The Witcher Season 2 (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Slinkywizard

Definitely found its feet in this second season, after season one, with its just completely baffling and unsignposted time jumps. I liked how...

They even made a reference to the season one sh*tty timeline signposting when the sailor critiques the bard's song, saying 'I couldn't follow the tricky timeline jumps' and more.

The presentation is utterly beautiful IMO, with very well graded HDR, deep blacks, vibrant colours, beautifully sharp. The sound is also very well mixed.

And I think we have to ask ourself how much fantasy material we actually have that's aimed at adults. There was Game of Thrones, sure, but since then it's pretty much wall to wall, crushingly cringe YA stuff.

The story and characters in the second season are much better paced and just work better overall. I think the acting is better as everyone seems much more settled into their roles, Cavill included.

Overall, an 8.5 out of ten from me. It's doing a good job at what it's attempting, the VFX are much improved, the acting is much improved and the story cohesion is much improved. Would probably get a 7.5 from me if the images and audio weren't so damn good, so that's factored into my score.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Finished it tonight.

Personally I loved season 1, think I gave it 9/10. Season two was also good, but I'd probably agree with the review score and go 7/10.

Bit disappointed that it was devoid of nudity on season two, where as s1 it was all over the place. I do like some nice medieval nudity in my fantasy shows, ala early GoT.

clinteatswood

just watching now , loved the first series , this looks to be the same , great production values , hope it still retains the lol moments.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
I think I'd have enjoyed this season a lot more if I hadn't read the books. Certainly the response from my friends has been really positive, they all enjoyed it more than the first and can't wait for the third. For me, The Expanse is the benchmark for how to do TV adaptations right, making enough changes to make it work on TV but keeping the central characters true to the source material, and this just fell very short of it.
I had the same thought every time I talked with my friends, who did not read the books or played the games and enjoyed the TV series. As it happens all of the ones who read the books were disappointed with the TV show as they were expecting more. But then again, there are certain elements missing such as the character build-up, story-line, motivation and their agenda as well as the time-space continuum that were rubbish.

It is still eons away from GoT.

StefanBFC

Just finished season 2.
I definitely prefer Season 2, I really enjoyed this. Some of the action scenes to go with a great story were stunning. Great sound too.

Having played the game, I really am looking forward to Season 3. Plus Blood Origin set before hand looks great.

Lights 31

I think I enjoyed this as much as the first season. Solid stuff. Hopefully the wait for season 3 isn't too long.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Just finished season 2.
I definitely prefer Season 2, I really enjoyed this. Some of the action scenes to go with a great story were stunning. Great sound too.

Having played the game, I really am looking forward to Season 3. Plus Blood Origin set before hand looks great.
Are you waiting for the Witcher 4 - the game?

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Season two is bad and illogical - it is not based on the book (as the creators announced), but only slightly inspired. Season 3 will be even worse (as already announced)
announced by the director? They should use this phrase in the promo material.
For the Love of Emhyr, don't watch Season 3, it will be even worse than Season 2.

Lettice Leaf

I enjoyed season 1 and also 2 but not quite as much. The fight scenes were very well choreographed and I know I am in the minority but I like the Bard as he is a good foil for Geralt's humour. What I found slightly annoying was the hut on legs - why?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I enjoyed season 1 and also 2 but not quite as much. The fight scenes were very well choreographed and I know I am in the minority but I like the Bard as he is a good foil for Geralt's humour. What I found slightly annoying was the hut on legs - why?

It's a character (from the wider franchise) loosely based on
Baba Yaga, a powerful witch who lived in the woods, in a living hut that sat on chicken legs. One of the most popular fairytales about Baba Yaga is Vasilisa the Beautiful, where she was arguably portrayed in a much less definitively 'evil' way than in Witcher. If you don't know the franchise or the folklore, then the hut is admittedly a little odd.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I struggled to get through that I have to say, but fortunately the last few episodes really cranked up the dial, and what a finale.
Also that freeze frame multiple murder by the Nilfgardian lady (forget all the names) - BRUTAL!!

I struggle with the show overall however. Feels like such a mishmash of tones, styles, production values, accents, ethnicities and sub genres that it doesn’t fully cohere for me. I don’t believe in this world in the way I can immerse myself in Westeros, Middle Earth, or the galaxy far far away.

Marshall Mike

As much as I enjoyed S1, this season was more of a struggle for me. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I did fall asleep during a few episodes. I didn't even go back to see what I missed so it has obviously lost my attention.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member

Nexus43

After my initial concern at the move away from the book series 2 is based on I have to say this absolutely turned itself around, it was brilliant, what a ramp up of episodes to the end, all of the beginning episodes helped make the ending so satisfying as we became fully invested in the characters. (once I got over the book changes)
The pretty poor adaptation of Wheel of Time has got a long way to go to get even within a mile of this.
Foundation on AppleTV did something similar to Witcher season 2 and ended very strongly.

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Really enjoyed season 1.
Season 2 got off to a good start, love the look of it, humour and characters but from ep4 > I started to lose interest. Ep 6 felt like a chore, thankfully it ended well. Hoping the last 2 eps pick up.

I made the mistake of starting to watch Reacher when I needed a Witcher break, I now want to finish Reacher, only 1 ep in and loving it. Big fan of Cruise, but I already prefer this new dude.

I’ve made it this far, so will finish it off over the weekend, so far definitely weaker than S1 for me but I’m assuming it will start to improve…

darren68uk

Really enjoyed season 1.
Season 2 got off to a good start, love the look of it, humour and characters but from ep4 > I started to lose interest. Ep 6 felt like a chore, thankfully it ended well. Hoping the last 2 eps pick up.

I made the mistake of starting to watch Reacher when I needed a Witcher break, I now want to finish Reacher, only 1 ep in and loving it. Big fan of Cruise, but I already prefer this new dude.

I’ve made it this far, so will finish it off over the weekend, so far definitely weaker than S1 for me but I’m assuming it will start to improve…
i had a very stop start with Witcher season 1, but liked it and love Cavil as the main man in it, so will prob watch it again then season 2,
re Reacher, Love Tom but the Mrs and I, both agreed it wasn't a roll for him, but this Guy, Alan Ritchson, he was also in smallville and DC titans, this was made for him, you'll be wishing season 2 was here already :). but back on topic, looking forward to watching season 1 and 2 of witcher

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
I struggled to get through that I have to say, but fortunately the last few episodes really cranked up the dial, and what a finale.
Also that freeze frame multiple murder by the Nilfgardian lady (forget all the names) - BRUTAL!!

I struggle with the show overall however. Feels like such a mishmash of tones, styles, production values, accents, ethnicities and sub genres that it doesn’t fully cohere for me. I don’t believe in this world in the way I can immerse myself in Westeros, Middle Earth, or the galaxy far far away.
I totally agree. The segment with Fringilla freezing the whole gang was one of the best quality scenes of the whole series.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom