The Worst Winters

John Simon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As per title really, what were the worst winters you remember.

Please do not say Mike & Bernie :suicide:

I don't actually remember the worst winter ever - as I was only 2 months old at the time. But my parents told me that 1963 was a s bad as it ever got.

Some kids got sent home every year (during the 70s) due to snow. They had to catch a particular school bus from Burnley, Lancs over t'hill to Todmorden. That really used to hack me off.

Personally I can remember a few days in 1991, the only time i was ever off work due to snow, as being pretty bad. The snow was over a foot deep on the pavements outside the house (Todmorden, West Yorkshire). All the hill roads nearby were blocked totally.

But nothing much at all over the last 10 years.

yes I remember 1991 had about three or 4 days off school. The snow in my area was about 1 foot deep. There has been nothing like it since, there was a bit of snow around late 94/early 95 but it did not match 1991. There was also that very cold spell in the late 90's temperatures in some places were at about -25 at night

I think 1976 was bad too....that was after a extrmely hot summer too!

It depends upon your perspective...I remember 1991 as the best winter ever...it snowed loads! My brothers and I live in the Vale of York at the foot of the Wolds and I remember us and four or five mates scanning the hills to see which one would make a good sledge run...we trudged for an hour and a bit to get to the one we picked, having to cross a stream in the process (we vandalised a farmer's fence to make a bridge)!

...that slege run was probably one of our greatest achievements to date, by the end of the day there were around 25 extra people who had spotted it and made the trek to join us! Yep...1991 was probably the BEST winter ever.

The Winter of discontent.

ufitsy said:

GaryB said:
Mike & Bernie Winters.
:confused:

By the way Bernie Winters was a funny guy if you ever saw him on Give Us A Clue.

ufitsy said:

That'll teach me to read the whole thing before posting. I didn't notice that earlier.

I'll have a few of these :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

I live in Cornwall - we don't get winters :smashin:

Chris Lamle said:
I don't actually remember the worst winter ever - as I was only 2 months old at the time. But my parents told me that 1963 was a s bad as it ever got.

I can confirm that the winter of 1963 was bad. In London the snow was more than 2 feet deep in places. Fortunately it didn't last for very long. In contrast, 1991 was not only very cold, but the cold spell was also very long - I seem to recall that my windsceen washers didn't defrost at all for more than 5 weeks :rolleyes:

Lex said:
I live in Cornwall - we don't get winters :smashin:

of course you get winters - but whether you get snow or not is another matter...;)

I was 10 years old in 1963 and I can remember it as a long cold winter. We were skating on rivers (very sensible) and also recollect the wild birds dying from the cold and the lack of food because everywhere was frozen. 1976 was pretty rough too but I think that 1963 is the winner in my personal experience.

This last winter, although not severe has seemed to last and last. Any winter is bad IMO - I just feel like hibernating.

This winter has not been bad only had rain on a few days, but in 2003 I think we had at least ten days where it rained, even had to cancel one of my BBQ's. I hope we don't see many of those winters:D

Jake

This one for sure - although fairly dry, bar the first two weeks or so of January, I've had two doses of flu, cold and cough (cold and cough lingered for weeks after). Not something I really want to go through again in a hurry. 2001 winter wasn't much good either - we seemed to have a load of rain from about November 2001 - April 2002.

I was also 10 in 1963 and can remember trying to ride my bike to school after 2 foot of snowfall, very entertaining. We were poor back then but by-gum we were appy. Living in a shoe box at the bottom of the garden sitting around dads tongue sucking a polo mint to keep warm aye and we were t'lucky ones

The sixteen year cycle of bad winters held true for a while. By far the most severe was 1947. At the end of january an omega block led to some areas of the UK being below freezing for almost 6 weeks. At Kew, no sunshine at all was recorded for four weeks and snow depths hit 35 foot drifts in the yorkshire dales. Likewise 63 was particularly harsh, and although temperatures were not as severe snowfall totals were high in 1979.

Incidently this winter was the first for a long time where the atlantic was not dominating leading to extremely mild 'modern winters'

rdt123 said:
The sixteen year cycle of bad winters held true for a while. By far the most severe was 1947. At the end of january an omega block led to some areas of the UK being below freezing for almost 6 weeks. At Kew, no sunshine at all was recorded for four weeks and snow depths hit 35 foot drifts in the yorkshire dales. Likewise 63 was particularly harsh, and although temperatures were not as severe snowfall totals were high in 1979.

Incidently this winter was the first for a long time where the atlantic was not dominating leading to extremely mild 'modern winters'

Stand up Michael Fish you have been recognised :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom