1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Warriors - The Ultimate Director's Cut (1979)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by raigraphixs, Aug 26, 2005.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,373
  2. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,968
    Jesus Christ, another ******* remake of a classic movie :mad: :mad: :suicide: :rolleyes: :nono:

3. kookook

kookook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not think they should come out with a remake I think people who never saw the original will think it sux. Im wayyy against it. But who knows it could be good. But theres no way its gonna be the same.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Does anyone know if the 'Director's Cut' is the same as the one thatthe BBC normally put out. The one where it starts in daylight on the boardwalks on Coney island?

Also, check out the link http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/ and you'll see some photos of ME in 'Baseball fury' fancy dress.

Click on 'fan pictures' and scroll down to '1982 Party'.
    I'm on the right on all pics :rotfl:

I was only 16 at the time and v skinny (developing) judging by the middle pic!

Here's a 'sample'

[​IMG]
    (Mod please note, photo is mine so OK for me to use direct link)

5. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,968
    :D

6. Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The fact that Tony 'MTV' Scott (inferior director to bro Ridley) is at the helm is enough to make me avoid this one like the plague.

Can't stand his 'style' of film making, never have, never will.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Just watched the new version on DVD and altough the picture quality is the best i've seen with this film, the remixed 5.1 is OK as far as re-mixes go for an original mono films, the newly inserted 'comic book' wipes almost spoil the film.
    I've never considered The Warriors to be a 'comic book' style film like say Diack Tracy or Sin City. It just looks out of place.

And to claim these are '7 added scenes' is a bit TOO much!

A classic scene is also runied too...

In one of the best scenes in the film where they come running out of the station and Ajax says "WHERE ARE THEY", the cut in the original cuts to the baseball furies which kind of anwsers Ajax question. BUT in the new version it freezes, goes into 'comic book mode' and then cuts to the other Warriors who have split up to anwser Ajax's question more literlly.
    It then come back to Ajax and the Baseball Furies and the whole tension is COMPLETWELY LOST AND RUINED. :mad:

Another scene ruined is the end scene when The Warriors are walking down the beach.
    In the original they go on walking for ages with the credits rolling on top, yet in the new version it is BRUTALLY cut short to about 10 seconds, froze and yes you guessed it...goes into 'comic book mode' and role credits.....COMPLETELY RUINED :mad:

That aside I still enjoyed it in the sense that I have never seen it in WS (although I think its open matte) and this clear. In parts it was like watching a new film.

The featurettes are intersting and some of the actors do the usual 'look back in fondness'. WO do some of em look old :eek:

But to claim there is '4 featurettes' is a another con just to pad out the extras.
    It's just one doc split into 4 smaller ones. A 'trick' that is as old as the DVD format itself.

A bit dissapointed that they didn't include the cut opening daylight scene as an extra. I agree that it should have been cut but they only briefly showed it in one of the featurettes.

A Walter Hill commentary would have been nice. I'm sorry but his excuse that the 'film should speak for itsself' has been used by many Directors and is just another way of saying 'I can't be bothered' :mad:

This has turned into a bit of a review!

It's still worth buying if like me you are a fan of the film, but yet againg Paramount have wasted an opportunity in doing a classic film justice on DVD.

Oh...the game's GREAT though :thumbsup:

9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They remake films like they remix older music now....why...cos no one today can come up with anything as good as the older stuff as much as they did in decades gone by :rolleyes:

10. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Or all the subjects have been covered, so all you can do is cover them again with the latest styles applied to it.

Coming up with something COMPLETLY original (be it music or film) these days is near-on impossible. No matter what, someone will say "oh thats just like..."

And the few times that someone does come up with something original, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and you end up with a slew of rip-offs.

11. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,968
    I disagree that originality is dead, its is ONLY in Hollywood.

**** Hollywood :lesson: :D

12. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Can he possibly do a worst job with "The Warriors" remake as he did with the truly awful "Domino"?

13. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,479
    Enough bypassing of the swear filter pRot3us. It's there for a reason.

Thanks
    Greg

14. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,968
    sorry :blush:

15. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    i just finished watching it myself, it's been so long since i seen the original. i guess from your comments the comic book effect wasn't in the original, i honestly can't remember. the picture and sound quality were pretty good, having not remember the exact details of the original cut and just having a vague memory of the movie, i would say the new cut works and the comic book effects aren't as bad as it might sound, but obviously purists and fans of the movie will probably hate it. the 5.1 mix is fine, it's pretty much just the soundtrack mixed across the speakers, no real bangs or whatever flying around the speakers, just dialoge in the centre

i guess i'm not such a fan of this movie, so not really the best review i suppose. i like certain elements of it, such as the dj sections, and i like to collect cult movies, and love certain types of 70s movies, so it's perhaps an essential disc for collectors of those movies, although you might be better off with the theatrical version

16. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,587
    I think it's ripe for a remake...it looks so dated now...Tony Scott's ok, he's made a few good films...or maybe you would prefeer someone like McG to do it?

17. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose if its done right remakes can be a good thing...ie War of the worlds...both movies are brilliant

18. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Since there is no mention of the new UK Director's Cut on DVDCompare - can anyone says if there are any differences between the American and UK version please.

Cheers.

19. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    i would doubt it as the movie is really pretty tame to todays standards.

btw i think i saw play or somewhere selling the R2 DC for £4.99 - if not play, check cdwow.com - i got an email about it in the past 24 hours from somewhere

20. danjaq

danjaq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks. Yes, it was CD-WOW, in fact I added this bargain to an exisiting thread...actually cheaper with the Iowa link - £3.99 or less!

21. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    It looks like the differences are the aspect ratios, the US one is 1.85 and the UK one (according to CDWow) is 1.78.
    I dont know which is the correct aspect ratio or if there is even a difference but I wouldnt mind finding out!!

22. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/technical

the original movie was 1:185 according to imdb. i doubt your going to notice much difference apart from saving a few quid

23. KevD

KevD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    Its not a case of noticing, just a case of knowing :eek: But you are right, Over a tenner for the R1 or less than £4 for the R2 :clap:

24. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I just hope they make a better job of the remake than they did with Assault on Precinct 13. Another classic from the same era. Some concepts just don't suit being brought up to date. It was the lack of technology and modern weapons that made both of those films so suspenseful and watchable the first time around. A bit like The Sweeney, another classic from the 70s which worked so well because it was based in the right era.

25. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    they're not remaking the sweeny with tom cruise and morgan freeman are they? directed by tony scott? :D