1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Warrior

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by James45, Jun 24, 2003.

1. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really shouting this one from the rooftops. Asif Kapadia's debut masterpiece is now out on R2, I paid £7.99 not having seen it and it really paid off.
    Irfan Khan plays a hired warrior who renounces violence after being sent on a brutal mission to punish a village.
    It's beautifully shot and fairly sparse in dialogue but Khan gives the impression that he could go the whole film without saying a word and still convey a whole spectrum of emotion through his facial expressions.
    The majority of the cast weren't actors but put many professional actors to shame.
    It's powerful, shocking and packed with emotion. The disc also includes 65mins of deleted scenes with commentary!! full director's commentary!! a 45 making of documentary!! and Kapadia's student short film The Sheep Thief. Amazing value... go buy it.

2. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I liked this film a lot as well, a good change of pace from the normal hollywood fare, the story is stretched (the basis of the story is below) but he manges to bind it well in the timeframe.

The perfomances are great, i thought the landlord/extortionist was brilliant potrayal of nonchalent evil, even if the actor was in it for a couple of mins only!

Based on a two line japanese story.

A Samurai has left his masters employment (a unforgivable action in ancient Asia)and goes to live with his son. The masters warriors find the Samurais son and ask for his father, the son replys he is dead, the warriors want proof, so the son says they can kill him as he no longer has a father, so they cut off his head.

Basically he died to protect his father.