THE ULTIMATE OPPO MEDIA DEVICE !

I thought it was just for audio input?
The Oppo-203 has HDMI in which enables the Oppo to do video processing..
But not sure if the Clone can do that.
  • HDMI 2.0 Input
    An HDMI 2.0 input port that supports UHD resolution is available for users to connect an external streaming device. This approach affords users the flexibility to choose from a wide range of streaming devices and easily upgrade as streaming technologies evolve, while still taking advantage of the UDP-205's audio and video processing capabilities.

Last edited:
Yeah the M9201 has HDMI IN so I suppose it can do the same as the original Oppo.
I would like to do the upscaling of my Blu-Ray player with the Oppo if possible.
That's what I was wondering about because in the manual of the original Oppo it says "taking advantage of the UDPs audio and video processing capabilities".

Yeah the M9201 has HDMI IN so I suppose it can do the same as the original Oppo.
I would like to do the upscaling of my Blu-Ray player with the Oppo if possible.
That's what I was wondering about because in the manual of the original Oppo it says "taking advantage of the UDPs audio and video processing capabilities".
I actually just checked mine and both the HDMI ports are labeled as output. One being labeled as sub audio only. Whatever that means.

I actually just checked mine and both the HDMI ports are labeled as output. One being labeled as sub audio only. Whatever that means.
you can split video and audio, can be useful if for instance your tv support hdr/hdr10+/Dolby visions while your avr cant

I currently have a zidoo z9x. Would getting an Oppo clone improve picture quality for Dolby Vision BD ISO backups? Has anyone done comparisons? My understanding is that the Oppo clones process the FEL while the Zidoo disregards it. My TV is LG Oled B9.

Can anyone point me to a direction where I can buy the Oppo clone without getting scammed and at a good price? PM will be great.

I have a Z10 Pro and M9201. There is a color difference between the two even with just HDR. Watching the Martian, the Zidoo was more orange than the Chinoppo. Overall, I think that the Chinoppo produces a more pleasant and natural looking pictures. That also includes DV FEL titles.

any other player that can with perfect bluray menu support ? or still just the oppo, pioneer & clones ?
My M9702 doesn't have perfect menu support. I often lose video when the menu comes up and have to restart to get it back. There is also the issue of the 8-bit color and banding when I try to use HDR. I have to use the force Dolby Vision to get 10-bit color.

Tanquen, I had a M9702 v2. Putting a WD 10TB Elements HDD atop it caused it to power off very rapidly. Weird. Some kind of interference. Rong didnt have much to say about fixing that except, to use the Mtktool to downgrade and show log report and I guess, re-install its firmware. Of which I never did in fear of making it worse and losing the firmware x.dat decrypt key. I guess looking back now, and understanding alot more today on how the downgrade and upgrade works in Mtktool. I guess his idea was about checking for corrupt NAND and or a bad firmware?

As for BD full menu issues, very rare to have any issue. You and I are running Oppo firmware thats just Jailbroken. So it has an official licensed BDA to it. Unless its a partially bad copy of a full BD ISO?

So, what Id do:
1. Reset to factory settings
2. Re-install Free JB RU 65 firmware.
3. Erase stored personal settings or BD data section. This might be erase after a factory reset?

Tanquen, I had a M9702 v2. Putting a WD 10TB Elements HDD atop it caused it to power off very rapidly. Weird. Some kind of interference. Rong didnt have much to say about fixing that except, to use the Mtktool to downgrade and show log report and I guess, re-install its firmware. Of which I never did in fear of making it worse and losing the firmware x.dat decrypt key. I guess looking back now, and understanding alot more today on how the downgrade and upgrade works in Mtktool. I guess his idea was about checking for corrupt NAND and or a bad firmware?

As for BD full menu issues, very rare to have any issue. You and I are running Oppo firmware thats just Jailbroken. So it has an official licensed BDA to it. Unless its a partially bad copy of a full BD ISO?

So, what Id do:
1. Reset to factory settings
2. Re-install Free JB RU 65 firmware.
3. Erase stored personal settings or BD data section. This might be erase after a factory reset?
They are full ISOs when I have this issue. I also make ISOs with just the movie and no menu as I like it to just start the movie. Some I don't care too much about and try it with the menu and they often get stuck. Yeah, not wanting to mess with firmware.

My M9702 doesn't have perfect menu support. I often lose video when the menu comes up and have to restart to get it back. There is also the issue of the 8-bit color and banding when I try to use HDR. I have to use the force Dolby Vision to get 10-bit color.
this could be a player incompatibility with your tv/avr

Last edited:
this could be a player incompatibility with your tv/avr
Anything's possible and I guess I could try connecting directly to the TV and taking the AVR out of the loop. But when the video drops out it's only when messing with menus and then I can get them randomly when restarting the unit and not all menus have the problem. If the ISO doesn't have menus then the video never cuts out. And with the 8-bit color, I don't think the AVR or TV are going to do anything with that. I mean the color banding is coming from the device and if I force Dolby Vision then there's no more color banding.

No issues with full menu playback from BDMV folders on the jailbroken Oppo 203. No banding issues with HDR. Maybe it’s an issue with the M9702.
When you suspect only 8bit is being sent for HDR, what’s reported by the extra diagnostic info from the M9702 (long press ‘i‘ on the remote). ?
“HDMI output information: video output resolution, frame rate, HDR format, color space, aspect ratio,
audio output format, sample rate, bit depth and channels.”

The loss of video when using menus could be a HDMI handshake issue, maybe the AVR loses the handshake.

Last edited:
No, for that functionality, that list is complete.
Cambridge Audio CXUHD, sister to the Oppo 203 and works in the same way.

Of the current media players available the Dune seems to have best BDMV support but switch between that and the CXUHD and you can see it is missing stuff. So media centre and half decent player or no media centre and great player.

Cambridge Audio CXUHD, sister to the Oppo 203 and works in the same way.

Of the current media players available the Dune seems to have best BDMV support but switch between that and the CXUHD and you can see it is missing stuff. So media centre and half decent player or no media centre and great player.
I’ll take great player, no interest in having a media centre/movie wall etc.
Always had Dune media players previously, but the Oppo 203 has the best playback.
And the JB firmware is a bonus.

No issues with full menu playback from BDMV folders on the jailbroken Oppo 203. No banding issues with HDR. Maybe it’s an issue with the M9702.
When you suspect only 8bit is being sent for HDR, what’s reported by the extra diagnostic info from the M9702 (long press ‘i‘ on the remote). ?
“HDMI output information: video output resolution, frame rate, HDR format, color space, aspect ratio,
audio output format, sample rate, bit depth and channels.”

The loss of video when using menus could be a HDMI handshake issue, maybe the AVR loses the handshake.
It could be just the M9702 with the issues.

The extra diagnostic info looks good and the same for all the 4k HDR discs but there is 8-bit like color banding in all I’ve checked. It took me a while to notice as it just shows up when there is a large even color shift or gradation. I don’t think it’s any of the equipment as I can just use the Oppos force Dolby Vision setting and the HDR title has no more banding. Just makes me wonder if I’m even really getting HDR or DV.

The loss of video when using menus could be a HDMI handshake. It doesn't always do it and the Oppo most likely is changing the res or framerate when going from the built in menus to the disc menus but it also does this when just playing a movie only ISO but the video is never stays out on any of movie only ISOs just the few I’ve tried with menus and I think I still get audio when it happens.

The same kind of thing happens with media players like the Apple TV 4k, I can set it to force the same res and frame rate and even Dolby Vision so the HDMI feed never cuts out while using that device or I can tell it to match the shows HDR, res and frame rate and every time I start a show or use the Apple TV 4k menus or the apps menus running on the Apple TV the HDMI audio and video cuts out from changing the res or frame rate or HDR, over and over but always come back, not the case on the Oppo/M9702.

The extra diagnostic info looks good and the same for all the 4k HDR discs but there is 8-bit like color banding in all I’ve checked. It took me a while to notice as it just shows up when there is a large even color shift or gradation. I don’t think it’s any of the equipment as I can just use the Oppos force Dolby Vision setting and the HDR title has no more banding. Just makes me wonder if I’m even really getting HDR or DV.

The loss of video when using menus could be a HDMI handshake. It doesn't always do it and the Oppo most likely is changing the res or framerate when going from the built in menus to the disc menus but it also does this when just playing a movie only ISO but the video is never stays out on any of movie only ISOs just the few I’ve tried with menus and I think I still get audio when it happens.

The same kind of thing happens with media players like the Apple TV 4k, I can set it to force the same res and frame rate and even Dolby Vision so the HDMI feed never cuts out while using that device or I can tell it to match the shows HDR, res and frame rate and every time I start a show or use the Apple TV 4k menus or the apps menus running on the Apple TV the HDMI audio and video cuts out from changing the res or frame rate or HDR, over and over but always come back, not the case on the Oppo/M9702.
The fact that you are seeing cut outs with the Apple TV (although HDMI handshake is reestablished) seems to indicate some sort of HDMI issue. Have you been able to try eliminating the AVR by using a direct connection ?

when i plug the oppo/clones on my onkyo avr i end up having green screen on dv playback. if i enable second audio (zone 2) on the avr, the oppo always cap the audio format to lpcm 2.

in my case i manage to have it stable by outputting video on tv and audio on avr and not using zone2 anymore.

End of the day, i think that all those issues are related to edid parsing.

One possible fix would be to patch bdpprog, similar to linux xorg to allow the player to load the edid blob from a file and not downloading it from the tv/avr, otherwise you just need to use another tv/avr or player :(

The fact that you are seeing cut outs with the Apple TV (although HDMI handshake is reestablished) seems to indicate some sort of HDMI issue. Have you been able to try eliminating the AVR by using a direct connection ?
Not sure how to describe it other than that, but it's the normal cut out that I've always seen with any HDMI device. Normally just when you change inputs the audio and video goes away and then comes back when the new device syncs. But also if I have a media player or even my PC ( that is directly connected to the TV ) when I play games if I change the resolution or HDR or I think even frame rate settings everything cuts out for a second and then comes back. I don't have a device that does not do this on my LG C9. The M9702 is the only one that does it and does not come back, randomly and only when trying to use the disc generated menus and then again only seems to be a problem with some of them. LG makes it even more painful by popping up a splash screen or screensaver telling you that there is no signal on that input even if it's for split second, it has to show that screen for a number of seconds.

Not sure how to describe it other than that, but it's the normal cut out that I've always seen with any HDMI device. Normally just when you change inputs the audio and video goes away and then comes back when the new device syncs. But also if I have a media player or even my PC ( that is directly connected to the TV ) when I play games if I change the resolution or HDR or I think even frame rate settings everything cuts out for a second and then comes back. I don't have a device that does not do this on my LG C9. The M9702 is the only one that does it and does not come back, randomly and only when trying to use the disc generated menus and then again only seems to be a problem with some of them. LG makes it even more painful by popping up a splash screen or screensaver telling you that there is no signal on that input even if it's for split second, it has to show that screen for a number of seconds.
But, since the HDMI sync issue appears worse with the M9702, have you tried connecting the M9702 directly to the TV ?
It could be an HDMI sync issue either on that particular AVR port, or with the particular HDMI cables connecting M9702 > AVR > TV.

I don’t have an LG C9 but saw that there’s a quick check you could try to see if the M9702 is the issue…….
”If you open the native Netflix app (SDR in menus), then play something labeled Dolby Vision, does it do the same? No Signal should only come from input switching or where an external device has stopped sending the signal, so if you see No Signal when changing between SDR and HDR it's the external device that's handling the change badly, not the TV”

Last edited:
But, since the HDMI sync issue appears worse with the M9702, have you tried connecting the M9702 directly to the TV ?
It could be an HDMI sync issue either on that particular AVR port, or with the particular HDMI cables connecting M9702 > AVR > TV.

I don’t have an LG C9 but saw that there’s a quick check you could try to see if the M9702 is the issue…….
”If you open the native Netflix app (SDR in menus), then play something labeled Dolby Vision, does it do the same? No Signal should only come from input switching or where an external device has stopped sending the signal, so if you see No Signal when changing between SDR and HDR it's the external device that's handling the change badly, not the TV”
It's not just worse it's different than all other devices, the video goes away and never comes back until I restart the M9702 or stop the title. The last time it happened I had only had to stop and restart the title once. I never mess with it again just watching the movie once.

It just so happens that I moved the M9702 to another port a few weeks before the last time it happened.

The LG internal apps never do this, just the devices using the HDMI inputs. I had a Fire TV 4k and it did the same connected at the back of the TV.

Again, it's the same thing that HDMI has always done but on other TV's I've had you just get a blank screen for a second or less when you change inputs or change the res, frame rate and maybe HDR.

I can see if I can find a network cable long enough and try the M9702 directly into the TV but again all the devices I have cut out when changing certain settings and it cuts out when I start watching a movie only ISO (I've done many more of those, 100+) and they always come back. It is only when trying to use the on disc menus.

I have LG B8, Yamaha AVR and m9702 v3.
I also have the no signal during refresh rate change on the TV, but it always (?) comes back. I use full. bdmw folders, not isos.
There were couple of titles with special protection that never started, but remuxing them with clonedb worked fine.

After a power failure, my 9201 player no longer started with my settings but in Russian or Chinese. I then restarted it again and this time it started in the set language, but it got stuck. Only the background with the 7 icons comes up and then it gets stuck at the "No disk" icon. It no longer responds to the remote control and I have to unplug it to turn it off. I then loaded the Chinese OPPO65-0131 and the Russian version from the 1st page onto the player with mtktool. This works exactly as described in the instructions and without an error message. Neither of the two versions brought anything, it still gets stuck in the same place. Autoscripts work and also ftp and telnet with jb_overlay V1. What can I do? Thanks for all the info and sorry for my English.

Jmf1802;

Hmm...?

You didnt mess with any NAND GUI image files via Ftp/sshftp recently? No custom theme?

Reset to factory settings, erase personal settings?

If you can access the Oppo linux via CLI prompt and run a NAND check for errors command, that might shed some light...?
I cant remember the syntax that cli2000 posted...

Also, remove any and all usb devices connect to the M9201.

Using mtktool and looking at its firmware update log, were there any errors?

Dump that Nand asap too.

Here's Liwil u-boot nand check:

Post in thread 'FREE Oppo and Clones Jailbreak'
FREE Oppo and Clones Jailbreak

[OPPO UDP-203/root]/sbin/ubinfo /dev/ubi0 --all ubi0: Volumes count: 1 Logical eraseblock size: 253952 Total amount of logical eraseblocks: 841 (213573632 bytes, 203.7 MiB) Amount of available logical eraseblocks: 0 (0 bytes) Maximum count of volumes 128 Count of bad physical eraseblocks: 3 Count of reserved physical eraseblocks: 7 Current maximum erase counter value: 27 Minimum input/output unit size: 4096 bytes Character device major/minor: 252:0 Present volumes: 0 Volume ID: 0 (on ubi0) Type: dynamic Alignment: 1 Size: 830 LEBs (210780160 bytes, 201.0 MiB) State: OK Name: ubi_boot Character device major/minor: 252:1

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom