Question The upgrade itch....

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by leeed342, Apr 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. leeed342

leeed342

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi. I have put together a very nice little 2 channel music system comprising of a DV137 dvd machine (soundsfantastic with cd's), a Delta 90 amp, and a pair of Spendor S5's. I love the scale and weight that this system produces, but always have the itch to improve further. I have spotted an FMJ A19 in the classifieds, anyone know if this would be a significant upgrade over the Delta 90? I'm happy with the sound, and only want to change to get an improvement, not just change for changes sake.

Regards,

Lee.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Never compared them ... but my gut instinct would be the A19 wouldn't be an improvement.

3. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    I think that you would have to go to an FMJ A29 or above (from the current offerings) to improve on the Delta 90, but let your ears decide, not us.

4. FMJ

FMJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What exactly do you consider an improvement? Only in terms of sound quality? I'm sure the FMJ A19 would be at least as good as the Delta 90 in that regard, if not better. If your talking about aesthetics, then the A19 is a big improvement in my opinion. I've never cared for the looks of any of Arcam's products before the DIVA and FMJ lines came out. It also has the obvious advantage of being a much newer product, with all that entails (the Delta line is over 20 years old now).

My advice is to seek out an A18 from their previous FMJ line up instead. Why? Because you could probably find one cheaper for starters, and because that line up of integrated amps were the last of the FMJ's to be made in the UK.

Another option is to seek out one of the integrateds from the DIVA line, which are fine amps in their own right. They are easier to come by, and you may get a better deal on a more powerful amp (A90) then you otherwise would on a lesser FMJ model (A18) for the same price or less.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  5. leeed342

leeed342

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Evening. Just thought I would resurrect this thread to report my findings.
    I purchased an FMJ A29 earlier in the week. It arrived yesterday, and I was impressed at how well constructed and aesthetically pleasing the amp is. However, I have been most surprised to discover after a days listening, I prefer the sound of the 20 Year old Delta 90. Yes the 29 has more power, what can be described as a tighter, maybes cleaner sound, but it certainly doesn't offer as much musical enjoyment. It's going back next week. I may well look at older Arcam range upgrades..., not liking the latest amp sounds. It's got me wondering if my av system run by an AVR600 could also be improved upon by 'de-grading'!