• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The very costly trip to the dentist.

Just been to the dentist this morning and now need some treatment..........Got bill of £506.00 :eek: :mad: :suicide: Its also only for 1 tooth :eek:

Currently about to go on holiday in a few weeks and all money is all currently allocated. Am I being ripped off by my dentist ? Have others had the same issues ? Does anyone know about price limits ? Looks like I will be eating water for the next 6 weeks. :devil:

Oh and the other half is not happy either, can today get any better :(

mjn

Distinguished Member
Wouldn't toothpaste and a tooth brush have been cheaper?

Orson

Prominent Member
Have you had the treatment done, or is the 'bill' just an advice of what it will cost?

If you haven't had it done, or committed to have it done, can't you join one of the dentist insurance plans available, and then get the work done later? That's depending on whether or not you can wait, and bear in mind, some of them have a qualifying period before you can claim.

http://www.hsa.co.uk/HSA/products/dental_plans/

http://www.denplan.co.uk/mydenplan/products/products.htm

Are a couple that spring to mind, but I'm not in either of them, so can't recommend.

There are quite a few out there from what I remember when I looked a few months ago, and I do remember seeing at least one that you didn't have a qualifying period, but I can't remember who it was with.

PAH

Established Member
Sounds about right for a new crown if going 100% private.

Is there any chance of getting it done on the NHS? Could check for local dentists (via the NHS Direct website) that offer NHS subsidised treatment.

Can anyone give any inside or up to date info on the state of dentistry in the UK and how it works between private and NHS?

Is the government trying to deter NHS based treatment, so in effect making those of us who go to work and pay national insurance still have to pay for dental work?

I had an old crown come loose a while ago after moving to a new area, and ringing around from the yellow pages many dentists weren't interested or couldn't fit me in unless I was willing to pay £40 or £50 to get it re-cemented. :mad:

Then there's the insurance packages they try to get you to buy where you pay about £12 per month even when you've only had to have a couple of fillings in the last 10 years.

It really does wind me up. Maybe I'm just not informed about the best way of getting treatment these days. Private practices where they rake in the cash are hardly going to give me impartial advice are they. I'm sceptical about them saying I need treatment that I don't really need just to earn some more cash.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
I feel for you, I really do.

My dentist went Private, and I had to get some root canal treatment done. It came to £360, and I was mortified, as it had to be done, and I had no choice in the matter. I ended up having to put it on my plastic, and you wonder why people have debt. I think it is scandalous, that we pay National Insurance etc, and yet have to pay such fees at the dentist, whilst others get for nothing.

I can't afford such fees, and am petrified for the next thing that goes wrong. Need to cash in shares or have a mortgage holiday at the rate they charge nowadays (joke, but not funny)

Enjoy your holiday though.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I recently had a goldcrown and root canal work at a fantastic NHS dentist. Total bill was around £180 from memory.

Plenty of NHS dentists are now taking new patients again in most areas. Have a look on the NHS direct website.

bongo123

Established Member
I'm totally **** scared of the dentist and have been neglecting my teeth for ages, they need a hell of a lot of work done to them especially replacing all my old fillings with white ones, but thing is I've left it so late that I'm sure my bill could run into hundreds of pounds and probably over a grand easily, would signing up for one these dental plans be a way round this? unfortunately i probably earn more than is required to get them on the cheap/free

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
If a dentist is listed on the NHS Direct website does that mean he's taking NHS patients?

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I'm totally **** scared of the dentist and have been neglecting my teeth for ages, they need a hell of a lot of work done to them especially replacing all my old fillings with white ones, but thing is I've left it so late that I'm sure my bill could run into hundreds of pounds and probably over a grand easily, would signing up for one these dental plans be a way round this? unfortunately i probably earn more than is required to get them on the cheap/free

If you find an NHS one then you pay a single flat fee for the whole course of treatment. maximum charge is what i paid. somewhere around £180 i think.

If a dentist is listed on the NHS Direct website does that mean he's taking NHS patients?

I'm sure there was a link for only dentists taking on new patients as well. Even if not just call your closest ones and ask.

NHS dentistry is a lot different to the way it was a few years ago, most NHS dentists do the same treatment for there private patients and just charge them a lot more!. Some of the materials used for crowns/dentures are higher quality privatley but at a cost. White fillings etc.. are the norm with the NHS now.

bongo123

Established Member
If you find an NHS one then you pay a single flat fee for the whole course of treatment. maximum charge is what i paid. somewhere around £180 i think.

I'm sure there was a link for only dentists taking on new patients as well. Even if not just call your closest ones and ask.

NHS dentistry is a lot different to the way it was a few years ago, most NHS dentists do the same treatment for there private patients and just charge them a lot more!. Some of the materials used for crowns/dentures are higher quality privatley but at a cost. White fillings etc.. are the norm with the NHS now.

dude you just made my day:thumbsup:

B

boltonbrowny

Look into getting into the HSA, depending on which plan you go for you would recoup at least half of the money back straight away, youre also not tied to the plan and can cancel anytime.
Im currently paying for the basic plan which covers me, the wife and two kids for dentistry, physio, accupunture, osteopathy and quite a few other things(brochure somewhere) we where even paid (£100) when our second child was born, the basic plan is £10 a month.

B

boltonbrowny

Same thing here Bongo, depending on which plan you go for you could half the dentists fees by joining HSA, was in the same boat as you as regards not visiting for years, eventually plucked up the courage and went for it, I never miss a 6 month checkup and have them scaled and polished at the same time, ive also had them bleached which everyone i know has commented on..not bad for a middle aged brickie from Bolton:D

P

PrettyGreen

I paid £338 last week for a 2-tooth bridge, basically a crown with another attached to fill a gap. And that was with an NHS dentist as well. My daughter has just got all A*'s and A's in her GCSE's and she wants to be a journalist or interpreter when she leaves school. I told her to forget that and be a dentist instead.

Mindcrime

Established Member
Just been to the dentist this morning and now need some treatment..........Got bill of £506.00 :eek: :mad: :suicide: Its also only for 1 tooth :eek:

Depends on what you are having done to the tooth. If it's a filling then it is expensive, if it's a root canal with crown then it's reasonable.

A root canal & basic white filling cost me about the same and I'm in Toronto, so it's not a case of being ripped off.

BAN5HEE

Prominent Member
That's about the normal price to get a root canal and crown fitted. I had one done this year. Luckily My work has a dental plan so I didn't pay for it but I know it cost about the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom