1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Remote Control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by JetJockey, Oct 18, 2005.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I'm about to take the plunge and get a Universal remote. I will be needing to control a - Plasma panel - Lumagen scaler - DVD player - Sky box - Infra red dimmer switch - AV Amplifier.

I have looked around and feel that I need something pretty straightforward, possibly with a color LCD screen. Needless to say the Pronto keeps raising it's head but I see several complaints about it. :(

In an ideal world, I would like to be able to also control (don't know how) my Home PC (through my home wireless network or maybe with an add in board). If not possible I would like to be able to browse the internetnet via the remote control and maybe even display this on the Plasma!! :lease:

I am told that the Ultimate remote control is the Crestron (mega bucks) which is a mini PC itself. I know very little about remotes. Could anyone offer some advice or pros and cons please?

Regards, Gerald. :)

2. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The Nevo looks pretty impressive.

Touchscreen, wi-fi. I think it's about £650.00??

www.mynevo.com

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    Sounds like a Simpad may be up your street . There is a forum member who knows most things about them , but is name escapes me at the moment . A quick search for Simpad should lead you in the right direction tho . :smashin: .
    Another good place to have a look , would be Remote Central . They have a "Clicker Picker" facility , should narrow your choices down a bit.
    Atb
    John

4. richardbarman

richardbarman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Crestron and AMX are good, but well pricey, and probably a little overkill for what you need. With an external IR receiver on your PC and a Girder application running, you'll be able to control your Pc from any IR control. Prontos are good, Marantz are a nightmare, Universal Remotes MX3000's are nice, but for good old button-pushing simplicity, but still with programmable 'activities' the Harmony is great. It's a bit quircky to program compared with the others (it's just a different concept really), but nice and simple, and reliable.

Nevo is at least as good as pronto/URC/marantz, but with the added extra that you can browse and control your media collection that sits on your PC.

That's my pennyworth.

Richard

5. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you folks.

This is all excellent stuff. :thumbsup:

Interesting to see the Marantz is a nightmare. I thought it was a Pronto with a different badge?

I agree the crestron could be overkill, but I would like the ability to browse the web. I would spend in the vicinity of £1K but would not entertain anything over about £1.3K so perhaps this rules out the Crestron immediately?? :confused:

Some of the other options look interesting although an LCD screen with icons etc (Pronto style) would be a must. I see that Phillips also produce a "Tablet" style unit for approx £1200. Anybody know anything about it?

I forgot to mention that the PC is in another room so RF would be better than IR.

Cheers, Gerald. :)

P.S. The Nevo looks interesting. Anybody used one?

6. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well folks

No answers, but research tells me that the SimPad is a winner.

Where can I get one?

Regards, Gerald :)

7. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again.

Any idea where I can get a SimPad?

Thanks, Gerald.

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    They are discontinued , however they do appear on the classifieds here from time to time , Ebay is a good place as well
    happy hunting
    John

9. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Both threads merged

10. richardbarman

richardbarman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've used a Nevo with a customer, and it went fine apart from networking issue which is being resolved in the next firmware upgrade. They seem good, but I've only done the one system so far. They have a RF base, which actually sits on your network and spurts out the IR from the Nevo.

Richard

11. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richard.

Just found the Nevo advertised, it looks quite nice.

What was the issue that will be fixed on the next firmware release?

Regards, Gerald. :)

12. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    try looking up Niles. They used to do the intellicontrol which was superb, remembered status of all your equipment, therefore didn't send out unnecessary signals like the pronto, therefore quicker. I think it might be outdated now (monochrome screen, lack of wifi) but there's bound to be a newer model out.

13. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Looking up Niles now. Have just found their site. :smashin:

I cannot believe that one has to go as far as a Crestron to get something that works half sensibly! As long as it does a bit more than the Pronto or has a bigger colour screen I will be happy. :thumbsup:

Gerald. :)

14. richardbarman

richardbarman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The network problem was a issue with it connecting to network and seeing the folders where the music files were stored. We have one on long term test/install where we're checking it out.

Yes you're right that it's a bit mad that there is such a leap from pronto-esque remotes to amx/crestron type thing, but remember the AMX/Crestron is in away just as dumb, it just can do more. In the end if your equipment doesn't have discrete codes, or can't do serial, then you've got problems anyway, regardless of how fancy your control system is.

If you mad for Serial then RTI do system with serial out from the base, and their RF is meant to be really good. At the moment I really like the MX3000 from URC (hometheatermaster) which is also avaible from Xantech (same Korean OEM), as the software is really good and has variables in it, dynamic text, and lots of other goodies.

Also...Marantz is just a dressed-up Pronto, but they use their own software and it is a bit flakey and unreliable. We also have a current issue where every screen we get has a rattle inside.

Richard