The Water Margin

MickTheMac

Standard Member
Reaction score
It may not be everyone's idea of a tempting bargain but I've been looking out for a reduced price on The Water Margin 6-cd box sets for quite a while.
Being somewhat at a loose end first day back at work this morning, by accident I stumbled upon Bensons World selling both series at £31.99. My day isn't wasted after all.:clap:

Wow.....!!!

Am v glad you spotted this - have been umming and ahhing for a few months whether to buy from Play or not (£54 per series) and nearly did it yesterday but a meeting got in the way.

However, have never used Benson's - how reliable are they, and how good is their packaging? One of my worries about Play is them sending a 6-disc box set in a jiffy bag, and the postie either trying to shove it through the letter box, or leaving it on the doorstep.

Thanks
Mark

Well a quick search of the forums didn't throw up any reason not to try them. If you'd prefer to wait, I can let you know how my order comes through.

I've used them a couple of times (last order was last night) and found them reliable and quick.

I tend to use them for Artificial Eye releases, as they're usually a couple of quid cheaper than Play, etc.

I've used Bensons a couple of times in the past, too. My experience is that they are reliable, but I have not ordered any boxsets...so I wouldn't know how they would pack such an item.

By the way, it sounds a very good deal for such an excellent, and sadly under-rated, tv series. I bought both boxsets when they were released earlier this year, and I wasn't disappointed.

As soon as I put he first disc in, and heard that unmistakeable theme tune, I was magically transported back to my youth. Hell, I know it's corny (it was even corny way back then), but it's one of my all time favourite tv series.

Enjoy your bargain!

:zonked:

Arrived fine and undamaged first thing this morning - seems pretty efficient to me. Packaged in rather thin corrugated cardboard much like single dvds and books I've received from other companies. It would have fitted through the letter box if I didn't have a fridge in the porch!
Now to see if I enjoy the first episode enough to justify buying the second series!

MickTheMac,
What is the picture and sound quality like?

Cheers

:smashin:

This was about £70 when it was first released! Glad I didn't buy it then.. But the question is, if I buy it now, will I ever watch it?!?!?!?!

AV Geezer
Well, if I had applied my usual standards for picture quality this series would never have got bought. It looks a bit like someone taped the original series at home and then wrote their own DVD. However, for me this is part of the cheesy charm and, as Ascomdog pointed out, watching this again just like I remember it does transport me back to my schooldays.

As for whether you'll ever watch it, Shodan, it's possible that one cd's worth would be enough to satisfy your curiosity. I've done 4 episodes over the hols and have enjoyed it immensely so far, but I can imagine the novelty wearing thin. Don't know if I'll buy the second series, or watch this one again, but I'm glad I bought it - even the missus enjoyed it and she doesn't remember the original showing.

The next step is to annoy the grandchildren with it!

I, too, am not sure if I will watch all of it, but I know I've got more chance of this than getting through something like Monkey, which gets pretty dull pretty quickly.

However, will try to watch like it's a televised series to avoid overkill and getting annoyed with the credits/theme tune, ie only 1 or 2 episodes per week.

With nearly 20hrs of viewing, what a great way to start the year! It's not exactly cheap per se, but £60 to grab a slice of your childhood is a bargain IMO.

Originally posted by MickTheMac
AV Geezer
Well, if I had applied my usual standards for picture quality this series would never have got bought. It looks a bit like someone taped the original series at home and then wrote their own DVD. However, for me this is part of the cheesy charm and, as Ascomdog pointed out, watching this again just like I remember it does transport me back to my schooldays.

As for whether you'll ever watch it, Shodan, it's possible that one cd's worth would be enough to satisfy your curiosity. I've done 4 episodes over the hols and have enjoyed it immensely so far, but I can imagine the novelty wearing thin. Don't know if I'll buy the second series, or watch this one again, but I'm glad I bought it - even the missus enjoyed it and she doesn't remember the original showing.

The next step is to annoy the grandchildren with it!

Heya,

Is this box set dubbed like the UK version of the TV series, or is it in original language with English subs?

Cheers

Sami

Dubbed. Narration by Bert Kwouk.
I'm unaware of an original language (ie japanese) withs subs version, and I'd be surprised if there was one to be honest.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom