The Witcher 3 (PS4)

Well I've just finished my first play through,took just over 200 hours but I didnt bother at all with Gwent,I will do on my next one though. Absolutely amazing game!! I think this is one of those games where lots of others will be judged by. I was hooked from start to finish,great story and every mission was interesting,never seemed to be any filler or padding at all. Also the atmosphere is amazing,not just the graphics but sound,like hearing the trees in the woods.

The two add on packs were fantastic and in some ways even better than the main game.

I'm waiting for the pro patch until my second play through with new game + and death march difficulty,looking forward to it already!! I bet 4k supersampling to 1080p will look stunning in this game!

Last edited:
Recently finished the main story after 70 hours - easily the best game I've ever played, it's stunning :smashin:

Have around 30 side quests, treasure hunts and contracts to do and will start the DLC as well. Currently taking a break and starting Mass Effect - big fan of the previous ones but 2 hours into Andromeda and it's already becoming a chore - doesn't look great so far, bad performance and dreadful story and acting.

Witcher 3 has ruined gaming for me :( :D

I feel the same way. I remember when i first played Resident Evil 4 on release. I was so blown away by it that no other game seemed that good afterwards.

I think it will be the same with Witcher 3,I can see me playing other games but thinking back to it lol. Being a life long gamer though I can appreciate and have fun with most games,but this one has set the bar very high for the future!!

The DLC is excellent by the way,both are fanstastic stories.

I feel the same way. I remember when i first played Resident Evil 4 on release. I was so blown away by it that no other game seemed that good afterwards.

I think it will be the same with Witcher 3,I can see me playing other games but thinking back to it lol. Being a life long gamer though I can appreciate and have fun with most games,but this one has set the bar very high for the future!!

The DLC is excellent by the way,both are fanstastic stories.

Think I'll finish the Blood & Wine DLC over the next month or two and then wait for the Pro patch to start it all again.

Playing Horizon ZD now and 6 hours in it's a cracking game - definitely worth getting if anyone hasn't played it.
Very much a watered down RPG, more of a mix between Witcher and Tombraider so quite simple crafting etc... but looks stunning and the combat is phenomenal.

Think I'll finish the Blood & Wine DLC over the next month or two and then wait for the Pro patch to start it all again.

Playing Horizon ZD now and 6 hours in it's a cracking game - definitely worth getting if anyone hasn't played it.
Very much a watered down RPG, more of a mix between Witcher and Tombraider so quite simple crafting etc... but looks stunning and the combat is phenomenal.

Blood and Wine is amazing,much bigger than i expected too with loads to do.

I'm looking forward to playing through Horizon ZD but i've got a massive back log to get through plus i'm playing through a few old favourites at the mo.

Second for horizon zd. Just platinumed it, only my second. It wasn't even that onerous, mainly pottering about, got to the end and had missed a couple of them that were easy to get.

Second for horizon zd. Just platinumed it, only my second. It wasn't even that onerous, mainly pottering about, got to the end and had missed a couple of them that were easy to get.

I've found that it's a lot less structured than Witcher where you can wander about but the quests are very structured and set and proper stories.
Horizon to me so far seems to be just pootling around attacking Dino-machines with the odd simple quest along the way - loads of fun though.

Yeah I agree. I think zd has taken on the witcher 3 quests in that they have made the people human and you (kinda) empathise with them. Which is a good thing imo.

I've found that it's a lot less structured than Witcher where you can wander about but the quests are very structured and set and proper stories.
Horizon to me so far seems to be just pootling around attacking Dino-machines with the odd simple quest along the way - loads of fun though.

Yeah, HZD is a great game but compared to Witcher 3, its no contest, Witcher 3 has so much more depth to it, story wise and the world around you.

I need to replay this, not ever played any of the DLC for this, I take it that a PS4 pro patch is coming then? if so I will wait till that and then play it again.

Yeah, HZD is a great game but compared to Witcher 3, its no contest, Witcher 3 has so much more depth to it, story wise and the world around you.

I need to replay this, not ever played any of the DLC for this, I take it that a PS4 pro patch is coming then? if so I will wait till that and then play it again.

Though the Pro patch could be months and months away.

Definitely play the DLC, it's as good as the main game if not better

So couple of quick question for those that have completed the game.

Q1. Death March playthrough: New Game+ or just a new game?

Q2. If NG+ should I complete misc quests to level further, and if so how far?

I have completed base game and both DLCs and I am at L55. I still need to max out some of my Witcher gear and a few other misc or secondary quests to do.

If going down the NG+ route I'll definitely finish the Witcher gear scavenger hunts and upgrade the gear, but is there any value to levelling higher, what's the cap in NG+ and how far do the enemies scale up?

Death March isn't particularly difficult, I played it from the beginning mostly. One of the patches added an option to level scale under levelled enemies to your level, makes it more fun otherwise you be one shotting enemies when you're doing lower level quests.

If you want to unlock all the mutagens mutations thingies and skill slots available in blood and wine you'll need to reach the level cap because they need a ton of skill points to unlock. I've forgotten what the level cap is, I'd say 100 because there's level 90 odd gear in the game.

Death March is definitely requiring a slightly different approach to combat, not least because it feels like 2 or 3 hits and you're dead. On my first playthrough it was very much Aard and Igni plus mashing square; I am now probably using Quen more than anything else and taking a more measured approach to enemies, dodge and hit rather than hit, hit, hit taking the odd blow along the way.

It's probably more satisfying this way.

Death March is definitely requiring a slightly different approach to combat, not least because it feels like 2 or 3 hits and you're dead. On my first playthrough it was very much Aard and Igni plus mashing square; I am now probably using Quen more than anything else and taking a more measured approach to enemies, dodge and hit rather than hit, hit, hit taking the odd blow along the way.

It's probably more satisfying this way.

Alchemy is your best friend on Death March. Get a decent Alchemy build and you'll be unstoppable. There are builds that have you regenerating health every time you land a hit. I breezed through Death March this way!

I'm at work so unable to find any information at the moment but Google "Witcher 3 Alchemy build" and I'm sure you'll find something of interest.

Alchemy is your best friend on Death March. Get a decent Alchemy build and you'll be unstoppable. There are builds that have you regenerating health every time you land a hit. I breezed through Death March this way!

I'm at work so unable to find any information at the moment but Google "Witcher 3 Alchemy build" and I'm sure you'll find something of interest.

Yeah if you combine the right alchemy green skills with the right decoctions (and mutations if you're high level) then death March can't touch you. You've got so much health thanks to the green skills. One of the patches introduced a yellow skill that made your food items last 20 minutes, certain food items regen more health than others so I stocked up on them. Now I have passive health regen from decoctions and health regen from the food, I leave all the decoctions and food running all the time I'm playing so I'm not messing about swigging potions every time I enter battle.

One annoyance is you get ghoul face Geralt in all the cutscenes when you're running around with high toxicity.

That's what I'll do on my next playthrough when the Pro patch comes out. The current playthrough uses no alchemy in my build at all, all combat and signs but I'll definitely change that for the next one.

OK giving that a go. Have respecced filling up 10 of the 12 skill slots from the Green tree:
  • Heightened Tolerance
  • Poisoned Blades
  • Acquired Tolerance
  • Tissue Transformation
  • Synergy
  • Adaption
  • Endure Pain
  • Side Effects
  • Killing Spree
  • Efficiency
Entering combat I use the Archgriffin Decoction (strong attacks deplete your stamina in order to take 10% off the targeted enemy’s vitality) and the Ekhidna Decoction (stamina spending to regenerate health) plus Tawny Owl to regenerate stamina.

It seems pretty OP tbh. :smashin:

Right I've just jumped on the bandwagon. Everywhere I go I keep seeing people talking about this being one of the best games ever made - managed to pick up the Game of the Year edition for £17 so thought I may as well give it a go! Going to wait until I finish the new Uncharted in a few weeks and then I'll crack on with this until the new Mario comes along.

I'm not really a massive RPG fan - I've only really played Fallout 4, Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda BOTW and I feel they're more on the action side.

Any tips to get me started?

Right I've just jumped on the bandwagon. Everywhere I go I keep seeing people talking about this being one of the best games ever made - managed to pick up the Game of the Year edition for £17 so thought I may as well give it a go! Going to wait until I finish the new Uncharted in a few weeks and then I'll crack on with this until the new Mario comes along.

I'm not really a massive RPG fan - I've only really played Fallout 4, Horizon Zero Dawn and Zelda BOTW and I feel they're more on the action side.

Any tips to get me started?

My tip would be to just go in and play it, that's what I did. Took a good 15 hours before I kind of knew what I was doing :)

Just have fun and explore and it 's all up to you what kind of player you build up and whether you craft stuff or buy it or loot it - that's the great thing about the game.
I'm on Blood and Wine and realising that that single bit of DLC is probably as big as if not bigger than the whole of Horizon Zero Dawn! :eek:

All I'd say is don't judge it by the first area / couple hours. Its a little monotone and grey until you progress past the first big test. As @Lancia34 says, you'll find your groove after a few hours and the game soon opens up to the beautiful scenes you've probably read about..

Oh a good tip would be not to leave quests\side quests\treasure hunts so that they are way, way below your Level as you will miss out on getting experience (and generally just get 1 XP). If you do them when around your level (each quest etc... has a recommended level) then you'll get a good amount of XP.

I left a load and ended up rushing through them and they were way too easy and only got 1-10XP for each one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom