1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Velodyne Issue

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by EvilMudge, Feb 13, 2003.

1. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There have been a few (to my mind fairly valid) posts around these parts concerning Velodyne mania. It would appear that the Speakers and Subwoofers forum has become the kind of place that the owner of a non-Velodyne subwoofer fears to tread.
    Personally I think there are two reasons why this has occurred:

One, these units are actually pretty good. They perform to their specifications, and their specifications are world beating.

Two, Uncle Eric get's them to the addicted masses cheap.:smashin:

Here's my challenge:
    Sub manufacturers - more competition please. We want subs of this calibre or better, at all price ranges.

Dealers - we want the kind of service that Eric provides. There are wealthy/obsessed people on these forums, and they want to give you their money if you can convince them your products and service deserve it.

Then and only then will people stop talking about Velodyne's subwoofers, and we will find something else to talk about.

I'd like to make it clear that I have no affiliation with either Eric or Velodyne, nor do I presently own any of their products.

2. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I think people in this forum will continue to praise Velodyne subwoofers (especially the CHT & HGS range) simply because they offer superb performance for the money. I would stick my neck out on the line and say that for under £1000, you'd be hard push to find a better subwoofer than the Velodyne CHT-15 that performs extremely well in both music and movies. If you can get your hands on a fully working Servo-15 from Richer Sounds, then that might offer better money for value than the CHT-15 (and perhaps slightly better performance on paper) but the trouble is getting hold of them seems to be hard.

I would still love to hear a Servo-15 vs CHT-15 back to back though. :)

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice thread Evil :smashin:

I don't subscribe to brand loyalty as a rule, if REL or M&K brought out an HGS beating sub for similar money I'd be interested, in the real world though I just can't see it happening. I've always thought that if Paradigm upgraded the Servo 15 to an 18" version with a more powerfull amp it would still be under £1000 in this country and would be unbeatable in the bang for buck stakes period. Paradigm and velodyne make it very hard for me not to subscribe to brand loyaly being as they are the undisputed kings of speakers/subs.................all IMHO I might add.

EvilMudge - RS have no idea where the current shipment is let alone it's ETA, how I love RS's reliability :rolleyes:

4. cajunlab

cajunlab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel your pain!
    Just look at hometheaterforum.com, it is nothing more than an SVS Subwoofer infomercial.
    AVSforum.com is a Rocket speakers infomercial.
    This forum is not NEAR that bad YET.
    If you note that observation your posts are removed.
    I actually came here looking for info on REL.
    (The grass is always greener on the other side)
    Sounds like Velo is admired where REL is affordable.
    In US REL is admired where Velo is affordable.
    Oh well:suicide:

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's true, but Velodyne is still affordable compared to REL in Europe as well. As Steve.EX pointed out, the DD18 will still be cheaper than a comparatively underperforming REL ST series sub.

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taken from REL's website :

It is widely acknowledged that REL's special mix of attributes: build quality, peerless engineering and stunning performance, is without equal at every price level.

I don't know why I posted that, I have no comment to make at all ;)

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thats why i swapped my rel sub for a B&W sub.:D
    gonzo.

8. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite right, no-one else makes a sub that is exactly as good as a REL at exactly the same price. They're either worse, or better :laugh:

9. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arf Arf!

10. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I don't have a sub, so I can't join this debate.