The Vegan and Vegetarian Thread

D

Deleted member 585609

Did and search and couldn't see any other threads covering this.

Any of you Vegan?
Any of you Ovo-Vegetarian?
Any of you Lacto-Vegetarian?
Any of you Ovo-Lacto-Vegetarian?

I have been Ovo-Lacto-Vegetarian for a couple years (with the occasional bacon slip up, like once a year), but since the beginning of 2014 I have gone Vegan :)

I've got absolutely no problem, nor real opinion with regards to what other people choose to eat, or not eat. That being said, I know that this (Veganism) can be a very provocative subject - especially for some meat-eaters. Mainly because they don't understand why people don't want to eat meat. I predict that this thread will be rather short lived, as most posts won't stay helpful, relevant or even OT...

It's an odd topic for someone to start and admit they eat bacon. How is the New Year's resolution going?
It wasn't a resolution, just decided to do it :)

I haven't eaten bacon in about a year, like my op says, that was while only vegetarian, and like once a year :)

I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since the early 1990s (I forget when, exactly). I don't eat meat, fish or any animal-derived products like gelatine. My shoes are vegetarian and my belt is vegetarian.

Unfortunately my car has a leather gear gaiter and steering wheel.

My vegetarianism is private. I don't make a song and dance about it. If you want to eat meat, then it's entirely your decision and nothing to do with me. In return, I'd appreciate my own decision being respected, even if you don't understand it (which is pretty much everyone, to be frank).

@1iam, I was mildly teasing :blush:sorry. Interesting you say only while vegetarian though, why does the ovo-lacto make a difference? You haven't mentioned fish, I assume they are off too.

Genuine discussion points BTW, not a challenge.

Last edited:
I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since the early 1990s (I forget when, exactly). I don't eat meat, fish or any animal-derived products like gelatine. My shoes are vegetarian and my belt is vegetarian.

Unfortunately my car has a leather gear gaiter and steering wheel.

My vegetarianism is private. I don't make a song and dance about it. If you want to eat meat, then it's entirely your decision and nothing to do with me. In return, I'd appreciate my own decision being respected, even if you don't understand it (which is pretty much everyone, to be frank).

Then why even mention it?

your vegetarianism isn't private, you just told the entire internet about it.

Edit: One of our supermods is staunchly vegetarian so this isn't a put down :)

Last edited:
Nope no fish either :)

It was a video made by PETA, Glass Walls that pushed me to make this decision

Then why even mention it?

your vegetarianism isn't private, you just told the entire internet about it.

Edit: One of our supermods is staunchly vegetarian so this isn't a put down :)

One of our Admins is Vegan, ya mean ? :) Dunno 'bout "staunch" however - though it seems apt when used commonly as a verb (as in a flow of blood).

Pruning off-topic and trolls.

Another persons eating preferences have nothing to do with anyone else unless it directly affects them or they use it to preach to others.
I don't go round trying to convert anyone to eating meat. I would expect the same courtesy of a vegetarian.
Living part time with one, it directly effects my diet. And they often ask if I enjoyed my 'meaty tea' when they are not around. Why?
Vegetarianism is a personal choice. Not a medical one. So work round me and don't expect me to work round you :)

I agree, I don't like to push my choice and views onto anyone. If people want to eat meat/animal products thats their business. Nothing worse than someone telling you that you are wrong for being/not being a certain way or not sharing the same views.

Since my son was born in October I've been cooking for my wife and I (previously, we cooked and ate separately). As she is a vegetarian (ovo lacto), I have by extraction been one too. This has been an interesting and for the most part enjoyable experience. I like cooking and adapting what I know to making good vegetarian food has been interesting- you have to think about the whole dish and work to a single end rather than a more disparate 'meat and' exercise. Curries, chillies, most Italian food and soups all work perfectly well as vegetarian or vegan. After four months, I have noticed a few other points.

1) I don't miss meat. One I haven't given it up as such, just reduced consumption by roughly nine tenths but on a wider level, by choosing my recipes and cooking them properly, everything has been normal. The issues, such as they are have been in unexpected areas. My leek and potato soup recipe came from mother in law and is a classic Irish one. As such it has chicken stock in it. Switching to vegetable stock left it thinner and over salty and took a few goes to correct. While I don't miss meat, however;

2) I'm not saving any money. Decent vegetarian food is costing me as much as a meat based diet (with my meat coming from responsible sources). My new leek and potato soup benefits hugely from a dash of truffle oil. Truffle oil however is not a bargain upgrade. While my wallet is no fuller;

3) I don't feel any different. Carnivores may be disappointed to hear that I don't feel tired or listless. Keener vegetarians may be equally put out to find I don't feel healthier or livelier. I'm still me for better or worse. There is however one thing I am equally sure of;

4) Meat substitutes are revolting. Every. Single. One. Anybody who tells me these are a passable alternative to meat must have been eating terrible meat.

Even if I went the whole way and my diet became exclusively vegetarian, I still wouldn't describe myself as one. Stopping eating meat has been easy but I will never, ever wear plastic shoes and we ordered new leather sofas in December.

My girlfriend is veggie in the sense that she eats nothing with a face. That includes stuff like gelatin and suet etc. Since moving in with her over summer I've essentially become a vegetarian when at home. I don't actively avoid eating meat but it's generally easier to cook one meal that works for both of us than two meals just so I can have meat. If you're even a half decent cook then it's easy enough to make damn good veggie friendly food.

I have a friend from Uni who is vegan and we all wind him up because he can be quite militant. Other than him though, I couldn't care less what you eat. As far as I'm concerned, everyone chooses to eat, or not eat, whatever the hell they like. If people don't try and preach to me about why being vegetarian is so much better then that's fine. It's your decision, keep it to yourself.

Fully respect everyone's eating habits, but is there anything non meat better than a bacon sandwich?

Also in the last 3 weeks I've had pig brain and cats stomach, we are carnivores so I feel no shame eating meat. Hunting for pleasure I cannot stand but that's a different story.

Fully respect everyone's eating habits, but is there anything non meat better than a bacon sandwich?

I have bacon sandwiches 'bout every week and I'm vegan. So it's some form of vegan version. Hits the same spot a 'real' one would have done so my pleasure receptors are just as happy as yours.

I agree, I don't like to push my choice and views onto anyone. If people want to eat meat/animal products thats their business. Nothing worse than someone telling you that you are wrong for being/not being a certain way or not sharing the same views.

I don't need to tell you that you are wrong. Bacon does that whenever you smell it with every delicious whiff :)

I'm a omnomnomnivore

Pruning off-topic and trolls.
Good.
One point - it's a shame we don't see more options that would appeal to non-vegetarians that just happen to be vegetarian.
Just because I eat meat don't make it compulsory for every meal. Mind you the lack of choice will be even more frustrating for vegetarians, I am just thinking of opening it up.

There are big things happening in making non-meat things meaty. Particularly gluten-based recipes and by molecular gastronomes who know their stuff. Five years from now there will be far better commercial options. They are only going to get more and more 'meat-like' and less and less 'cruel'. Plant/nut Milks are phenomenal; I'm as keen to suck the spit off a cow's warm tongue than drink its milk now. And most of us have poor lactase persistence anyway - because we are not supposed to be weaning anymore ! And the other thing is cheese - are you reading @IronGiant ? :) - with rejuvelac/soy recipes getting closer and closer to 'the real thing' (lactobacilli, FTW !). It actually doesn't matter to me - as a Vegan - if it's "not quite as good" as a cow-derived cheese as that shortfall is paid for by miserabilising and killing animals and I'm not happy about paying that price. That's the line you cross and at the end of the day food taste and texture is just petty pleasure on your tongue; I'm not prepared to have living things suffer to satiate some selfish, ignorant drive to crave and eat a certain food/drink. I know such compassionate views aggravate meaters but that's their tough chew.

I'm not prepared to have living things suffer to satiate some selfish, ignorant drive to crave and eat a certain food/drink. I know such compassionate views aggravate meaters but that's their tough chew.

Well, I'm glad that's cleared that up then. Thanks for such a sensible post :facepalm:

Although it did take longer than I first thought for this type of viewpoint to arrive.

For those who are vegetarian on moral grounds, would you consider eating 3D printed meat products made from lab grown meat? I am a meat eater and I can't wait for this technology. We can get perfect Ribeye steaks every time with the perfect balance of fat to muscle ratio and no animal has to die.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom