The Watcher In The Woods - Which Version?

Ger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing this film as a child when it first came out (over 20 years ago) for a friend's birthday party. It scared me then, but I haven't seen it since. Any reviews I have read about it have had the same reaction and say that the film still holds up. So since I can't find it to rent, I am looking to buy it, but have come across 3 versions. Does anyone know which is best?

R1 Anchor Bay DTS-ES
R1 Disney DD5.1
R2 Stereo

The 2 R1's are about the same price ($18 from Amazon.com), but the R2 is only £5.99 from Play.com. The film was originally filmed on 70mm with 6 track audio, so the 5.1 tracks are "real" (so I have read at least!). Also, the R1's contain 2 substantial alternate endings, while the R2 contains no extras.

Anyone have any advice?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
R1 All the way its the best one to get. the extras are good and the Poster Reproduction insert Collectable Booklet make it worth.

I think you will find the R1 versions are not the same price
The Anchor Bay version is about $50
The non Anchor Bay version is $18

If the Marketplace seller does not state in the sales pitch it is the Anchor Bay version, then they will sell you the Buena Vista disk and when/if you complain will state they didn't know there were two different versions. Look at their feedbacks 95% or less is a very iffy seller.

pjclark1 said:
I think you will find the R1 versions are not the same price
The Anchor Bay version is about $50
The non Anchor Bay version is $18

If the Marketplace seller does not state in the sales pitch it is the Anchor Bay version, then they will sell you the Buena Vista disk and when/if you complain will state they didn't know there were two different versions. Look at their feedbacks 95% or less is a very iffy seller.

I see what you mean. The $18 seller doesn't explicity say its the Anchor Bay release, whereas the ~$40 and above sellers do. Do you know if I can contact them to confirm through the marketplace? (can't see any obvious way at the moment). Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom