The Untouchables 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Just got a digital copy so will check this out soon.

Thanks for the review Simon, I have this on pre order so glad the transfer scores so highly.

Thanks for the review. Goes on the rental list!

Love this film, especially Sean “don’t talk about the accent” Connery.

Just a great romp from start to finish.

The steel book does look amazing. But with my spare change gone onto Drive and few other things, I have to hope it stays available in the next couple of months.

I've always seen this as an average enjoyable romp of a film with a great cast but elevated to greatness cinematically purely by the presence of Morricone's score. Some of the set design and dressing and photography is stunning too but it's Morricone who lifts the whole to being something a bit special. He's the special sauce in this one.

Damn didnt notice that I wonder why?

Great review Simon, I was already hovering over the order button due to all the tat included but this has swung it for me cheers!

Rewatched this a month or two back after not seeing it in a long time. Think my expectations were a bit high from its all-time classic status. Was slightly underwhelmed. It's good, but not great. Definitely feels like a film set in the 1930s but made in the 80s, lacking any 80s nostalgia and perhaps a bit dated because of that.

Good to read that the A/V s top notch. For a movie that is indeed close (fairly) to cinematic perfection, one would expect as much.

Nice Steelbook but i’m done with them again for now. Slips all the way lol. Over 20 4K discs still to get through so i’ll add this down the line.

Watched this a few months ago and really wanted to love it but it's really lacking something.

This was probably the first 'mob' movie I watched if you exclude Bugsy Malone. I was too young to watch the Godfather films but it's a good introduction to the more violent world of prohibition era gangsters.

I loved the look of this film, it was beautifully shot and it had a style. I remember the suits were done by Giorgio Armani and it had that distinctive score by Ennio Morricone.

I think the casting was spot on and acted really well by all. Sean Connery was great and in many ways deserved his Oscar for this but his accent is difficult to ignore.

It's a favourite of mine so I'm looking forward to getting the steelbook collecters set. I don't normally go for steelbooks but it's a no-brainer for me.

Love this film, especially Sean “don’t talk about the accent” Connery.

Just a great romp from start to finish.

The steel book does look amazing. But with my spare change gone onto Drive and few other things, I have to hope it stays available in the next couple of months.
The thing with Connery and accents is that his was so thick he was never going to be able do anything else really.

So in the end why even try? Some work better than others simply because they blend in more if you know what I mean. Strangely his 'Russian' in THFRO kinda works in a weird way.

Here not so much ... Tried too hard

My collecters set arrived earlier. I love the hard case for the steelbook, it definately looks and feels more premium that a card slip cover or single layer slipcase. The steelbook even has debossing on the bullet holes.

Is this getting a standard release?

Something is very wrong when it's cheaper to import from the US. :thumbsdow

Is this getting a standard release?

Something is very wrong when it's cheaper to import from the US. :thumbsdow

There is basically just 2 options. You can either have a UHD disc via a steelbook or a Special Collectors Edition that includes the steelbook. Both are directlt via Paramount and they've not announced any plans to release the film on a 4K disc in regular packaging or a regular case. Whether they do so in the future is anyones guess?

There is a 35th Anniversary Edition available in the USA that comes in a regular case with a slipcover:

Whether this will be made available as a regular release in the UK at some future date is again anyones guess?

Last edited:
There is a 35th Anniversary Edition available in the USA that comes in a regular case with a slipcover:

Whether this will be made available as a regular release in the UK at some future date is again anyones guess?
Yes that was the cheaper import option I was referring to, I'll probably end up buying that.

Yes that was the cheaper import option I was referring to, I'll probably end up buying that.

The arttwork for the US disc is abysmal. It's worth the extra money to just not have that artwork :laugh:

Anyway, its £18.24 via WowHD (£21.89 inclusing postage and delivery):

Last edited:
The arttwork for the US disc is abysmal. It's worth the extra money to just not have that artwork :laugh:

Anyway, its £18.24 via WowHD:

In general I can't say I'm bothered by artwork, what the case is made of or whether the case comes with a piece of card slipped over it. I suppose some people might turn their chair to face their shelf for a couple of hours, I'd rather watch the film. 😄

The new artwork for the US standard edition is absolutely terrible. It looks like someone knocked up a quick composite in Photoshop. I'm almost certain it was created by someone young who has no reverence for the film. The early images that were released had arms out either side holding guns falling back in a first person view. Sure they removed them for the final art but it's barely any better.

While not the most important decision on purchasing a disc, the artwork used can influence my decision. In this instance it was night and day, the classic poster art is 100 times better and I'm glad they stuck with it for the rigid slipcase on the collecters set.

Who remembers those Entertainment in Video UK DVD covers? They were not very pretty, usually covered in quotes from reviews. As a graphic designer myself they stood out for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
I remember when EiV started to release on Blu-ray, and discs like Shoot ‘Em Up had covers that were just horizontally stretched as they weren’t the same shape as DVD covers. Superb artwork or packaging presentation on a physical release can prompt me to go for that instead of digital on regular occasion, and I agree with the comments above on the US art, although the original design with the extra photoshopped hands was absolutely execrable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom