The X-Box, The Projector and The Gun!

C

chris6364

Just wondering...

Looking at buying a gun for my x-box - but it's hooked up to my projector which is projecting on a professional screen. Simple question is - will the gun work?

Thanks in advance guys...

Home guns, are designed for 50/60hz interlace TV, the flash which comes on screen is what is being reflected into the gun to place the shot. In the arcades however the screens are still interlaced I believe at either 60 or 120hz but still interlaced (you can use a CRT rear-projection screen for light-gun games).

Rich

the latest light guns work on 100hz/prog scan tvs too.

I used to use a gun on a toshiba rear projection tv :)

Think it was time crisis on the ps1

Originally posted by Games Guru
the latest light guns work on 100hz/prog scan tvs too.

They claim to , but you'll bve hard pushed to find anyone thats actually managed to get them working.

This is how a light gun works (Originally posted by Taz)

"To create this effect, the gun contains a photodiode (or a phototransistor) in the barrel. The photodiode is able to sense light coming from the screen. The gun also contains a trigger switch. The output of the photodiode and the switch are fed to the computer controlling the game.

At the same time, the computer is getting signals from the screen driver electronics. If you have read How Television Works, you know about the horizontal retrace and vertical retrace signals used to align the picture on the screen. The screen driver electronics send pulses to the computer at the start of the horizontal and vertical retrace signals, so the computer knows where on the screen the electron beam is located during each frame. "

Still awake :boring:

"The computer normally uses one of two different techniques to figure out whether or not the gun is pointed at the target when the user pulls the trigger:

The computer blanks the screen and then paints just the target object white. If the photodiode senses darkness after one vertical retrace signal and then light after the next, the computer assumes that the gun is pointed at the target and scores a hit.

The computer blanks the screen and then paints the entire screen white. It takes time for the electron beam to trace the entire screen while painting it white. By comparing the signal coming from the photodiode with the horizontal and vertical retrace signals, the computer can detect where the electron beam is on the screen when the photodiode first senses its light. The computer counts the number of microseconds that pass between the time the horizontal and vertical retrace signals start and the time the photodiode first senses light. The number of microseconds tells the computer exactly where on the screen the gun is pointing. If the calculated position and the position of the target match, the computer scores a hit."

Got that :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom