The what's turned, and is turning 4K DV/HDR/Dolby Atmos on Apple TV thread.

I don’t care about the £3, it’s the principle. They were quick enough to Jack the price up whilst saying we’ve got to pay for higher quality, which I don’t have a problem, but if it’s not higher quality, why should anyone be paying extra?

Like I said earlier, if I don’t notice the difference, I’ll continue, if I do I’ll drop down to the lower tier for the duration until things return to normal. If they do. Who’s to say they won’t continue with the reduced quality permanently?

The 'announcement' from a Netflix person came so soon after the EU person told us what we should be watching that I doubt if Netflix were ready - global changes normally take weeks of testing. I dont know if the bit-rate for a given show changes dynamically or if they just have a set of files at different standards and bit-rates on the server and the app switches according to your package and line.

Either way their engineers are likely quite busy today implementing what one of their bosses promised.

I froze Netflix when the UHD went to £12 and assumed I would go back when to catch up on new series - but reviews for things like Altered Carbon S2 havent been great so Ive managed with NowTV boost until D+ next week.

I don’t care about the £3, it’s the principle. They were quick enough to Jack the price up whilst saying we’ve got to pay for higher quality, which I don’t have a problem, but if it’s not higher quality, why should anyone be paying extra?

Like I said earlier, if I don’t notice the difference, I’ll continue, if I do I’ll drop down to the lower tier for the duration until things return to normal. If they do. Who’s to say they won’t continue with the reduced quality permanently?

I totally agree. Little things like can end up being permanent as companies take advantage hoping that people will forget once circumstances return to normal. I remember when I was a teenager back in the 1970's and could just about afford a bag of chips with my pocket money. Imagine my disappointment when the price almost doubled due to the potato famine and I could no longer afford them. Did the price return to normal once the famine ended?.....of course not. I am still not over it now nearly 50 years later! :(

OT So feel free to ignore :)

Well £3 on Netflix could well be the last of my worries :rotfl:

Started coughing on the way to work this morning, not continuous, but certainly new. Then it went off and came back an hour or so later and had carried on since then. Not terrible, just there off and on.

Also feel like I’ve got a temperature, aching back and legs. Chances are it’s a cold, but now me and the mrs are on self-isolation for the next two weeks.

Due to start working from home on Monday anyway. So will most likely muddle through with that unless I feel significantly worse by then.

So if I stop posting, in either too Ill, dead or actually watching my iTunes library too I’ll to lift my phone:rotfl:

OT So feel free to ignore :)

Well £3 on Netflix could well be the last of my worries :rotfl:

Started coughing on the way to work this morning, not continuous, but certainly new. Then it went off and came back an hour or so later and had carried on since then. Not terrible, just there off and on.

Also feel like I’ve got a temperature, aching back and legs. Chances are it’s a cold, but now me and the mrs are on self-isolation for the next two weeks.

Due to start working from home on Monday anyway. So will most likely muddle through with that unless I feel significantly worse by then.

So if I stop posting, in either too Ill, dead or actually watching my iTunes library too I’ll to lift my phone:rotfl:
Well can’t you just read a book or two so there’s enough bandwidth for the rest of us :smashin:

That’s interesting, there’s now a 4K icon next to my Google Play Star Wars: The Last Jedi that was an iTunes redeem. There’s also a HD icon too so don’t exactly know what it is as have nothing to play it on to find out.
20710EAD-4CFC-47BC-9C70-4A529B951BFB.png

Edit: It’s got to be a glitch with the app as there’s a 4K icon next to every title in my library.

Last edited:
That’s interesting, there’s now a 4K icon next to my Google Play Star Wars: The Last Jedi that was an iTunes redeem. There’s also a HD icon too so don’t exactly know what it is as have nothing to play it on to find out.View attachment 1273463
If I go onto my app all of my films seem to have a 4K logo on them... bit strange.

Yeah just edited my post to say the same.
I was kinda hoping with the launch of Disney+ our owned Disney titles may have had an upgrade. An incentive for people to still buy digital movies instead of just using their streaming service but I guess that’s all they want now.

I was kinda hoping with the launch of Disney+ our owned Disney titles may have had an upgrade. An incentive for people to still buy digital movies instead of just using their streaming service but I guess that’s all they want now.
Well I know one thing, I won’t be buying any more Disney or 20th Century movies if they’re going to be on Disney+ that’s for sure.

Not sure what’s going on with Studio Canal, have they abandoned 4K iTunes releases ? they released The Deer Hunter and various John Carpenter films both on 4K UHD and 4K iTunes

Universal Soldier & Angel Heart were released on 4K UHD last October, but disappeared from iTunes pre-orders, never to return.

The Elephant Man which was available to buy in HD was pulled from the UK iTunes a couple of weeks ago. The 4K UHD is released on 6th April but no iTunes pre-order.

Not sure what’s going on with Studio Canal, have they abandoned 4K iTunes releases ? they released The Deer Hunter and various John Carpenter films both on 4K UHD and 4K iTunes

Universal Soldier & Angel Heart were released on 4K UHD last October, but disappeared from iTunes pre-orders, never to return.

The Elephant Man which was available to buy in HD was pulled from the UK iTunes a couple of weeks ago. The 4K UHD is released on 6th April but no iTunes pre-order.

with the elephant man it sounds like they’re pulling the same ‘it’s a new releasek trick they did with deer hunter. Will probably sell on iTunes for £10 with no free upgrade

with the elephant man it sounds like they’re pulling the same ‘it’s a new releasek trick they did with deer hunter. Will probably sell on iTunes for £10 with no free upgrade
Kind of decided that I’m not gonna buy anything in HD now through fear of being screwed out of the “free” 4K upgrade in one way or another. I’ll just wait until a movie is 4K then buy it once it’s reduced in price.

The only exception to that is Schwarzenegger and Stallone movies 😉

Ive had my Tom Collection slowly building for a while, be a pretty bonus if/when they all go 4K. always the cheapest way to get 4k films for sure :smashin:

Yeah it’s very grainy but I think it was deliberately so. Great movie though. Shot in a really short time too.

Top Gun is probably one of my most watched movies. Cant wait for that to get the 4K treatment

War of the Worlds is definitely "as intended" as regards the grainy appearance. I love the film but am not a big fan of grain either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom