• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The upscaling conundrum

nevermore80

Standard Member
This question has had me vexed for a couple of weeks now, despite reading and reading and reading through old threads... i'd really appriciate anyones thoughts on the matter...

I have a panasonic th-37px80b. With an oldish Sony DVD player connected via an average scart cable... As this TV is well known for its ability to upscale SD signals, would there be any benefit in me buying a budget (£50-£70) upscaling DVD player?

I realise that any budget dvd player would be unlikely to upscale to the same quality to my TV... but... if i set the DVD player to standard output, but connected through HDMI... would it end up giving me a better picture than i currently have with my old Sony?

I hope this makes sense, cos my head is spinning on this one!

Bergstrand

Standard Member
Most definately Yes.

Treat yourself to a decent player with a HDMI connection, and you'll be amazed at the difference in quality.

You will need to spend more than £70 though.

I have a pioneer DV-400V DVD player [approx £100], which is an excellent upscaler, but also great for deep color.

But their are many great players now, inc Toshiba's latest.

Good luck

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
You say an old Sony DVD player, which one, does it have component out (do not mix up with composite).
Component from DVD player to TV will yield excellent results especially if it also does component progressive.

WGLOVER

Established Member
If you only have composite, any DVD player with RGB, component or HDMI outputs will improve your picture. Composite is terrible.
I have a Panasonic 42PX060, and have bought various DVD players, going thro' RGB, component and HDMI versions.
Even though Panasonic claim great things for the upscaling ability of their TVs, I really see an improvement in sharpness and clarity using the HDMI upscaling of the DVD player. My latest is the Toshiba XDE500, and I find that amazing, beating my previous Sony, Denon 1730 and my new Panny Blu-ray 35 at upscaling.
For less than £100 you can by a player to beat the socks off your present machine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom