• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

THE voice of Rugby has died

• Thread starter Deleted member 30535
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30535

Bill McLaren

4296910519_e434611c35_o.png

BBC News - Bill McLaren, the 'voice of rugby', dies aged 86

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/quinn-bill-mclaren-goodbye-legend-3337185

For me he was Rugby. Sad loss.

FlagshipDevice

Very very sad, I grew up listening to him. God bless Him.

I 'look forward' to the tributes in the forthcoming Six-Nations.

ste v p

Very sad, his was the voice I grew up listening to as a child watching the 5 and 6 Nations. Maintained impartiality whilst displaying a genuine enthusiasm for the game. He also commentated on Jonah Lomu rugby.

My favourite expression was always "he's launched the Garry Owen" every time someone did an up and under.

A loss to the game

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30535

It was a golden era for commentators.
McLaren=Rugby Union
Waring= Rugby League
Coleman= Athletics
Carpenter=Boxing
Maskell=Tennis
Walker=Motor Racing
Lowe=Snooker

There must have been a voice of cricket too, but I never watched as a kid nor as an adult.

Any other sporting commentating legends from the same era?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Was my rugby coach at Primary school and at Hawick High School and I lived in the street just behind his house for many years. Nice bloke and rugby mad (obviously). I personally hated rugby with a passion as thats all we got at school in the Borders, football was a swear word. He would always stop and speak to you in the street if he 'kent yer face' and he always had a stash of Hawick Balls sweets on him. Was a funny time at our High School for those who are rugby mad as our headmaster at the time was Jim Telfer who went on to coach Scotland. McLaren was a Nice bloke and will be missed by millions. For once they won't be 'Dancing in the streets of Hawick tonight'

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30535

I say Phil, you weren't on the BBC archive footage at lunch time when John Inverdale did his tribute? THere appeared to be some yongsters at Hawick school!

I don't know if you saw it but the previous interview with Bill was shown, it was one of the best interviews I've seen. Very poignant and showed Bill over the years. Well done the Beeb!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom