1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The wife caves in... SVS incoming!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AngelEyes, Aug 25, 2005.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,513
    I am so excited I just had to share it with you all! :thumbsup:

Due to the upcoming change in SVS and their UK distributor / dealerships I finally convince my beloved that ordering now would save us some cash and bless her she agreed! *cough* so I guess I still wear the trousers then :rotfl: (yeah right!)

Just finalising my order with Ron and hope to be seeing a lovely Oak PB12 Ultra sometime soon.

Thank you to all the people who have helped over the last year or so with all my subwoofer questions, no doubt I will be equally annoying when I try to set the thing up! :rolleyes:

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Fantastic bit of opportunism too in persuading the wife as to the reason why, but then who cares what the reason is - it has worked and that's all there is to it!

You will I am sure be as delighted with your purchase as everyone else who has has one is. Speaking personally (I have a PB12+/2), the novelty hasn't worn off, and I can't see it ever wearing off, ,and I've had mine for 18 months :thumbsup:

Get a crane ready for when it arrives :devil:

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats AngelEyes :thumbsup: some serious bass head you're way...

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,340
    Well Done Angel Eyes congratulations and you will not regrett it one bit.What sort of delivery time did Ron quote?.

You will be counting down those days waiting for your first real bass encounter of the first kind!!!!!!!!!!

5. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Congratulations! An Oak PB12-Ultra, of all things.. :thumbsup:

6. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Congratulations :)

I meant to write to you regarding how long mine took to turn up; I finally got it last Wednesday.

It took 4 weeks from the time I ordered to the time it was shipped, as SVS had delivery problems with the wood cabinets. They were excellent at keeping me informed.

When it shipped, it took 8 days door to door. Most of that time was at this end :mad:

It left SVS on a Tuesday. It touched down at Heathrow at 6am on Thursday morning. It did not leave Heathrow until Monday for reasons I cannot imagine, as customs clearance took place at East Midlands.

On Monday afternoon, it arrived at East Midlands airport. It did not clear customs until after the van had left on Tuesday, so it got delivered on Wednesday.

Bax Global at East Midlands needed to be chased every step of the way. I get the impression that I still wouldn't have it now if I hadn't been persistant. If yours is deliverable to you direct from Heathrow, it may well save you a day or two.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that the Bax driver turns up alone with a lorry that does not have a tail lift. Therefore, if there is no-one at your house capable of helping him off the lorry with a 70Kg box, he will go away again with your sub. I find it incredible that a courier company chooses to accept goods for delivery and then expect a customer to be capable of helping them unload. Am I being unreasonable here?

Anyway, after the doom and gloom, I must say that it's a superb product. I needed to get a BFD for my room (I urge you to calibrate with the test tones from Snapbug's site (see Nimby's sticky on using an SPL meter)). Once the BFD was in place, it really started to show what it could do.

Had a decent music session earlier. Even though I'm just using the LFE cable, it is stunning.

Yes, yes. I know that I should have the high level cables for music. But when you have a room spike at 50Hz that needs a 22dB cut to calm it down then all notions of purity go out the window in favour of what actually works. Which is as much electronics as you can shake a stick at.

And this thing will shake the stick for you :thumbsup:

Gary

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not if you spend enough time setting your equipment up right. High level cables are very useful in a stereo amp application if it doesn't have speaker preouts you can use but otherwise I really don't think it's that important. Better to spend the setup time getting the low-level right than fussing with high-level as well. :)

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I wonder whether SVS's decision to appoint distributors had something to do with Bax occasional weakness on the last leg of the long journey to Europe? And the willingness of European customers to have a good moan online about their experiences. :devil:

My cylinder transferred to a national parcel carrier by Bax Denmark and I was charged a tenner for the privelege. But the carrier did at least have a tail-lift. Even if he did park at the far end of our 100 yard drive. I haven't run so fast in years! :D

Nimby

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,513
    Gary,

Can you tell me what the total cost was, all these extra charges are hard to track?

Thx

10. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The thing that was really strange for me was that the sub seemed really ponderous for music until the BFD was in play.

There is always talk on here about subs being 'fast' or 'musical'. Pardon the terminolgy :blush:

But the result of adding an extra layer of electronics in the signal path has been to improve the timing no end. If I play certain tracks that have a strong 50Hz element to the bassline, switching to 'direct' mode (i.e. getting rid of the BFD treated sub and using my 40Hz capable floorstanders) results in a wall of ponderous mud that just cannot seem to keep up with the rest of the instruments. You just can't get the living rooms these days....

It has persuaded me that, when I update my amp, I will be going for one with the 6 band auto EQ (such as the Pioneer range). Whilst I have always been of the opinion that less is more in a signal chain, my ears have been opened to the fact that, given the wrong room, pure definately isn't the best option and that a shedload of electronics is the best policy.

Probably be in trouble for that comment :oops:

Gary

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not from me, I had exactly the same experience in going from overblown bass to more tuneful bass across the range. I'd recommend the live John Peel version of Doesn't Make It Alright by Stiff Little Fingers for testing bass out like this. If you like that kind of music of course.

It's really a matter of balancing the good and the bad - a technically bad move like using EQ can easily overcome the more significant problems of room interaction if used properly. :)

12. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sure thing.

My dollar spend with SVS was around $1,650. The sub was $1299 and shipping was included in this at $235 door to door. The extra cost was the fact that I ordered a very long cable with it and an SPL meter.

I worked out that this should have been charged as about £925 on the day I ordered with an exchange rate of $1.79. My credit card charged me a 2.75% 'currency conversion fee' :mad: so I actually paid around £955.

When it finally clears customs, Bax will ask you for more cash. In my case, it was £206. So that's a little over 21% added at this end. Please note that they charge you extra if you pay this by credit card. Switch / Maestro did not incur the charge.

With all that in mind, I recon your bottom line will be £1050 - £1075 if you bought no extras.

SVS quoted me about $100 less for airport collection, but Bax put the frighteners on me and suggested that there would be all kinds of brokers fees etc within that $100 and that I wouldn't make any significant saving by not going for door to door. Whether or not that was true I couldn't say.

Hope this helps.

Gary

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,513
    Thx Gary,

I guessed it would be around £1000... unfortunately the wife is under the impression it will cost around £800... oops! :rolleyes:

Too late now I ordered it :)

14. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Gary_W, I own the Pioneer flagship for 2 1/2 years now, and find it difficult to find a replacement for it. The Pioneer amp has a very decent performance for multi-channel analog, and being able to switch to the 9-band equalised sound gives me a whole extra dimension that few others are able to get.

A good deal on the Arcam AVR300 (or AVP700/P1000 combo) might be worth a look also, budget allowing.

15. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ettepet - many thanks for this. Much as I would like a new amp, I don't see it happening until next year.

I only tested my room response <160Hz, and it wasn't good. I am not naive enough to believe that it suddenly becomes perfect above this frequency so the Pioneers do look good for that reason. Also, I've always liked Arcam; I had an old Alpha 3 stereo amp years ago and thought it was a good product. I didn't realise that they did the multiband EQ, so I'll certainly consider them when the time comes.

As next year sees HD-DVD and Sky HD, I forsee a potentially expensive year as far as home entertainment goes. Especially as we are still on a CRT TV.

16. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,513
    My new sub probably cost more than the rest of my kit put together Muahahahaha :D

I think I will have to start upgrading!

17. vonstahlhein

vonstahlhein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On cost, the importers will levy Duty and VAT on the goods arriving in the UK. The Duty rate payable on the speaker when arriving in the UK is currently 4.5% - based on the cost of the speaker (inc delivery charges), then VAT at 17.5% is charged on top of this :mad: Quickly adds up!

18. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,513
    No kidding, £205 to be paid on delivery! :eek:

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    All AV equipment will have Vat payable on it plus import duties if applicable, it's just that when buying from a UK retailer it is all tucked away within the ticket price.

20. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    It might be your head caving in when she see's how big it looks in the flesh!:devil:

Enjoy your new sub!:smashin: