The Walking Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Frank Darabont to tackle the zombies

US cable channel AMC has ordered a TV pilot adaptation based on Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore's post-apocalyptic zombie graphic novels.

The Walking Dead graphic novels in print form have been running since 2003. Centered on Rick Grimes, a small-town police officer from Cynthiana, Kentucky, his family, and a number of other survivors who have banded together in order to survive after the world is overrun with zombies. As the series progresses, the characters become more developed, and their personalities shift under the stress of a zombie apocalypse. Fighting growing despair — and sometimes each other — the group searches for a secure location which they can finally call home.

Kirkman and Gale Anne Hurd will executive produce on the "Walking Dead" series alongside Frank Darabont ("The Shawshank Redemption," "The Mist"), who will also write and direct the pilot which will go into production this spring. Trivia, Gale Anne Hurd has had a lot off success, producing major hits like The Terminator, Aliens and The Abyss and many more. She was once married to James Cameron and Brian De Palma.

AMC's Charlie Collier said that "working with people like Frank and Gale is the right way for us to deliver a project of distinction in this genre."

WalkingDead002.jpg

walkingdead50azj0.jpg

The-Walking-Dead.jpg

Last edited:
AMC network has picked up the show for a six-episode run. Filming is set for June in Atlanta, for an October release.

Jon Bernthal will play the role of Shane. Jonny Lee Miller is apparently in talks to take on the lead role of Rick Grimes.

Last edited:
Wonder how far 6 episoes will take them and how closely it will follow the books?

Lets hope they do it justice

:lease:

English actor Andrew Lincoln (Teachers) has been cast as the lead character. He will play Rick Grimes, a small-town police officer who leads a group of survivors of a zombie apocalypse.

andrew_lincoln.jpg

Prison Break's head grower Dr. Sara Tancredi played by Sarah Wayne Callies has landed the female lead role in "The Walking Dead," she will play Lori Grimes.

sarah-wayne-callies-sara-tancredi-p.jpg

Not massively convinced about the casting but I thought I would make a post on the actual story.
I'm about halfway through the saga and I'm getting through a book a day on my commute. The story is so perfect for a long running TV show and hold so much scope for being fleshed out into a show that could run 5+ seasons.
Like all Zombie tales this makes loads of economic and moral observations and really explores human emotion and desire to survive. In the sameway that Battlestar Galactica often became more of a drama show then Sci Fi, the Walking Dead has the same potential to appeal to a really wide audience. Anyone at a loose reading end I highly recommend these books. Scary, thrilling, intriguing. They genuinely have the lot ! Really really hope they make a good fist of the TV adaptation.

First look - “The Walkers”, from The Walking Dead

DW.jpg

dead2.jpg

dead3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, yes, YES

Thanks Rai for posting the above photos.

I've been waiting for some proper promo stuff on this, as I'm a massive fan of the comic-books

Funnily enough, I have just bought the compendium vol 1 (books 1-8). I'm half through the second book, and it's bloody brilliant. It's perfect for adaptation to television - I had no idea this was happening, and my purchase was on a whim, so I'm intrigued to see this on telly.

I have to say, though, I think Frank Darabont is massively overrated, so I have my concerns about the TV treatment. Darabont fluked it with The Shawshank Redemption, if you ask me, and hasn't come close since.

This may seem like a foolish question, but presuming a series is commissioned from the pilot, will we be seeing The Walking Dead as part of the autumn line-up?

LOVE zombie stuff, hope this will be as good as my head is telling me its going to be!! :lease:

Are there any clips or trailers doing the rounds?

Are there any clips or trailers doing the rounds?

no, this is the first video concerning The Walking Dead. Its only started filming in June, so i guess they have done all the makeup shots as above before filming.

I always picture the lead character to be the husband out of Medium, who was in the Dawn of the dead remake.

Yes Jake Webber would have been perfect, don't think Egg outta This Life has much of a screen presence

Those stills look fantastic. Thanks rai :smashin:

Looks a hell of a lot better than what Romero's been churning out recently.

Now, the decision. Do I buy the books now and possibly spoil the show, or enjoy the show without knowing what might happen next :confused:

Man, how am I only hearing about this now?! I'm a big fan of the graphic novels, and I've always thought that it'd make an excellent TV series. Not sure about that bloke from Teachers as Rick though...

Man, how am I only hearing about this now?! I'm a big fan of the graphic novels, and I've always thought that it'd make an excellent TV series. Not sure about that bloke from Teachers as Rick though...

Totally agree. I guess its up to him to make the role his own. Having read the books I think its fair to say that although Rick is a leader he is a very vulnerable character.

Robert Kirkman has revealed the extent of his involvement with the making of the Walking Dead live action television series.

The forthcoming television show will be based on Kirkman's highly successful Image Comics series about a world overrun by zombies.

"I will be on set when they start filming," Kirkman told Vulture. "I’ve already been down to Atlanta [where the show will be filmed].

"I’ve been out to Hollywood - I’ve been in the writers’ room for a week, working with them on the plots for the first season. I’ve been fairly hands on, but I'm trying to back off as much as I can, because my main focus is the comic-book series.

"As a comic-book reader, I hate it when a comic gets adapted and the writer just takes a vacation. I don’t want to take a vacation. So I’m trying not to spend too much time working on the show, but I’m fairly hands-on.

"Now having said that, if people end up not liking the show, I had nothing to do with it."

Production on the show's greenlit first six episodes began this week.

First look at Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes

click to enlarge

more pics

wdb1.jpg

wdc1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom