1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The weakest (component) link

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by maxiboy, Dec 3, 2004.

1. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got an Epson TW10H projector connected to an old samsung dvd player by a RGB scart adaptor (into the projector). I am soon going to get a progressive scan player (something like a pioneer 575) and will obviously need to invest in some component cable.

I have read quite a few threads on this forum explaining the importance of high quality cable, but would it be justified to spend £90 on 5m of Mark Grant's finest with the above setup?

To be honest, by the time I upgrade again, it would be unlikely that component connections will be useful so I am not trying to invest in something for the next 20 years....

I would really appreciate the advice from anybody who has had a similar experience.

Thanks

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    At least you'll know your getting value for money with Marks cables. I'd rather spend my £90 with him than spend £60 with a chain store and buy some real rubbish.
    And it's certainly not going to do the system any harm especially as your upgrading the DVD player.

3. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel that you have a good point, I guess that I am just checking whether this would be overkill.

DVD player = £120
    Projector = £550
    Cable = £90?

I know that by doing this you would not be wondering "what would happen if I got a more expensive cable?" but on the other hand the budget nature of the system makes me wonder.

I guess there is not a budget alternative that would do the job.

Thanks for your thoughts

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I am waiting for a component cable from www.bluejeanscable.com. They use the same cable as Mark and are cheaper. A 20 foot 1710A cable is £42 plus the postage. There could be a customs charge though. If that happened, it would be around £55 in total.

I am hoping my cable will come soon and with no charge as it is only 4 foot and cost £21. My player only cost me £100 but I was thinking of the future.

5. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I think I probably will get some of Mark's cable, it just seems a very expensive way of connecting a budget player to a budget projector. If it is worthwhile then this is ok.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I ordered a 4 foot component cable (waiting for it) from www.bluejeanscable.com. It works out quite a bit cheaper. You do have to wait for it to come from the U.S. though. I am hoping it will come early next week.

I wouldn't have been able to order one from Mark and see what the fuss of these cables otherwise. I am using a Sony NS585 and AE100 projector. I am thinking it will be all the cable I will need and can use it on my next/if I upgrade.

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I recently upgraded from the cheap cables which came with my DVD player to Mark Grants cables. It made a huge difference to the picture quality. Very good value for money IMO.

8. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you again for all of your advice. Although I am tempted to order through bluejeans, I just know with my luck I will be stung for duty so I am going to take the most trouble free route.

I will let you know how I get on.

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I was hoping my cable from BJC would come today but it hasn't. It means that it has been nine days now and that is long for airmail. Even if customs has it, it would be at least £15 cheaper than Marks.

I wouldn't surprise if you went with Mark though. He includes postage in the price and they will come quickly. It's a lot less hassle.

10. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My feelings exactly, I don't like hassle. Mark appears to sell good cable, I can afford it, problem solved.

11. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I don't like hassle either however, I need to save as much money as possible (and the cable is the same). I was going to get a Thor cable of Ebay but, I didn't want to find it was rubbish and get the BJC cable anyway.

12. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess this thread has kind of gone full circle.....