The Wii U Appreciation Thread

I'm having a great time with it also. Mario Maker is the only game I need right now, switching from tv to game pad when the wife wants to watch something is great. Added bonus of the baby loving watching Mario on screen, she's mesmerised

IJust been messing about in the menu's and found out my son and I have spent 57 hours on this since xmas day !

I like how all the mii's on his title screen from around the world make comments about games they are playing etc. You can zoom in and see what people are up to.

Doesn't seem to happen the same for my mii for some reason? ( Am I too old?).

Ok so yes this topic may very well be frowned upon by some but I’ve brought my WiiU out of retirement recently after coming across some YouTube videos showing the Homebrew Channel on on the WiiU menu which got me a little intrigued.
I’ve had the Homebrew Channel on the Wii side of things for quite some time just for being able to use MAME, Snes & Megadrive emulators but having to use Wiimotes to use them was a pain.
The great thing now is that I’m now able to play my favourite arcade games from the likes of Wrestlefest, Pacland, Simpsons, Turtles etc on the actual Gamepad :clap:
Also great is being able to play Earthworm Jim, Aladdin, Sonic, Robocop vs Terminator which were some of my more favourite Megadrive games on the Gamepad too.
Anyone else done this?

Ok so yes this topic may very well be frowned upon by some but I’ve brought my WiiU out of retirement recently after coming across some YouTube videos showing the Homebrew Channel on on the WiiU menu which got me a little intrigued.
I’ve had the Homebrew Channel on the Wii side of things for quite some time just for being able to use MAME, Snes & Megadrive emulators but having to use Wiimotes to use them was a pain.
The great thing now is that I’m now able to play my favourite arcade games from the likes of Wrestlefest, Pacland, Simpsons, Turtles etc on the actual Gamepad :clap:
Also great is being able to play Earthworm Jim, Aladdin, Sonic, Robocop vs Terminator which were some of my more favourite Megadrive games on the Gamepad too.
Anyone else done this?

I haven't got a WII U but like to watch this thread. Just popped on to say that Robocop VS Terminator for the Megadrive is one of my favourite games of all time. I often give it a playthrough on my emulator.

I haven't got a WII U but like to watch this thread. Just popped on to say that Robocop VS Terminator for the Megadrive is one of my favourite games of all time. I often give it a playthrough on my emulator.
Yeah the Megadrive version was leaps and bounds better than the Snes version, everything about it was just brilliant.

Anyone else done this?

My little project for Xmas was to get this done to my Wii U, got the homebrew launcher sorted yesterday and got it playing Gamecube games suing a official GC controller. Now looking at getting the emulators for the classic systems and MAME.

I am loving the Gamecube compatibility, apart from the low res those games still looks pretty good.

Can anyone point me towards a few titles suitable for girls aged under 10 ?
Something that can be played s a group / family would be great

Looking for a handful of very cheap / bargain titles, even wii titles

Since the release of SNES being made available on Switch and the possibility of me not renewing my online sub it’s encouraged me to start using my WiiU again for my retro buzz.
Since the last time I used it I’ve noticed Retroarch has had a bit of an overhaul which instead of separate emulator apps it’s now one app that fits all.
Seeing there’s a Dreamcast core got me a little excited I must say.
I still kinda prefer the emulators on the Wii side of things for Snes, Megadrive etc as they’re a bit more fluid to use, Retroarch just seems a little slower with the loading of roms but it’s a bit of a toss up between something that’s more fluid but having to use a Wiimote/Classic Controller combo or the convenience of being able to use the Gamepad for control.

Last edited:
Whether you agree with this sort of thing or not, this is pretty awesome.
Pretty good for turning that unused old WiiU into a retro console.

I added it to mine yesterday
563262E6-638B-4450-9CD9-2F0FDC56D328.jpeg

B82C0419-5E7E-46E3-AE32-E38DB224C9E0.jpeg
9BA52B05-7C1C-4A3C-BC85-D580B680BACC.jpeg
44E0F42A-32EB-4023-9131-0541194E00A8.jpeg

have you got this to work?

the url does not work on my WiiU (Error 112-1035 Could not display page), site loads fine on the Mac.
maybe Ninty have patched it out not to load, on an update.
Why are you using the WiiU to open the URL?
You need to download and extract the files and put them on an SD card.

Download the file, extract then put on to a 128gb SD Card. Launch via Homebrew Channel.
You had already answered it , as you've expanded on it - the Homebrew channel , I download that, how?

Last edited:
@raigraphixs if you decide to do this and download the retro pack then let me know and I’ll give you a couple of pointers of getting the best from it.
I had a couple of issues with loading some arcade stuff at first but have learnt quite a bit recently and now it works amazingly with a couple of tweeks.

@raigraphixs if you decide to do this and download the retro pack then let me know and I’ll give you a couple of pointers of getting the best from it.
I had a couple of issues with loading some arcade stuff at first but have learnt quite a bit recently and now it works amazingly with a couple of tweeks.
i

its going to be a little while longer, it seems the SD card has gone walkies :( , it was smaller in size, 32 i think, than your recommendation.

great if you can link (amazon uk) me a replacement 128gb sd card ?

i

its going to be a little while longer, it seems the SD card has gone walkies :( , it was smaller in size, 32 i think, than your recommendation.

great if you can link (amazon uk) me a replacement 128gb sd card ?
You can use 32GB, just means leaving out some of the larger rom files.
I bought a 128GB SD Card from Tesco the other day for £32. Probably could’ve got it cheaper online but was impatient.
F79317B8-F847-4DAC-8990-2F7833EC2A58.jpeg

I would recommend downloading the file in advance though as it does take a little while.
If you’re gonna download from arcade punks then you’ll find it in other downloads then under everything else.

You can use 32GB, just means leaving out some of the larger rom files.
I bought a 128GB SD Card from Tesco the other day for £32. Probably could’ve got it cheaper online but was impatient.
View attachment 1298034
I would recommend downloading the file in advance though as it does take a little while.
If you’re gonna download from arcade punks then you’ll find it in other downloads then under everything else.

mate is there any type of sd card that will not work with wii u I need to be aware off before purchasing?

Oh my days my life is complete Lol
For years loving Moonwalker on Megadrive I’ve always wanted to play the Arcade version but have never found a working version available.
To my disappointment it also wasn’t working with in the retroarch pack I installed, it wasn’t easy when you’re not sure how but with a little bit of persistence I’ve got it working 👏👏
73B93DD5-6A88-4765-9450-80253EF538E0.jpeg

B52A5EF6-6C86-45EC-99D8-5688316881C4.jpeg

Ooh happy days, I’ve got GameCube games working and controllable on the Gamepad 👏
164C959D-77A7-4CD2-BD5B-03CB466AE06B.jpeg

42311677-296A-4988-8CEE-E61BF9DBFE64.jpeg

Last edited:
The Wii U renaissance continues in our house during lockdown. Wii mode has been fun for the children, we have really got into Wii Sports bowling! One of my boys scored 213 yesterday, not bad for a four-year-old Who has played about half a dozen times!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom