1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Who SACD

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Oasis-GasPanic, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just read the review on digitalbits.com about "The Who: My Generation" SACD and want it really badly, so can anyone tell me where to get it from (I've tried the usual-Play, Amazon.com & vivante).

Once I've got this I suppose I'll have to force myself to go and buy an SACD player;) :D

Regards,

2. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Dublin and am therefore forced to source SACD from abroad and as a result I have some good news ... I received a copy of the Who My Generation album (there are many additional tracks) from the US ... www.redtrumpet.com. They are excellent to deal with. The album itself is excellent.

This does not appear to by a hybrid so you will need an SACD player and my advice is to get a dedicated unit rather than a combined DVD/SACD player.

3. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The Who SACD is indeed single-layer and only compatiable with SACD capable players. Universal has been flooding the market with mostly single-layer releases the last few months. I would call the disc very average sounding for the format, which means it sounds better than the CD's. Single-layer discs are a dis-service to the format, me thinks.:nono:

Don't let me talk you out of buying it if it's a close to your heart and you're gonna get a player. It could be released as a hybrid in Europe or Asia...? If you like The Who, do you like the Zombies? Their Greatest Hit's SACD has stunning sound quality given it's age. It's a hybrid, stereo disc on the Audio Fidelity label and goes for $14.99 or less. Audio Fidelity is an up and coming SACD label lately for stereo re-releases. They have enginering MVP Steve Hoffman too! Best wishes!:)

4. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both albums and I will need to undertake a more extended audition of both before I could support or disagree with your opinion that the Zombies SACD is superior (soundwise) to the Who SACD but I certainly do support your opinion relating to single versus dual layer releases.

5. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The more I listen to the Zombies disc the more I like it. I wish it had more material off 68's ODDESEY AND ORACLE besides the two versions of TIME OF THE SEASON. That's a rights issue... It's my impression that the Zombies must have been very well recorded by 63-64 standards and that their original tapes must be in above average condition.

To me my ears The Who sounds fine given the original recording's seemingly mediocre quality. I think the SACD compares well to the mono LP I've had for...like...forever.

I have several of the Audo Fidelity releases. In the past month I got John Lee Hooker's BOOGIE CHILLIN'and Richie Valens' Greatest Hits. Audio Fidelity has just announced an all newly recorded album by Bob James calld IN HI-FI, BROKEN HEARTED BLUES by Lightin' Hopkins, and a tribute to Peter Green album chocked full of greats like Ian Anderson & Dave Peverett. I'm a'likin' this label! :smoke: Best wishes!