1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Wedding Crashers

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by robyoung, Jul 15, 2005.

1. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Saw this last night. :)

Here’s my amateur review (may contain spoilers but nothing that wasn’t in the trailer)

Firstly a bit of background

I’m really not a fan of ‘Rom-Coms’ I find 95% of them predictable, unfunny, overly schmaltzy and quite frankly boring, however there are the odd few exceptions such the delightful When Harry Met Sally the nice and dark Grosse Point Blank, but these are few and far between.

However having enjoyed previous ‘frat-pack’ collaborations such as Zoolander, Starsky & Hutch, Old School and Dodgeball, I had high hopes for the latest film to come out of the Vaughn/Stiller/ Wilson/Ferrell production line despite it being classed as a ‘Rom-Com’.

The Film

It starts off promising with a montage of the pair (Owen & Wilson) crashing weddings, inventing new scenarios to play at the wedding and of course bedding lots of hot women (with gratuitous nudity included :wink: )

After the ‘wedding season’ is over they decide to crash the ‘Ultimate Wedding’, that of the Secretary of Treasury played by Christopher Walken who is in ‘auto-pilot’ throughout the film. To cut a long story short, Vaughan is pursued by one of the secretary’s daughters, who is kind of crazy and possessive, while Wilson falls for his other ‘already taken’ daughter. Cue a few laughs and lots of cringe worthy scenes.

The rest of the movie really follows Wilson’s attempts to get the Secretary’s daughter to fall in love with him, with Vaughans relationship as a sideshow to break up the luvvy-duvvy moments with a few laughs until the inevitable finale.

Opinion

Both Vaughan and Wilson are excellent and portray their characters as likeable yet believable con-men. Vaughan in particular delivers his lines perfectly with the right amount of seriousness thrown in, one noteworthy scene at the dinner table will have you in stitches. While the laid back Wilson is the perfect foil for Vaughan, effortlessly charming to the ladies without being too cheesy.

Nevertheless the whole film felt a bit too lame, when compared with their previous films mentioned above it felt like the writers were trying to be more reserved and appeal to masses. The whole ending was predictable, OK we all knew how Dodgeball and Old School were going to end too, but they did it with much more imagination and laughs than TWC does. Also, Will Ferrell’s character seemed like it was tacked on the end because they realised the film wasn’t quite funny enough.

Conclusion

While TWC has some novel ideas and some genuine laughs, I feel it could have been much better, in the end it is an enjoyable, slightly above average rom-com mainly due to the two leads performances. Something nice to take your date too, but if your single just go and see War of the Worlds again! :wink:

Score: 6.5/10

2. inam

inam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i heard its a really stupid movie and that its not really funny as they have made it seem...

3. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    just seen this evening and i would say this is awesome :thumbsup: some of the jokes and dialogue are side splittingly funny :D
    If you dont find this funny,you must be dead :lesson: :rotfl:
    vince vaughn,wilson and ferrell are superb
    8/10

4. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess I must be dead. Vince Vaughn I can handle, but Wilson and Ferrell? Wilson is just another run-of-the-mill, nothing special actor, there's thousands more like him working as waiters in Hollywood. He just got lucky. As for Ferrell - living proof of the Jerry Seinfeld phenomenon... the tendency of America to take bog-average talents and elevate them to legendary status. Stiller's another one that irritates the hell out of me - I can't see what his appeal is for the life of me.