The ultimate Panasonic E85 Thread...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TailsNZ, Jul 21, 2004.

1. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's quite a lot of posts around about the Panasonic E85, but it's hard to draw certain conclusions. Maybe all the owners of it could post a little in this review style thread?

Has anyone changed the E85 to region free with a remote hack or such (or any method other than having the store do it or buying it that way)?

Has anyone managed to use the special scart cables to remove macrovision on the E85?

Overall is there anything you just love, and just hate about it? (for example I heard the skip commerical button only jumps in 60 second blocks)

Thanks everyone, and maybe if other people are interested in specific players they could start ultimate round up threads too?

2. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Bought mine region free - I think it was a firmware update so remote wouldnt have done it.

I think the seamless editing (without pauses when stuff is erased) and the user friendliness is an advantage over the competition, but I wish it had -RW support like the Tosh and some would like DV in.

The worst aspect is the lack of a zoom function in my opinion - as I have a 4:3 TV which cannot zoom by itself. Almost all the other panny players have a zoom so why not this one?

Also really frustrating why it only shows you how long you have been watching a movie and not how long is remaining - even the cheapest Panny DVDs do this, although my old Tosh 2109 was by far the best for this.

I also like the way the single remote covers basic TV functions for me.

Time slip and chasing play are absolutely revolutionary in the way you watch TV!

3. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God this player is sooooooo slow!!!!!! Apart from that it's a fantastic player. Playback of DVDV through component is simply stunning.

4. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep brilliant playback on rgb or progressive,wouldnt say it that slow
    good interface in fact so damn right its how they should all be.
    Only small irritations like no dvd open tray button on remote or the time
    remaining like earlier post mentioned.Multidrive would be nice but at the end
    of the day u dont need rw so aint much loss.All in all damn good piece of kit.

5. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Personally prefer NOT having the open button on the remote. Whats the point - you need to go over to the machine to extract/insert disc anyway. All the open button on remotes does is allow the kids to ram the tray against the door on the front of the cabinet it is locked in - NO THANKS!

I understand the slow criticism, but I think it is normal for this type of device and not too much to bear. A little annoying at first, but you get used to it.

6. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the posts so far :) Only apreading has a multi region player? Firmware, yeah that would make it very difficult...

7. jcb69

jcb69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tails - I purchased mine as a multiregion and have been very happy with it. Love the HDD functionailty, picture quality is stunning, and sound isn't bad either.

Only had it for a few weeks so haven't done any copying to DVD-R from HD yet, but if it's anything like the rest of the machine I'll be very pleased.

It even looks good too!

8. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Had mine since April, so it's become pretty much part of the furniture now.

Generally, I can't fault it. Picture and sound are better than my previous Toshiba DVD player and the Timeslip facility has changed completely the way I watch TV. Editing is a breeze. Burning to DVD-R is quick and results are first class. Haven't used DVD-RAM at all - there seems little point. I thought I could detect a slight loss of quality when recording in SP over XP but that turned out to be the artefacting on the broadcast I recorded, so the HDD is good for 36 hours of recording. LP ain't too bad, and FR is fantastic up to around 2hr15.

On the negative side the loss of widescreen tags if you're recording in "high speed dub" mode is irritating, as is the fact that when you have the timer set there's no AV pass through (or whatever it's called). Minor gripes.

Mine was from Multiregion Magic and has played everything I throw at it, including an RCE disc. I'll be surprised if there's a remote hack: I thought these were more often found on budget models.

In summary, an absolutely stonking piece of kit that I can't imagine being without. Mine was under £500, a bargain.

9. Manti

Manti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi guys,

can anyone plz tell me if this Player/Recorder is able to read DVD+R DVD's?

And what about the brand new DoubleLayer DVD's? Can it Read/Record them?

thanks in advance, :)

Manti

10. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Plays DVD+R fine. Not sure about the double layer discs, but it plays commercial double layers fine.

11. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, summary time :D

Pro's:

80gb HDD (up to 120gb in some regions)
    Time Slip
    DVD-R and DVD-RAM recording and playback (reported DVD+R/+RW playback by a couple of people too)
    Multiregion out of the box for many places (even though it says a set region on the back)
    MP3 playback
    Great MPEG encoding
    Progressive Scan in both NTSC & PAL
    Fast editing, no pauses while deleting
    Can fit to disc - for example record a 1:35 program at the best quality possible so it exactly fills the entire disc

Con's:

No proven multi-region hacks for those that aren't multiregion
    Doesn't display remaining time for chapters or movies
    High Speed Dub from HDD to DVD looses Widescreen mode, Normal Speed Dub from HDD to DVD looses chapters.
    Can't record to HDD in PAL mode while playing an NTSC DVD.
    Doesn't remember the last position you were at on the HDD when you turn it off and on.
    Can't output both RGB and component at the same time.
    Takes 20 seconds to start up when turned on. Things like Thumbnails load very slowly.
    No Zoom
    No DV In or Memory card slots (look at the E100 instead)
    Fairly expensive

12. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    High speed dub doesnt lose chapters, but low speed dub does because it is effectively just recording the output while the file is played.

The no pauses actually relates to when playing back a program after editing ads out of the middle etc - I think the Tosh pauses when is reaches the edit before continuing, whereas it is seamless as though the edit never took place on the Panny.

Havent tried DVD+R as I cant write any to try...

13. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone reading this thread knows the answer to this.........

I am looking to by an E85, but only if I can have dual simultaneous output: One via the RGB scart (off to the plasma through a JS-technology convertor), and another via the component feed to an AV amp that feeds a Sim2 projector.

If this can be done will I lose any picture quality. If more detail is needed, my full (intended) connections are: -

Sky+ RGBScart Output to> Panasonic RGB input

then

Panasonic E85 RGB Scart Output to >Humax Freeview PVR-T8000>JS-Technology RGB-VGA convertor> VGA input on Panny PW6 Plasma

AND

Panasonic E85 Component Output to > component input on Denon AVR-2805 component output>component input on Sim2 Domino 20H.

Can this be done?

Confused from Surrey.......

14. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I updated the summary post now, and of course will if any more new info appears too. Also I asked at the local store here in HK too, and this model is multi-region. Sweet :)

15. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Pros, mine is MR and plays DVD+RW fine.

Cons, forgets the last position when playing back from HDD unlike my TiVo.

16. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,943
    What's the fan noise like on the E85 ? Would it be suitable for use in a bedroom or would it be too annoying ?

17. spm63

spm63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my E85 in May 04 mainly to archive my VHS recordings. I got mine MR and it worked fine......for 5 weeks. One evening I was dividing a recording and the machine froze and would not respond to any commands from the remote or the front panel except the on/off switch. After powering back up the unit went through the self check cycle and locked again. It took me two weeks to get Panasonic to arrange a collection date and a further 2 weeks to get a replacement delivery time. I lost all my recordings on the hard drive and the replacement from Panasonic is not MR (obviously). The replacement is working fine but I have only had it for a couple of weeks.

Pros
    Good recording quality in SP mode, relatively intuitive to use. Good playback quality on RGB.

Cons
    Really, really sloooow to use. Why does the hard disk need to spin up and self check if you just want to have a quick look at a DVD ?? :mad: - I will keep my MR Sony DVP-S525 wired up just for general viewing - its old but its quick, built like a brick and has better picture quality than the Panasonic (despite the odd lip synch issue). I got the Sony in '99 and it has never failed to play a disc (Region 1 or 2) and has never gone wrong. The menus/interface on the Panasonic can be slow - e.g. on thumbnail view and some aren't very informative (eg. MP3 info)

There are some good features on this machine but I do think some of the operational characteristics make it harder to live with than it should be.

18. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No issues with Fan Noise on my box, but then it's in the lounge rather than a bedroom. Make a bit more noise when dubbing a DVD, but otherwise pretty much silent.

From what I've seen posted on this forum though it can vary from machine to machine.

To back up what the poster above says, it is slow to start up (around 20 seconds) so I only turn it off overnight. I gave up with the thumbnails view and just use the title lists - much quicker. It's annoying though that the lists are broken into individual pages rather than being one long list - I'm not sure why Panasonic changed this from the HS2/100 single listing.

19. Kwozzii

Kwozzii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    phjones - you can't output RGB and component at the same time I'm afraid....

Kwozzii

20. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, updated the summary again (and also included that it can't record to HDD in PAL, while playing back an NTSC DVD from another thread here)

21. monocrider

monocrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kwozzii (or anyone !), do you know if it can do RGB and composite at the same same ?

e.g. I would like to connect AV1 (RGB) to my TV, and also have the composite phono connected to a video sender for watching in another room.

Thanks,
    John

22. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can somebody remind me of the pros and cons of using high speed dubbing on the E85?

23. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't have to be actually recording to HDD. If you have a recording scheduled (in PAL) and Timer Rec on, you can't play an NTSC DVD.

24. Kwozzii

Kwozzii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Monocrider - not tried it but I believe the composite output on the back is always active regardless of what setting AV1 Scart is on......

Kwozzii

25. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does anybody know if you can use this machine as a deinterlaceer, i.e. plug my ps2 in one end and get progressive scan out the other, or is the progressive just on DVDs?
    Only a thought,
    Thanx
    azzo