The what's turned, and is turning 4K DV/HDR/Dolby Atmos on Apple TV thread.

Everything be sd within the week ;)
And so it begins
F1DF8195-16BA-491F-B46E-AAC07146D697.jpeg

This will be the cue for other providers to follow suit. Before we know it electricity companies will be issuing statements like "because of increased use during self isolation NPower agree to power cuts to ease the strain on the national grid".

I accept that we are facing an incredibly difficult situation, but there is a danger that all this panic reaction (not so much about Netflix to be fair) will cause more problems than the Coronavirus.

What a joke. They should be lowering the price especially for this of us that pay for 4k service.
Love the UK spirit, there’s nothing quite like coming together in the time of crisis :rolleyes:
It could be worse I suppose, they could give everyone maximum quality and we all suffer because the networks can’t cope with the bandwidth overload but hey ho.

Don’t have a problem with them lowering quality to ease the network strain, but don’t take the piss and charge me extra for 4K and give me 1080p.

If they temporarily want to drop the 4K extra charge and limit the quality, that’s fine. I bet they won’t.

I know, how about 1 million of us give up our subscriptions to Netflix to help with the congestion, yeah not such a great deal there is it :rolleyes: grrrrrrrr

My broadband speeds have dropped from around 37mb to 5mb in the last week. I might actually end up with a better picture after Netflix make the change.
Wow. Not noticed a difference in mine yet. That’s a big drop.

If the ISPs start to get get worried about service for all I guess we will see some throttling or prioritisation of certain traffic. Very easy for them to do I’m sure.

They’ve got to do what they’ve got to do. So long as they reduce their prices accordingly.

Next week all the kids (and parents) will be at home and I bet this will increase torrenting and downloading huge files. This won’t help

I'm having line probs but streams already adapt down to your line speed and only magic beans can help a 5Mb/s line. They're just making news - sorry they're just reducing the peak or maybe average bit-rate to reduce their power and network usage - sorry to save the internet. Which is why we need 3 or 4 threads about this topic to do our bit.

They’ve got to do what they’ve got to do. So long as they reduce their prices accordingly.
My god It’s for 30 days, you waste more than a Netflix sub on iTunes movies you’ve already bought before and forgotten about.

Not sure they will do it TBH. Especially if they have been told to action it.

People can always reduce their package temporarily if they don’t think UHD is worth it while the restrictions are in place.

Now if everything went SD and they limited the amount of streams and devices per household that would be different.

Edit: as @-gonzo- said. Most of those worried about a 25% drop box in quality of a UHD stream probably spend twenty time’s that a month on UHD discs, Disney plus, iTunes, Hulu, VUDu, prime, HBO to name a few. Myself being very much in that camp.

Last edited:
My god It’s for 30 days, you waste more than a Netflix sub on iTunes movies you’ve already bought before and forgotten about.

It’s the principal. They were quick enough to charge extra for a 4K stream.

How about if Disney+ delayed their UK launch for 30 days, to reduce bandwidth? It’s only 30 days after all.

How about if Disney+ delayed their UK launch for 30 days, to reduce bandwidth? It’s only 30 days after all.
That’s OK. I think it’s a good idea. I’ll carry on accessing the US one 🤗

I think probably it will be longer than 30 days but still they are not taking 4K away. Only reducing the stream a little. Depending on the TV and it’s size of course but most won’t see much difference.

Yes, I’m sure it’ll be longer than 30 days too. I’ll wait and see how noticeable it is and then decide whether to drop down from 4K.

The movie companies who are offering rentals for new releases won’t be happy if no one wants to rent them because they can only get crappy quality streams. :rotfl:

Makes no odds to me, already seen the Mandalorian and in worse quality than what Netflix will be 😂

Personally I can see it one of two ways:
1) Be thankful that Netflix are trying to come up with a temporary solution which will help benefit all to carry on streaming what you want to stream while broadband usage in homes is going to increase dramatically, especially if the whole county goes into lockdown.
2) Or the other potential scenario could be they do nothing which then transfers all the complaints to the broadband networks who may not cope with the demand, you may still get a drop in quality which is all fine and dandy as it’s not Netflix’s fault as they’re restricting nothing so you’ll still be paying them full whack for a service you’re not getting the best from but you’ll also be paying your Broadband provider whatever you’re currently paying now as we pay for upto top speeds and not guaranteed speeds. The only guaranteed speed is the minimum speed you could get.

On my BT plan they guarantee me a minimum of 100mb, so it’ll be interesting to see if that actually happens.

I wouldn’t have any problem at all if Netflix wanted to reduce everyone to SD for 30 days, if it award reflected in the price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom