1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Wind in my SKY+ Willows!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by SimplyBritish, Jan 7, 2005.

1. SimplyBritish

SimplyBritish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deal SKY+ freaks (ummmm, that's a nice use of the word)

;)

Is anyone else having problems viewing SKY when it is windy

I know that being in a 3rd floor flat probably doesn't help....but my god, I can't view anything when the wind is kicking against the dish!

I thought that being digital....nothing, but nuclear fail out, can effect the SKY signal?

I mean, seeing "SIGNAL NOT BEING RECEIVED" on a blue background, or something like it...doesn't make for good viewing. When you record and then playback, that's a nightmare too!

I doubt there is...but is there anything I can do my end to help the signal? It really takes the p*ss when you pay your subscription and you can't watch a thing! I'm not blaming SKY, but this is the 21st Century now...and wind shouldn't hamper your SKY entertainment.

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

S B

2. sniffer

sniffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Ii cant help but I have had this occur on two occasions.
    Initially I thought it was something to do with the hard drive upgrade but both instances was when it was windy.
    On both occasions I had to turn the machine off, leave for a couple of mins & turn back on & it seemed to sort the problem out.
    I dont know if this is related but one occasion the box went into standby & wouldnt budge until it was reset.

3. SimplyBritish

SimplyBritish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The turning off and back on again after a few minutes won't work, as it doesn't make the wind stop ;)

I looked at the SIGNAL TEST option and when the wind blows it's hardest, the signal just vanishes and NO LOCK comes up.

Boo hoo!

4. sniffer

sniffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am able to control the elements.

Tell me where you live & i'll stop the wind for you. :D

No, maybe it wasnt a problem with the wind blowing but maybe it disrupted the feed & the reset worked. I dont know, but whatever the problem was a reset fixed it.

Sniffer

5. SimplyBritish

SimplyBritish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It's just like THE WIZARD OF OZ here at the moment! I'm sure I just saw a women on a broomstick just fly past my window.

:laugh:

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, I live in an isolated farmhouse in the middle of The Fens, and it doesn't get much windier than this ! I NEVER have problems with the wind blowing my dish to the extent where I lose signal. Get a decent installer to mount your dish so that the wind doesn't move it. It is possible.

7. calam

calam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem re receiving Sky when it is windy.I haven't received any Sky programmes for 5 days because of the recent windy weather (which may last for another week). The only position for the dish is on the roof of my bungalow.
    Can any one advised me wherever I should get Sky engineers to fix this or would independant Sat. dish installers be my best choice ?
    It is frustrating to pay subscription fees and not see any Sky tv.
    Thanks,
    Calam

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Get an independent aerial installer. They should be able to fit a bracing bracket of some sort.

9. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    When it is raining very badly i get the message but only in the last year and i have had sky for nearly 4 years. I think its my sky dish that is the problem. If i order sky+ will i get a new dish?

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You don't normally get a new dish, just a new LNB, but if you make the installer a cup of coffee and a bacon sandwich, who knows ?