The Unsung Heroes(overlooked gems) of XBLA!

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, here we are three years into XBLA, thought about starting a "favourite XBLA games" thread but let's face it, that would probably turn out pretty predictable with the majority mentions going to the likes of Geometry Wars 2, Braid etc. Great games but what about the less known XBLA gems that nobody talks about? Anyway, thought I post my thoughts on a few, feel free to add your own along with your commnents on what makes them worth their [-]salt[/-] points ;)

Undertow
Like an underwater Halo, beautiful 2D/3D graphics(Unreal engine), hugely atmospheric sound effects, superbly detailed character animations and great gameplay. It's basically a capture the point game, 16 players on & offline and 4 player co-op mode(which is also online). Highly underated game IMO, in my mind still a showcase title for XBLA, shame it never really saw its online potential as 16 players with friends(not randoms) could have been fantastic fun. Nice charcter class system with levelling-up, can even pad out the lobbies with AI(and choose the skill level).

Possible reason it was overlooked: Bad timing of the original release(right between Halo3 & CoD4) and when given away free to compensate for the Live problems I think people felt a tad bitter and it ended suffering the "me too" hate campaign. Also the default zoom level was too distant, it's full customizable which alot of people didn't realise, half way zoom is perfect and really shows off the attention to detail.

Switchball
A masterpiece of a pyhsics based marble rolling puzzle game. Nothing like Marble Blast: Ultra, more of a thinking mans game than a rush everywhere or slide off the edges etc. The puzzles are so well thought out in this game and the way the pyhsics are used is very clever & believable throughout. Usually I find this type of game reaches a sticking point around half way where it reaches silly levels of difficulty & I give up, here however it was a joy from start to finish(although the last level was very challening!), not too easy, not too tough, perfect! While this is first and foremost a single player game, it also has some well implemented co-op levels which were specifically designed for two players, again very nicely thought out levels that require well organised teamwork in order to get through. It doesn't stop there though, there is also online multiplayer, these are more races than puzzles but actaully alot of fun to play, shuffling though the levels while trying to push your opponents off narrow ledges etc. can be pretty hillarious, far from a tacked-on extra and rounds off the package superbly.

Possible reason it was overlooked: One of the only faults with Switchball when it was originally released was the very noticable screen tearing(V-Sync), that has since been patched now though so no problems there, such a shame it was there in the first place as I do think it put alot of people off that probably wouldn't give the demo a second chance since the patch. Personally I easily forgave the tearing in the first place as it's such a great game.

Cloning Clyde
Obiously Braid is now largely regarded as the king of 2D platformers on XBLA, but it isn't the only worthy competitor for that title. Very unique & beautifuly crafted part puzzle, part platform game, nice graphics, great humour and fantastic fun to play through! Still one of the biggest highlights for me on XBLA despite the fact it was one fo the early releases onto the service. Hard to desribe the gameplay(you have to try the demo really), it's almost like a platforming game with a hint of lemmings, cloning numerous versions of your character(each individually controlable) and transform stations where you can change each of the clones into various other characteristics such as frog, chicken etc. Really made me smile this game, shame there has never been mention of a sequel or even an expansion/map pack. Oh, and although I've never got around to trying it, there is a co-op mode present, really should give that a go now I think about it.

Possible reason it was overlooked:Don't think this one was too overlooked when it orignally released, but as a now old game I think alot of people that bought a 360 since probably wouldn't even notice it among the huge list of XBLA titles.

Jetpac: Refuelled
One of the biggest bargains to be released on XBLA(although a few games that have now been reduced into the classics range such as Assualt Heroes & Marble Blast now offer similar value for money). Lovely update to the original classic, was a shining example of how remakes should be done after a load of disappoiting untouched re-releases(Pacman, Frogger etc.). The original game is included aswell as a fantastic updated version, great graphics, improved gameplay(IMO) with nicely satisfying power ups etc. Very addictive little game wit a huge number of levels(think it has over 120 from memory), although I never could get past 64(it only saves every three of four levels and I can't reach the fourth from that save point). Aswell as the single player games there is also a two player competative mode(includes online) which is pretty good fun for a quick blast. Not only is it a bargain at 400 points, but it also includes two unlockable gamerpics & a theme(wish every game offered these type of rewards).

Possible reason it was overlooked: Unlike now where there are quite a few worthy updates to classic games, this was released at a time that people were sick of seeing old games re-released onto XBLA unchanged from their original and with forced 4:3 screens, I think alot of people didn't even bother to look at this one which was a shame.

Assault Heroes 2
Assault Heroes was a great game when it released, the co-op was superb and it had some stunning graphics in places, there were some niggles though and pretty much all of these were addressed in the sequel. At 800 points this is just such an amazing game, more challenging than the original yet at the same time more forgiving & a much bigger game(I would guess it must be around double the size). Unlike the first one the on-foot sections are much more a competant part of the, where you were restricted to a pea shooter, you now continue with your full range of weapons on-foot, aswell as being able to jump which makes these sections far more playable. Also if you die in an underground section, you now get to continue(provided you have extra lives;) rather than being booted back up to above-ground. A great single player game and even more enjoyable with two players co-op(again, Live included). One of the my favourite games on XBLA, if you liked the first one then this is essential!

Possible reason it was overlooked: Unfortunate release date and some bizzare review comments from various online reviewers. I must have read at least three reviews where they commented the game could have been released as an expansion to the first one rather than a standalone title. I can't help feel these reviewers could not have played through the entire game, the campaign itself is massive and to think it could be an expansion seems insane to me(that's without mentioning the numerous improvements such as graphics, weapons ect), really don't know what was going though their minds with such ridiculaous comments.

Pacman: Champioship Edition
Wasn't sure if I should include this one in the list or not as although I think it was largely overlooked when it was first released, alot of people seemed to end picking it up over time(perhaps due to being so highly regarded and recommended by its large fanbase). I remember when this game was announced(it was a hugely publicised "suprise announcement" at the time) I rolled my eyes at the thought of yet another Pacman. Wow, what a surprise though, a stunning remake, Pacman for the clubbed out generation, almost hypnotic in its presentation and gameplay and each of the modes were really well implemented. Of course being Pacman it's a bit of a score chasers game, I'm not really one of these people to be honest but it certainly didn't stop me from falling in love with the game and being hooked to it for a good few weeks. If you haven't tried this game yet then get the demo downloaded ASAP, essential!

Possible reason it was overlooked: In a word.... Pacman, after the sloppy un-reworked re-releases of both Pacman & Mrs. Pacman(complete with those horrible picture side screens to fill out for 4:3 playarea) I think people had a gutful of Pacman and probably didn't even consider downloading yet another one. Nothing to do with the original though and yes, in full 16:9 widescreen this time around thank God!

Catan:
Nice digital version of the classic German board game, I'm a huge fan of Catan and although I don't find it quite the same playing it on the tv screen(way better with a few friends and alcohol:)) it's perfectly playable and Xbox Live makes it very easy to find people to play with, not putting away after the game either. Very different from most if not all the typical UK released board games, accesable for new players but with enough strategy to keep you playing, well, forever really, not for no reason is it one of the biggest selling board games worldwide. Best played with friends IMO and makes a far quicker game with trading etc. if you can ask if anyone wants to trade for your cards rather than fiddle around offering something people might not want. Lovely way to spend a sociable hour or so(it isn't gernerally a short game), such a shame they never released the superb Seafarers or Citys & Knights expansions.

Possible reason it was overlooked: For people in the UK that don't like Manopoly( I never did like that game), they would probably turn their nose up at the idea of a board game, especially one made digital, give it a chance though and it can grip you like a drug.

Carcassonne:
Has some similarities to Catan, but a whole different animal of a game. Unlike Catan where I prefer the physical board game, I actually prefer the digital version of Carc, with the unpredictable tile laying maner of the game I hate when you keep reaching the edge of the table and have to move all teh pieces, no problem here and no reshuffling of tiles needed either:)
Carcassone is a tile laying rather than an actual board game, place your tile, then add one of your meeples(little men) if you choose to(various options such as farmers, roadies, tower keepers etc), simple as that really. Very easy to get into(much more so than Catan) but can be quite strategic when a playing with people that understand the ins & outs of the game(there are quite a few tricks to this one that aren't obvious at first). Games typically last 15-25 minutes which makes it perfect for pick up & play sessions, works well played in best of three aswell. Although this one is for up to seven players I always think it's far better played with just two, three at most.

Possible reason it was overlooked: It's a bit of a funny one when you first start playing and can imagine alot of people not even getting though the demo tutorial. It doesn't look that great a game until you start getting hookde and it's definately multiplayer where this game shines.

Astropop :thumbsup:

I've put loads of hours into this simple little puzzle game. A cross between Galaga and Tetris you have to smash the blocks at the top before they reach the bottom (ok not the best description). I just found it ridiculously addictive and spent days trying to get some of the rock hard achievements

Poker Smash

This isn't a card game, I think that's why most people avoid it.

It's a beautifully presented action/puzzler that you will not be able to put down once you get the hang of the controls. Getting combos is an art form.

GripShift! This is an ace game. Great graphics, catchy tunes and FUN. It was my favourite game on psp and one of my faves on the 360, xbla or otherwise. Everyone should have this :thumbsup:

Poker Smash

This isn't a card game, I think that's why most people avoid it.

Personally, I avoided it because while it isn't a copy of Poker, playing the game with any kind of ability whatsoever requires you to spot valid poker hands at speed. If you can't do that, you'll get nowhere.

Re: Undertow, it's a remarkably standard class-based UT Dominator game, but in 2D. If you play it in multiplayer as a team it's rather fun, but the single-player is utterly pointless, which is why a lot of people ignored it. Mind you, that's probably also what attracted Microsoft to using it as a Live Outage compensation; it's of most use to the people most affected.

Catan and Carcassonne are both so completely wonderful I've bought the physical boardgames, but I'm also rather taken by Ticket To Ride.

Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo HD Remix Delux McBestversion et all

:D Street fighter titles are going on too long these days lol but anyone into a colourful Tetrisesque game with more balls this is the one for you. Criminally overlooked in the PSone days and from what I've seen this little gem has been overlooked in XBLA too.

The game is simple(ish) to pick up but hard to master. It's a Bomberman type game which I feel is enjoyed best with friends in the same room however it is still fun over LIVE.

Pick. It. Up.

And challenge me to a game. :clap:

Personally, I avoided it because while it isn't a copy of Poker, playing the game with any kind of ability whatsoever requires you to spot valid poker hands at speed. If you can't do that, you'll get nowhere.

I only really go for 3 of a kind matches, the others drop in by themselves.

:D Street fighter titles are going on too long these days lol but anyone into a colourful Tetrisesque game with more balls this is the one for you. Criminally overlooked in the PSone days and from what I've seen this little gem has been overlooked in XBLA too.

The game is simple(ish) to pick up but hard to master. It's a Bomberman type game which I feel is enjoyed best with friends in the same room however it is still fun over LIVE.

You're not wrong about it being overlooked on the PSone, I used to own it and remember discovering it was worth quite a bit at one point as was pretty rare. Loved it back in the day and used to play it with a mate of mine often, never got around to purchasing the 360 version as the mate I used to play against doesn't own a 360:mad: Had a niggling feeling the competition online would likely be stupidly high and as I didn't notice any of my friends playing it decided to give it a miss.

Now that is one game I'd love to see added to the Arcade Hits range, at 400 points I'd definately grab it(although to be fair I'd say it's well worth the 800 asking price, just always reluctant at that price for mainly online multiplayer XBLA games as have made that mistake too many times now with games my Live buddies don't play). Mind you when we move back to England next year I might pick it up again anyway for local multiplayer.

Last edited:
What a useful thread. Thanks Tetlee. I especially like the sound of Switchball. :thumbsup:

Quick question - are all of the above games still downloadable, or have some been decommissioned?

What a useful thread. Thanks Tetlee. I especially like the sound of Switchball. :thumbsup:

Quick question - are all of the above games still downloadable, or have some been decommissioned?

No probs:) Definately give Switchball a go, the trial is quite good as a taster but the full game never stops improving over the demo levels.

Yep, they should be all still there, don't think microsoft have even started decommisioning any of the XBLA games yet(maybe Yaris:D).

Tetlee if you do end up getting SPF2HTHD :)grin:) or puzzle fighter to most drop me a friend request, we can start the revolution here! Tried to get my mates into it but not so many folks get the stacking of combos while those counting blocks count down.
Lol most of em I've tried playing with even struggle to understand how the coloured blocks drop on their screen :rolleyes:. I lost my original copy of the game to student friends years ago and then got rid of the psone when I got my original black box of beauty but had to buy a copy of it second-hand in gamestation for ÂŁ25 to play on my mates ps2, no way I could resist getting it but alas, sadly they were not up to the challenge *sighs*

I've tried playing online a few times but tend to end up with battling one-person time after time which can wear a bit thin if it's an imbalanced fight.

There's actually another Ticket to Ride fan in here aside from myself? Incredible!

Personal picks for most overlooked has to go like this:

Shred Nebula - Deceptively deep space combat game built heavily around competitive online play. Each ship is well fleshed out and unique, but balanced nicely between the others. Physics works great and, once you master the controls, you feel like a tiny armageddon machine.

Probably Overlooked Because: Released the week after XBLA's Summer of Arcade promotion. Also, appeared to share similarities with the host of dual-stick shooters, but controlled more like an asteroids on steroids (see what I did there?). Most definitely a high learning curve, but incredibly rewarding.

Schizoid - Pac Man meets Ikaruga in a "cooperate or fail" setting. Controls are as simple as it gets, but the split levels of concentration between safe and danger objects (hence the name) makes for a great, frenetic experience.

Probably Overlooked Because: I could be wrong here, but this was the least-marketed game released on XBLA this year. Online matchups were mostly non-existant for the first month or two, which probably had any adopters shelving the game too early.

Lost Cities - Electronic port of an award-winning card game. Like the other board games (Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride), the game is simple to learn, hard to master. Include 2 player competitive matches, as well as Euchre-style 2v2 coop modes. Addictive, pop-in-and-play fun that would likely appeal greatly to the UNO crowd.

Probably Overlooked Because: Let's face it, it's a $10 deck of cards with special rules. Niche products make for small groups of players, but the online was (at least in the beginning) very active. Overall, however, this is a great alternative or complement to Uno and a fantastic card game suitable for anyone.

There's actually another Ticket to Ride fan in here aside from myself? Incredible!

There's actually 3! Big fan of Ticket to Ride and Lost Cities myself.

My unsung heroes would have to go to

Poker Smash - great puzzle game, nice looking, very addictive, good fun in multiplayer, and you can play it on several levels. Getting the multipliers is very difficult, but very rewarding if you pull off a big chain reaction.

Catan - simply because I love board games, and this is a fine example of one. I'm slightly disappointed that there isn't more downloadable content for this available, but the game is excellent, and it's still relatively easy to get a game.

Carcasonne - a brilliant tile game, again, easy to pick up but hard to master, and still fairly easy to find people playing. Highly recommended if you don't already have it.

Since there's been an influx of 'what's the best arcade game' thought I'd bump some of these older threads to save us repeating ourselves too much :thumbsup:

Thanks for the bump - another vote for Poker Smash here.

Simple game, great combos and scoring chances and really well presented. :thumbsup:

Been getting back into Poker Smash recently after a long break. It is beautifully presented. I do love attention to detail, and you can see that the devs have really worked at getting this just right.

I keep getting to 7x/8x combos and blowing it though. :mad: I don't think I'll ever get the 24x cheev.

Im going to have to have some more goes on this again now. Ha cheers codehead :rotfl:

I think I kinda missed the point in Poker Smash, will re-download the demo and check it back out :)

I keep getting to 7x/8x combos and blowing it though. :mad: I don't think I'll ever get the 24x cheev.

I still can't get past the 5x :(

Its a great game. Colour fun and one my mrs doesn't mind having a go out. Im still working on turning her into a gamer ha.:rotfl:

Pick. It. Up.

And challenge me to a game. :clap:

Ancient thread, but Super Puzzle Fighter HD is now (finally) reduced to 400 points this week through the Sales and Special App. Picked it up at last.

Ancient thread, but Super Puzzle Fighter HD is now (finally) reduced to 400 points this week through the Sales and Special App. Picked it up at last.

Holy thread revival!!! 2008!!!!!:rotfl:

Good deal that though, might even pick that one up myself:)

The oldies are the best, Lee!

I should maybe also have pointed out that Catan and Carcassonne (both mentioned above) are also reduced to 400 points this week.

Switchball and Assault Heroes 2 were permanently reduced to 400 points some time ago.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom