The Wheel of Time (Amazon) Season 1 Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Thanks Tom, good review!
For me, the first episode was a load of trollox, but hoping it will improve...

Was on my radar but not in the spotlight but will give it a gander . Does feel like this is an Amazon starter of sorts in the genre for the main course that is the GoT prequel .

Disclaimer - I’m on some STRONG painkillers after surgery yesterday, but they don’t seem to be touching the sides so I’m grumpy, miserable and can’t get comfortable - but being wide awake I thought I’d give this a go.

Couldn’t even make it through the first episode. Cliched characters, trying to cram too much in which makes it a tad overwhelming, and frankly just a bit dull.

I’ll come back to it at a later date if opinions suggest it gets better

And I can’t see how this got the same score as Foundation - the first two episodes of that were so much better (and the series got better still)

Thanks Tom. Will give this a go. Not terribly hopeful, but worth a look at least.

And I can’t see how this got the same score as Foundation - the first two episodes of that were so much better (and the series got better still)
This ^^^

The easy answer is that the two shows have different strengths and different weaknesses in their opening episodes.

As the first season comes to a close, the Foundation review is now due an update but likely only to be bumped up by one point following a couple of stand-out episodes and some satisfaction in the pay off. What hasn't changed is it being a victim of interminable padding, borderline incompetent editing and style over substance. Pretty but very strained in its construction.

WoT is well-worn and trite in some of its elements but things happen in it. It's structured and paced to within an inch of its life, putting plot before almost everything else. Not hugely original, but with extremely solid construction.

Neither have many characters that are particularly worth rooting for but make up for it in other areas.

It's always appreciated when the commentariat are able to discuss the substance of reviews and not just a number without context.

The easy answer is that the two shows have different strengths and different weaknesses in their opening episodes.

As the first season comes to a close, the Foundation review is now due an update but likely only to be bumped up by one point following a couple of stand-out episodes and some satisfaction in the pay off. What hasn't changed is it being a victim of interminable padding, borderline incompetent editing and style over substance. Pretty but very strained in its construction.

WoT is well-worn and trite in some of its elements but things happen in it. It's structured and paced to within an inch of its life, putting plot before almost everything else. Not hugely original, but with extremely solid construction.

Neither have many characters that are particularly worth rooting for but make up for it in other areas.

It's always appreciated when the commentariat are able to discuss the substance of reviews and not just a number without context.
Thanks Tom. Appreciate the reviews. Do you think that Foundation has to be deliberately slow burning by its nature? I did feel the slow burn, but the finale left me feeling it’s well setup for the next season.

Feel free to tell me to wait for your write up, I’m just really curious to read your thoughts after those initial couple of episodes.

Apple TV +’s Invasion series seems to have slowly built to a point too…. perhaps not enough to have anyone raving about the shows, but enough to want you seeing an inevitably faster paced season 2?

Last edited:
Update incoming in the next couple of days once I've put my thoughts on it in order. Also so as not to clog up this thread.

As a huge fan of the books (I started reading them in the early 90s so it took a loooong time) I am quite enjoying it, certainly keen to see more.

Was on my radar but not in the spotlight but will give it a gander . Does feel like this is an Amazon starter of sorts in the genre for the main course that is the GoT prequel .
The big Amazon fantasy series everyone is waiting for is The Lord Of The Rings prequel. Amazon have spent a ton of money and resources making it.

The other big upcoming fantasy series is by HBO. House Of The Dragon, a Game Of Thrones prequel. Will be interesting to see if either live up to the hype when both release in 2022 next year.

Honestly, the comparisons and mentions of Game of Thrones in respect of wheel of time really should stop. They are completely different fantasy stories. TBH GOT was pretty much anti-fantasy.

The first book is quite slow and it took me a while to get into the characters and for them to find their way in this story. It looks like it will be same here.

So far, I would say most of the cast is nailing their character and it will probably only get better.

Reading fantasy is not about reading 3 chapters and deciding whether to continue, its about reading the overview and then decidjng to go on the whole journey.

Honestly, the comparisons and mentions of Game of Thrones in respect of wheel of time really should stop. They are completely different fantasy stories. TBH GOT was pretty much anti-fantasy.
Different subgenres, sure. GoT being "anti-fantasy" I very sincerely disagree with. It's just grimdark historical as opposed to pulp or high fantasy.

Most of the comparisons in reviews (I'm assuming from a personal perspective) come from the fact that Jeffrey Bezos himself very openly stated he wanted his own Game of Thrones and promptly ushered a whole bunch of fantasy TV shows through commissioning without really understanding how GoT got its mainstream appeal or how it differed from most other fantasy series.

Thanks Tom, but I'm gonna let this one slide. Haven't felt it at any point, and your review has really confirmed that I'd just be treading water with it i.e. watching it just for watching it's sake because it's there.

May revisit though if you positively update after the season is done.

I was quite impressed with what Amazon have done with WoT - I thought the pilot was the best of the three. I have read all 14 books and they are huge - so trying to remember the first is a bit of a struggle. But I would be a little more generous with a 7/10 and will definitely keep watching all 8 episodes - george

GOT is "anti-fantasy" in the sense that George RR Martin set out to break the usual fantasy tropes...

killing off the hero good guy when the story really got started, no real use of magic, the true king not wanting the throne, etc.[\Spoiler]

All quite deliberate by Martin.

Don't get me wrong, I loved GOT and the books but regardless of what Bezos may have said, the comparisons do neither any good.

I'm halfway through the first book and I'm really enjoying it. It took me several tries to get into it. Just watched the first episode and I'm on the second just now. It feels like it's trying too hard to be GOT which is not the vibe I'm getting from the book at all. Bit worried they will do the same with the LOTR series too.

I was quite impressed with what Amazon have done with WoT - I thought the pilot was the best of the three. I have read all 14 books and they are huge - so trying to remember the first is a bit of a struggle. But I would be a little more generous with a 7/10 and will definitely keep watching all 8 episodes - george

I’ve not read the books but I was also impressed. Definitely a step up from Netflix’s Shadow and Bone which bordered on young adult fiction.

Couldn’t even finish the first episode - felt like they were aiming for GoT … but without any compelling actors, plot or budget!

Annoyed that I get no sound as it is broadcast in Dolby Atmos which my receiver does not support.

Rosamund Pike is definitely acting them all under the table. Her voice is amazing.

Couldn’t even finish the first episode - felt like they were aiming for GoT … but without any compelling actors, plot or budget!

To be fair, just about every western fantasy show will be influenced by GoT as it set the bar for fantasy series. But as Tom says in his review, this appears to be an action oriented show and I think that will keep a lot of people happy.

I’ve not read the books but I was also impressed. Definitely a step up from Netflix’s Shadow and Bone which bordered on young adult fiction.
Well that's probably because it IS young adult fiction ;)

I'm a HUGE fan of the WoT books. Have them all in hardback.

So I'm really hoping the series improves. I've read good things about the second half. Need it to be popular enough that it gets more seasons. There's tons of interesting character development and really great and interesting plot developments just around the corner. The show has an enormous amount of potential.

But if they can't pull it off then it'll be just another wasted opportunity.

To be fair, just about every western fantasy show will be influenced by GoT as it set the bar for fantasy series.
Have you forgotten about Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom