The Villainess (15 September 2017 limited) directed by Jung Byung-gil

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
A mishmash of similar films in the action genre

Watch: Korean Film “The Villainess” Receives 4 Minute Standing Ovation At Cannes Film Festival + Trailer

Viewer Discretion Advised

fullsizephoto842770.jpg

Last edited:
Woah, just seen the trailer for this whilst perusing the Arrow titles thread on blu-ray forum. I'm quite excited about this, and I haven't felt that way about Korean movies in a while. Sure, it doesn't seem to have an original bone in its body, but it looks like super stylish femme fatale action! Strong female characters are the rage this year, and this looks to continue with The Villainess. A bit of Nikita, the kickassery of Atomic Blonde, throw in some Kill Bill etc. Its cinema release is 15th September, but apparently will only be at one cinema - Glasgow Film Institute! I think I'll just be getting the Arrow Blu-ray in 30th October. :)

Just stumbled across a 4* review of The Villainess in Empire magazine...

The Villainess | Review

Looks like it's only getting released at a handful of independent cinemas though...

TheVillainess.co.uk

London: The Prince Charles and Genesis
Birmingham: The Mockingbird
Leicester: The Phoenix
Lewes: Depot
Sheffield: Showroom
Dublin: Irish Film Institute

Following its UK debut last night...

Korean Film Festival on Twitter
Sold out @RegentStCinema for #TheVillainess LKFF 2017 Programme Launch And Final Teaser Screening! #theLKFF

Being a fan of Korean/Asian movies its been a while since a good one has come across, this was a like the good days (oldboy, bittersweet life, chaser). Great Action and storyline with humour thrown in.

I've not seen it yet but this was shown at Frightfest a few weeks back and the general consensus was mixed.

Apparently it suffers a lot from shaky camera footage during the (far too few) action scenes, a number of people mentioned it.

I've not seen it yet but this was shown at Frightfest a few weeks back and the general consensus was mixed.

Apparently it suffers a lot from shaky camera footage during the (far too few) action scenes, a number of people mentioned it.
Agree with the point above, this was off putting.

I watched The Villainess up the indie cinema in Berkhamsted last night and found it a bit meh too.

The first-person action sequences were quite entertaining to begin with but by the end it merely felt like I was watching someone playing a gory computer game; I just didn't find them nearly so thrilling as those in The Raid or Atomic Blonde, let alone the legendary corridor scene in Oldboy.

Then there was the rather tedious melodrama in the middle just dragged on and on, although the kid provided a few moments of mirth at least.

6/10

I watched this last night and I completely agree with @systemsdead and @SteveAWOL .

Nikita meets Hardcore Henry, too long, too much melodrama, too much shaky-cam, too derivative. Didn't care for the FPS gimmick. Quite a disappointment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom