• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The World in Wall-E

BAN5HEE

Prominent Member
Stuart's are you going to get a tablet and the responses with what people do with them got me thinking. Are we heading into a world where like in the Wall-E movie everything we do is going to be tablet\phone\pc based and Human interaction even with your partners\children will be limited to talking to them via a screen\media site\messenger service?
Just some of the responses seem to me that without the tablet you may actually spend some quality time with your partner\spouse\kids instead of one or both or all of you being on the tablet watching tv\facebook\browsing the web or playing games.
I have come across this before where people on my facebook are all animated and talk alot and respond to things but as soon as they find themselves in an environment where they are face to face with this person they act completely different. Almost shy as if they don’t know how to initiate or start conversation without the help of their phone or some kind of app.

RMCF

Distinguished Member
I don't do FB or Twitter myself, but I do know some work colleagues and others outside of work who would have hundreds of 'friends' on FB, yet are socially inept, with little or no communication skills.

Its easy to talk to people on the net if you are shy.

Bill Hicks

Banned
I'm not sure how this over reliance/use of technology will pan out and what impact it will have on us.
Yes more connectivity with social media but at what price?
Humans are emotional social creatures and if you take out the fundamental interactions and signals that one to one communication allows us you are left with the shell of it's interpretation and the emphatic emotion is lost.
Humanity could loose a very important aspect that defines us.
AVF to me proves this point. There are posters who either already know each other or who have met sociably on an occasion or more. Their interactions are I believe more profound on a personal level compared to postings between strangers who possibly do not know each others real names as it's hard to have an emotional connection to someone you don't know and you have never interacted with on a personal level no matter what the sentiment is.

I have a couple of hundred Facebook friends but I only ever talk to 3 of them.
My definition of friend is someone I have a bind with emotionally. Anyone else outside of family is an acquaintance. Depends I guess on your definitions I suppose.

The internet is the most powerful tool invented that will alter our social nature irrevocably.
Either for the good or for the bad is once again down to your opinion ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 498601

I still find it strange that Faceache and twotter are called 'social networking sites'. But you sit on your own when using them? Odd.

Last edited by a moderator:

RMCF

Distinguished Member
True, more like Unsocial Networking.

People chat on FB who wouldn't speak if they had to in real life.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Aren't all of these "Social Networking" sites, just computerised gossip sites, for people to post stuff that in actuality, is worthless guff? :confused:

Their creators may well have had good intentions originally, but their creations have all been perverted by the worst of society, and used as nothing more than glorified toilet walls, and gossip columns.

I guess, like all technology though, there's always going to be someone who wants to abuse it, simply because they can.

Facebook can be good, for keeping in touch with people who live on different continents, or whom you can't physically get to see that often, but otherwise, they're just a waste of time. The occasional worthy post, is outweighed by the large amount of complete toss that gets posted.

Just my opinion mind...

Pooch

Bill Hicks

Banned
Chox1988 said:
Its interesting that gets said about facebook around these parts all the time but the reality is here is probably just as bad if not worse. Just a thought i was musing about.

There isn't that much difference between GC and Facebook.
Both are used to mostly chew the fat over something usually inconsequential, but saying that most of the other forums are a mine of valuable information, if your looking to set up a av system etc.
Have to admit though that Facebook is very handy for keeping up with friends & family occasionally but it still shouldn't replace direct communication such as the phone or in person.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Both are used to mostly chew the fat over something usually inconsequential, but saying that most of the other forums are a mine of valuable information, if your looking to set up a av system etc.
Have to admit though that Facebook is very handy for keeping up with friends & family occasionally but it still shouldn't replace direct communication such as the phone or in person.

Totally agree with all that :)

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Its interesting that gets said about facebook around these parts all the time but the reality is here is probably just as bad if not worse. Just a thought i was musing about.

But here you know you are dealing with strangers.

In FB most people would at least know or have meet through another person, their 'friends'.

Difference is, they aren't really friends in any shape or form in real life, so its all very false. If FB reflected real life, most people would have about a dozen friends at most (excluding family).

D

Deleted member 498601

Bill Hicks said:

I don't agree with this at all. FB is ( in my experience) never used for the passing or sharing of useful information. It's mainly used for people to tell others completely inane crap about what they've done in the past 2 minutes of their lives. I've never seen a thread in GC titled 'I'm so fed up...' so that others are forced to ask the OP what's wrong to give them a false sense of worth, but I used to see those exact words used in FB status updates on an almost daily basis.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Doug the D said:
I don't agree with this at all. FB is ( in my experience) never used for the passing or sharing of useful information. It's mainly used for people to tell others completely inane crap about what they've done in the past 2 minutes of their lives. I've never seen a thread in GC titled 'I'm so fed up...' so that others are forced to ask the OP what's wrong to give them a false sense of worth, but I used to see those exact words used in FB status updates on an almost daily basis.

If your friends are vacuous bores, don't blame Facebook (aka the messenger :)) for making you realise it.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I find Facebook a useful tool for keeping in contact with people who otherwise I would struggle to. For example, friends I have in other countries, and people that live halfway across the country that I might not see for long periods of time. We all lead busy lives these days, and it's not just as simple as "making a phone call" in reality - when they're free, you're busy, and vice versa. It's also a great way to share pictures and events with multiple people, without having to send a picture to each person via email or MMS, etc.

I don't bother with Twitter - to me it just seems like a way to pretend to be "friends" with celebrities that actually don't give a toss about you

But I also don't get the people that have thousands of "friends" on the likes of facebook, when the vast majority of them are people you have never met, or would ever be likely to. I have about 140 friends on my Facebook, and I think 4 of them are people I've not actually met in person. Three of them are people I've "known" for years, introduced to by the internet (ie, forums, friends of friends, etc), and 1 is a drummer who I like to keep up to date with what they're up to. Other than that, every single person I'm friends with on FB are people who I actually know and have met in real life, and converse/interact with on a pretty regular basis. But many of them aren't people I would call up on the phone to chat with. Which is where FB comes into being a useful tool to keep up to date with people without becoming invasive (for want of a better word). I think of it like my iPod - there's nothing on it that I dislike, but there's some stuff that I listen to a lot, and other stuff I only listen to occasionally.

What really gets me is people who live together, writing on each other's status' while they are sat in the same room as each other. What is THAT all about?

Last edited:

Foebane72

Prominent Member
I remember my mother got quite irate with me because back in the 1980s and 1990s I spent most of my time in front of a screen, whether it be a cinema screen, TV screen or just using my Atari computer. I was into making Super 8 cine films at the time, and my Dad suggested why don't I do that on the cine editor I had at the time, to which my mother retorted, "oh GREAT, another SCREEN."

:rolleyes:

mooperman

Distinguished Member
i always get a little chuckle out of people who criticise Facebook/Twitter on an internet forum.... ;)

For me FB is great for keeping up with family who i dont get to see as often as i would like (because of distance) and also the same with friends.... Plus, if i want to arrange a night out with the lads or send something over ive seen its easy to tap out a couple of names and let everyone see it at the same time, basically for me facebook makes life easy. :)

Twitter - just handy for keeping up with the latest bit of info for me, for example i follow a fair amount of UFC fighters and they do post up some interesting things sometimes. ;)

D

Deleted member 498601

i always get a little chuckle out of people who criticise Facebook/Twitter on an internet forum.... ;)

Why? The 2 things are completely different. If you were to come on here, and tell me what you were doing, and when, and with whom, I'd have absolutely no interest, which to me is what happens on 'social networking' sites.

There is also a degree of anonymity on these forums, which if asking for advice on a particularly sensitive subject, can be a good thing.
I don't have loads of mates (there, I said it!), but the ones I do care enough about, I will ring, or text to arrange things.

I'm not bashing FB, it's just not for me. When I have used it in the past, I've been frustrated at the amount of back-stabbing and bickering which goes on.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Why? The 2 things are completely different. If you were to come on here, and tell me what you were doing, and when, and with whom, I'd have absolutely no interest, which to me is what happens on 'social networking' sites.

There is also a degree of anonymity on these forums, which if asking for advice on a particularly sensitive subject, can be a good thing.
I don't have loads of mates (there, I said it!), but the ones I do care enough about, I will ring, or text to arrange things.

I'm not bashing FB, it's just not for me. When I have used it in the past, I've been frustrated at the amount of back-stabbing and bickering which goes on.

The door of anonyminity (SP?) swings both ways though, if someone here is being a bit of a prick i choose to ignore it but ultimately accept that they will continue to post here and thats that.... on FB i can see who is being a prick and remove them accordingly (not that i need to do that as i have a limited amount of friends/family on mine). ;)

D

Deleted member 498601

Crikey. One minute we're talking about (anti) social networking , the next about doors swinging both ways. I love GC!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom