast of a man.

Thanks for the Review Cas - was a big fan of the original series, but not caught any of the new series, & after your review, don't think I'm about to leap out & grab this collection either :)

Used to love the X Files, lost interest a long time ago with the mumbo jumbo storyline that started to quickly lose appeal if you ever missed an episode.

Thanks for the review though Cas, can’t say I’ll be watching it though.

I thought this season was much stronger than the previous one, as said in the reviews it has some very good episodes and its definitely worth a watch if you’re a fan of the original series.

Cheers Cas for the review.
Managed to watch this some weeks ago, we don't get many episodes now so it's a easy watch.
Smoking man is still around and some of the story lines are comical but it's X-files. :D
Some nice twists and turns.

Thanks.

Very fair review, cas.
I was struck how hit and miss the episodes were and how the leads clearly appeared to be enjoying some bits too much and couldn't care less with others dialing it in. Still worth watching as a fan, as it's not too stagnant.

Very fair review, much enjoyed the relationship between the two leads maturely handled and acknowledgement of aging (Mulders glasses) as all of the fans have over the years.
Whilst I very much enjoyed the last season this one felt very clunky and lazy in places - like a cheap C5 show? - and I’m pleased you also noticed the very poor acting from time to time which they get away with (just) on the high regard we all have for the actors and their characters over such a long period of time - can it really be 25 years!

Many thanks for the review Cas.

Completely agree with your comments.

The AI gone loco was a stand out episode for me and reminiscent of the best original episodes. Had me completely glued to the screen.

Are you blind? 'seemingly ageless Anderson' has has a seemingly endless supply of botox and nips and tucks! Lol
Is this that dreadful channel 5 comeback series or is there one after? I gave up after watch that mess.

Seeing this review was unexpected, since here in North America I don't think a release date has even been announced. Amazon.ca doesn't even have a listing yet for preordering it, although Amazon.com does but has no release date listed.

If ever you want a definition of, "flogging a dead horse", this is it.

The first five Seasons were gripping and entertaining and completely tapped into the zeitgeist. I managed a few episodes of Season Six, but it had rapidly gone downhill. And then Duchovny left (I don't know why; maybe he just got fed up with the demands of episodic TV, maybe he felt the show had run its course narratively) and I couldn't see any point in continuing to watch it without their relationship dynamic.

I understand it stumbled on for another two Seasons (?) going nowhere and saying nothing until even Anderson called it a day. Then everyone comes back for another payday based on its previous reputation and the goodwill of the fans for a taster of six episodes. And now we're here.

Is this ever going to end? They're going to destroy their legacy if they carry on like this.

I did not mind too much when Robbert Partick or Annabelle Gish took over but that was not the problem with the series it just seemed to have run out of ideas, but was about watchable but the return was abysmal and the last episode good grief just seemed like they planned to go on for 12 more episode and just before filming said the plug was being pulled so had to tie something's up in 1 episode.
1 main character of a season gets killed for the a mistake by the killer an other sort of implies there dead and and at long last smoking man gets killed:clap:all more or less within 5 min

I did not mind too much when Robbert Partick or Annabelle Gish took over but that was not the problem with the series it just seemed to have run out of ideas, but was about watchable but the return was abysmal and the last episode good grief just seemed like they planned to go on for 12 more episode and just before filming said the plug was being pulled so had to tie something's up in 1 episode.
1 main character of a season gets killed for the a mistake by the killer an other sort of implies there dead and and at long last smoking man gets killed:clap:all more or less within 5 min

Surprised in some ways by the review as @Casimir Harlow mentioned on the podcast how much he was enjoying this series. I guess the last couple episodes diminished the series as a whole?

It's definitely a wasted opportunity. It was a perfect scenario to tie up the legacy with a clear end-game, but it's clear Chris Carter has lost any semblance of focus. I can see it's difficulty because I think the fans are divided by what makes the show, the conspiracy or the standalones, and I don't think CC gets it any more. Likewise quality of TV writing and production has long eclipsed the X-Files which to it's credit was a pioneer.

Probably my favourite programme ever (alongside Cheers and Magnum pi) but these 2 follow-up series have been overall varied in quality, without any consistent heights, once you got the nostalgia out of the way.

In hindsight it should have been one mini-series tying up the Colony/Conspiracy, and if that was successful a few one-off TV movies thereafter, with great one-off concepts and storyline, justifying the effort, without the clumsy attempt to reboot and modernise the premise.

If you look at a show that has no right to still exist in a similar genre, Supernatural, 15 seasons and counting, which stays watchable because it has made smart choices in expanded storyline, whilst still fitting inside the original premise, and the whole cast and crew seem to work within their limitations whilst having fun.

Surprised in some ways by the review as @Casimir Harlow mentioned on the podcast how much he was enjoying this series. I guess the last couple episodes diminished the series as a whole?

It's definitely a wasted opportunity. It was a perfect scenario to tie up the legacy with a clear end-game, but it's clear Chris Carter has lost any semblance of focus. I can see it's difficulty because I think the fans are divided by what makes the show, the conspiracy or the standalones, and I don't think CC gets it any more. Likewise quality of TV writing and production has long eclipsed the X-Files which to it's credit was a pioneer.

Probably my favourite programme ever (alongside Cheers and Magnum pi) but these 2 follow-up series have been overall varied in quality, without any consistent heights, once you got the nostalgia out of the way.

In hindsight it should have been one mini-series tying up the Colony/Conspiracy, and if that was successful a few one-off TV movies thereafter, with great one-off concepts and storyline, justifying the effort, without the clumsy attempt to reboot and modernise the premise.

If you look at a show that has no right to still exist in a similar genre, Supernatural, 15 seasons and counting, which stays watchable because it has made smart choices in expanded storyline, whilst still fitting inside the original premise, and the whole cast and crew seem to work within their limitations whilst having fun.
I watch Supernatural each week although missed a lot of seasons maybe when they stopped putting them out on the main channel.
Another long running series I enjoyed to the end apart from a few comedy ones was SG1 which kept it fresh with a new set of villains. I also enjoyed right up to the end SG Atlantis (only 5 seasons) that was dumped for SG Universe which I stuck with for 3 episodes.

I really enjoyed season 11, Felt much more like The Xfiles of old. Season 10 felt like a parody of itself but season 11 was back to form. Shame its ending on that ending with all the unanswered questions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom