1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Wonder Stuff

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by cheeseywang, Dec 5, 2003.

1. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Went to see The Wonder Stuff at Hammersmith last night. All in this is something like the 15/16th time I've seen them since 1989, the last time was a couple of years ago.

It's disappointing that they aren't going to produce any new music, but going to see them strut their stuff once in a while reminds me what a killer live act they were/are. Not to mention the great songs. Do yourself a favour and check them out next time they come to your neck of the woods. Oldies but goldies!:clap:

On the down side, Ticketmaster slapped an extra fiver on the cost of each ticket - how do they continue to get away with this?:nono:

Back on the upside again, I understand Miles Hunt is to release a new solo album early next year.:D

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Has somebody recently covered Welcome to the cheap seats?
    heard it a couple of times recently, may be its been re released ?

Ah yes Size of a Cow remember it well.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, the've released a live dvd...whats that like..?

I used to be a fan, seen them live up at newcastle's riverside!!

4. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not aware of anyone covering "Welcome to the Cheap Seats" - I'll have to do some research. They certainly haven't re-released it.

I haven't seen the live DVD although a mate has promised me a lend of his. I think it was recorded at the Forum in London last year.

I forgot to mention that Voice of the Beehive were supporting at Hammersmith. I was never a fan, but they were really good. I'd forgotten how many good songs they had.

5. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i'd love to see this eight legged groove machine, but my one legged funk buggy regrettably resricts me, hopefully i'll become two legged again before them...

6. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I last saw them in 91, at the Brxton Academy. I think it was their 'sleigh the UK' winter tour.

I'm going to have to go and dig out Eight Legged Groove Machine and Hup now...do you think Carter USM will come back, too??

7. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Miles Hunt's solo stuff is well worth checking out - I've seen him live a few times; he used to do a good mixture of accoustic Stuffies songs and his solo stuff, but now sticks to his solo stuff.
    As for Carter USM - Jimbob and Fruitbat now have their own bands, but get back together every now and again for a joint tour with some classic Carter tunes at the end. All the info is on their website - think its www.carterusm.co.uk
    You can't beat retro indie music !

8. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Stuffies have announced some dates in October. Check your favourite licenced tout (you know who you are) for details. I'll be at the London Astoria on the 12th (thanks to Ivan for arranging the tickets).

I also saw Miles at the Half Moon in Putney in May. Highly entertaining as ever. Four or five excellent new songs and some really funny chat in between. Malc Treece joined him for an encore of Wonder Stuff classics. I believe Miles is there again in August - I urge you to go if you can get there. His next solo album is out in September on IRL entitled "Escape from rubbish island".

9. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It turns out that this album is to be released under the guise of "The Wonder Stuff" although from what I can tell Miles is the only original member to have any input into the writing and recording. There are also rumours flying around about who will be missing from the line up for the October gigs.

Sounds like it has all gone sour again...

10. trainspotter

trainspotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the rumours are confirmed, there is a statement from Martin Gilkes & Martin Bell at www.thewonderstuff.com

11. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have now had a copy of the new album "Escape from rubbish island" for a week and I really like it. No fiddle for the first time since the first album but none the worse for it. Certainly better than the majority of Miles' solo material - although ironically this album was written and recorded to be released as a solo effort.

Not classic Wonder Stuff as you might remember them but sounds like a mixture of Vent 414 and Miles' solo material. Don't be put off by the single "...fist fight" it's not the strongest track on the album.

I recommend you investigate this at your earliest convenience. :thumbsup:

12. trainspotter

trainspotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I great new album, good to hear some new songs at the gigs too.

The warm up shows featured nothing from the Paul Clifford era with the exception of On The Ropes, so its all very oldies and brand newies

13. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Saw the first night of the tour last night in Leeds.

Really good night - a good mixture of stuff from the new album - which I'd be grateful if CD-Wow would get round to positng to me.... :lease:
    and some really old stuff.
    Highlights for me were A Wish Away, Grin, Radio Ass Kiss (not heard that in years !), 30 Years in the Bathroom and Ten Trenches Deep. Miles and Malc were on good form, and the new bass player and drummer fitted in well. Miles was as sarcastic as ever, and they finished with Don't be Sad - played about 75 minutes in total.

Ian.

14. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't know that one - is it a new one that's not on the album?

15. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Its an old one, and I'm not sure it's called that - my memory is not what is what though.........
    Lyrics "Don't be miserable, Don't be sad, I'm not the worst daydream that you ever had........"
    Feel free to correct me !

16. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That'll be "Room 410" the last track on HUP. Good to hear that they have decided to dust that one off and give it an airing again. The final song is traditionally "Good night though" so it's good to know they're mixing it up. Can't wait for the 12th at the Astoria :cool:

17. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    In case anyone's interested, 101cd.com are doing the original 4 Stuffies albums for the bargain price of £4.99 each. I only ever had Groove Machine, Hup and Never Loved Elvis on cassette, so I snapped 'em up !

18. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Saw them at the Astoria on Tuesday night and was impressed. Lots of old material that has not seen the light of day for many many years and didn't miss the fiddle at all. And the new material sounded good live. The stuffies ride again. :thumbsup:

Hup hup and away...

19. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Went to see Miles Hunt do his solo "thing" last night.

Top entertainment it was too........he was on for 2 hours, and did a mix of solo stuff, covers, old Stuffies tunes and new Stuffies tunes. And he talked. And talked, and talked........... :D
    He mentionned that The Wonderstuff are working on a new album, and that he might do another solo album as well, as he enjoys doing the solo gigs so much.
    Must have been less than 100 of us there, but well worth seeing.

Oh and Mark McCarthy (new Stuffies bass player) was running the merchandise stall :)

Ian.

20. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw his show at the Half Moon in Putney last week. Highly entertaining. If you enjoy the chat, check out his rantings here