THE ULTIMATE OPPO MEDIA DEVICE !

what error correction option in vlc? I can see vlc ignoring errors, but I know of no ability to "error correct" a dvd/bluray. I'd be interested in having the option pointed out to me.
In the video settings skip frames and drop frames which corrects any errors and makes my files play without any glitches like a standalone player does, obviously it can't correct badly damaged files

As I said, it doesn't correct anything.

It does exactly what it says, it ignores the errors. it still glitches, you might not notice the glitch, but the glitch is still there. i.e. an iframe drops, there's nothing it can do, until the next iframe you wont see anything new. you drop a pframe, and things will be mostly good, but there can be "smushed" pixels due to the missing frame and hence intermediate content is missing.

There is no error correction built into the mpeg/ts stream in a dvd/bluray. its all at the physical layer of the disc. if the disc has an area that can't be read, vlc just ignores it, it doesn't correct it. makemkv / dvdfab on the other hand are trying to perform a backup. a backup that doesn't fail when a read error occurs is a terrible backup as you would could have no idea that an error happened. With that said, one could argue that they should have a mode to "ignore errors" as well, (For some reason I thought dvdfab did, pretty sure anydvd does), but the error will still be within the copied file and vlc would probably behave the same with it.

but the error will still be within the copied file and vlc would probably behave the same with it.
You obviously didn't read my posts thoroughly then, both DVDFAB and Makemkv ripped the files WITH errors but VLC plays them fine due to skipping or dropping the bad frames exactly as a standalone player does,

Right lets try to put this another way. Discs have lots of different protections on them one of which is extra fake frames which are skipped or dropped by a standalone player, now if you rip the dvd and it fails to remove all the Fake Files then when you play the file with 99% of software or media players it will glitch at those points basically copy protection but VLC can play those glitches or errors because it has the option of skipping them or dropping them the same as a normal dvd player

I think we're talking past each other. with that said, at the end of the day, if you like vlc, why not simply use vlc on any android box? it would be a much cheaper solution

I think we're talking past each other. with that said, at the end of the day, if you like vlc, why not simply use vlc on any android box? it would be a much cheaper solution
Yeah seems like we're going round in circles lol, if the M9702 can playback the file I uploaded without glitches then for me it will be a one box solution as it does everything else that I need otherwise it is the pc for some and dune egreat for others

Yeah seems like we're going round in circles lol, if the M9702 can playback the file I uploaded without glitches then for me it will be a one box solution as it does everything else that I need otherwise it is the pc for some and dune egreat for others
I played the file twice on my M9702 V2. I have seen about 6 (in the blink of an eye) VHS like horizontal blurr like scratch glitches. Some British Cop show. Audio is fine, its clear, 50i(PAL) PQ is I guess 4:3 SD TV in Britain back in the day. I can record with my iPhone if you want to try to see what I see. Im on a Samsung 1080p 3D HDTV. Otherwise, it played straight through twice. I have to warn you this is an Oppo Clone, its meant for Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays. Thats where it excels at. Im still slowly replacing my mkvs into blu-ray structors. Anything else, let me know.

I played the file twice on my M9702 V2. I have seen about 6 (in the blink of an eye) VHS like horizontal blurr like scratch glitches. Some British Cop show. Audio is fine, its clear, 50i(PAL) PQ is I guess 4:3 SD TV in Britain back in the day. I can record with my iPhone if you want to try to see what I see. Im on a Samsung 1080p 3D HDTV. Otherwise, it played straight through twice. I have to warn you this is an Oppo Clone, its meant for Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays. Thats where it excels at. Im still slowly replacing my mkvs into blu-ray structors. Anything else, let me know.
Thank you for trying the file for me you have seen exactly the same as I see so it sounds as if it won't skip the errors like my Panny disc player does, it's weird because the dvd I am ripping from obviously has some errors and wont play on my pc without the errors or glitches that you see unless I use VLC, but will play fine with no glitches on my Panny dvd player so in theory if the M9702 uses the modded firmware of the Oppo and still plays with glitches then the magic part that does the skipping or dropping of bad sectors must be in the actual drive itself, but this still doesn't explain how VLC play it perfect D'OH. Any way thank you again looks like the search goes on nooooooooooooooo

Thank you for trying the file for me you have seen exactly the same as I see so it sounds as if it won't skip the errors like my Panny disc player does, it's weird because the dvd I am ripping from obviously has some errors and wont play on my pc without the errors or glitches that you see unless I use VLC, but will play fine with no glitches on my Panny dvd player so in theory if the M9702 uses the modded firmware of the Oppo and still plays with glitches then the magic part that does the skipping or dropping of bad sectors must be in the actual drive itself, but this still doesn't explain how VLC play it perfect D'OH. Any way thank you again looks like the search goes on nooooooooooooooo

I wonder what it would look like if you tell vlc to transcode it into something else but try to keep same PQ? Would the glitches still show up on my M9702 V2?

I wonder what it would look like if you tell vlc to transcode it into something else but try to keep same PQ? Would the glitches still show up on my M9702 V2?
No idea but if I replaced the problem discs the M9702 would play them fine so I will go that route first. I was just hoping that the M9702 would play the corrupted files perfectly as it is based on the Oppo 203 but it must be that it doesn't have the optical drive software as it hasn't got the optical drive. I suppose I was just dreaming for a moment that the software that skips bad segments and so forth would still be in the M9702 and would allow it to play problem files and discs perfectly like a standalone spinner will do but alas not lol. Thank you again for testing the file for me ☺

No idea but if I replaced the problem discs the M9702 would play them fine so I will go that route first. I was just hoping that the M9702 would play the corrupted files perfectly as it is based on the Oppo 203 but it must be that it doesn't have the optical drive software as it hasn't got the optical drive. I suppose I was just dreaming for a moment that the software that skips bad segments and so forth would still be in the M9702 and would allow it to play problem files and discs perfectly like a standalone spinner will do but alas not lol. Thank you again for testing the file for me ☺
The M9702 might play differently if I had the whole DVD iso? It could be using a different part of its player engine on mkvs?

I have noticed it loads BD stuff and fast forwards stuff better than the my mkv bd rips.

Wouldn't think so to be honest but I am going to get the M9702 at some point as it ticks all the boxes and more as it is the best disc less media player around for the moment, ok it hasnt got fancy posters etc but they can be used in Plex Yadis etc but for the moment it is the playback king for me

Bonjour, j'ai besoin d'un lecteur bluray / hifi. Je veux de la simplification. J'ai l'intention d'acheter une boîte: M9702 et M9708. Deux boîtiers chinois ISO complets capables de tout lire. Je ne souhaite pas avoir de lecteur cd hifi et de lecteur blu-ray. Aucun de ces appareils ne dispose d'entrées analogiques. Uniquement HDMI, coaxial et optique. Le M9708 a un toroïdal. Les questions que je me pose: si j'envoie le signal en "pasthrough" à l'amplificateur hifi, le signal serait-il au même niveau que celui envoyé par un lecteur cd hifi? Que pensez-vous d'un câble HDMI-analogique? Comment ce toroïdal m9708 peut-il jouer sur le signal, qu'il soit HDMI, optique ou coaxial? Le but est de faire de l'un de ces deux appareils un tout-en-un (cinéma et stéréo). Selon certains ayant un lecteur cd hifi et un lecteur blu-ray la différence serait négligente en faveur du lecteur hifi et selon d'autres qu'une fois le signal en "pasthrough" peu importe s'il s'agit d'un joueur 100 € que 600 €. Merci pour vos réponses

if you mean lionsgate releases, then they use screenpass. My guess is then that you are trying to play pirated releases as they tend to release before AnyDVD / DVDFab actually include support for the releases and hence their releases are almost always broken as is.

All the lionsgate releases play fine if one has the disc and does the rip after they release support for them, so if you are ripping them on your own, just be patient until they have support and you can post about discs that rip poorly in their forums. Though that will not help you fix a broken pirate release.

And if I didn't understand what you meant, pleaes explain what "from lions" means.

Last edited:
if you mean lionsgate releases, then they use screenpass. My guess is then that you are trying to play pirated releases as they tend to release before AnyDVD / DVDFab actually include support for the releases and hence their releases are almost always broken as is.

All the lionsgate releases play fine if one has the disc and does the rip after they release support for them, so if you are ripping them on your own, just be patient until they have support and you can post about discs that rip poorly in their forums. Though that will not help you fix a broken pirate release.

And if I didn't understand what you meant, pleaes explain what "from lions" means.

I'm trying to load Kick-Ass, release hrdinvasion.
Not a new movie

has anyone figured out a samba smbd.conf that works reliably? (ubuntu 19.10)

i.e. I can get it to login once and as long as I stay in the "mount" then it works fine, but if I leave the mount (i.e. go back to main screen), it refuses to access and just pops up the username / password dialog. even if I reenter them, it doesn't work.

I was using nfs in replacement for this, but nfs doesn't play nice with exporting fuse based file systems (been experimenting with rclone and google drive), while samba exports them nicely, so have moved back to smb, but the login issue is annoying me.

thoughts?

Hey, I followed a smb guide that seemed to work for me, I will try and find the link again and post.

Could you help me with an issue I am having? With both smb and nfs from my ubuntu 19.10 server zfs raidz2 drives I get random video and audio dropouts and freezing. My server is connected via ethernet cat 6 to a switch and the M9702 is connected to the switch.
The same folders/files playback perfectly from USB, so I know the network or the ZFS drive is the fault.

Hey, I followed a smb guide that seemed to work for me, I will try and find the link again and post.

Could you help me with an issue I am having? With both smb and nfs from my ubuntu 19.10 server zfs raidz2 drives I get random video and audio dropouts and freezing. My server is connected via ethernet cat 6 to a switch and the M9702 is connected to the switch.
The same folders/files playback perfectly from USB, so I know the network or the ZFS drive is the fault.

Here is the link I sort of followed. I had to enter my ubuntu account information the first time I tried accessing the SMB share through the 9702. I've been able to shut the 9702 off and on and now just enter the shared directory.

I ZFS share is likely riddled with share errors as I've been swapping between nfs and smb for a few months now, so I cannot say with pure confidence that everything in the provided link worked for me. What did seem to work was adding the [share-name] info to the smbd.conf. I also changed this, not sure if it helped.
#### Networking ####

# The specific set of interfaces / networks to bind to
# This can be either the interface name or an IP address/netmask;
# interface names are normally preferred
; interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24 eth0

Anyway, here is the link.

Re FS performance. If your block device is under stress (especially if spinning disks) it can be IOP starved and even simple things can't be streamed consistently. With that said, I find the m9702 caching more intelligently than Kodi does (i.e. kodi hiccups and buffers a lot more often on blurays than m9702 does).

and certain things such as RAID5 can exacerbate this.

For instance, imagine you have a 5 disk RAID5 setup. now imagine its fragmented (say pretty full) so you can't write long contigous streches (RAID5 does well with long contigous writes as it can write out all 5 disks at once). If it's fragmented each RAID5 stripe write becomes 3 reads and 2 writes (for parity calculations). So you just turned 1 IOP into 5.

now for instance trying deleting a hightly fragmented file on ext3/4 where the blocks are all freed. the unlink() will take a very long time on large files. Normally this isn't "that big of a deal", but samba is single threaded per client. Therefore, if you try to delete a file that is going to block for a while, its going to cause issues with all other processes on the same client machine as samba is going to block them all.

Re FS performance. If your block device is under stress (especially if spinning disks) it can be IOP starved and even simple things can't be streamed consistently. With that said, I find the m9702 caching more intelligently than Kodi does (i.e. kodi hiccups and buffers a lot more often on blurays than m9702 does).

and certain things such as RAID5 can exacerbate this.

For instance, imagine you have a 5 disk RAID5 setup. now imagine its fragmented (say pretty full) so you can't write long contigous streches (RAID5 does well with long contigous writes as it can write out all 5 disks at once). If it's fragmented each RAID5 stripe write becomes 3 reads and 2 writes (for parity calculations). So you just turned 1 IOP into 5.

now for instance trying deleting a hightly fragmented file on ext3/4 where the blocks are all freed. the unlink() will take a very long time on large files. Normally this isn't "that big of a deal", but samba is single threaded per client. Therefore, if you try to delete a file that is going to block for a while, its going to cause issues with all other processes on the same client machine as samba is going to block them all.

Interesting, thank you. I may re build the RAIDZ2 pool with only 6 disks rather than 8 in the coming days.

I just read this and am a little confused.

For performance on random IOPS, each RAID-Z group has approximately the performance of a single disk in the group. To double your write IOPS, you would need to halve the number of disks in the RAID-Z group. To double your read IOPS, you would need to halve the number of "data" disks in the RAID-Z group (e.g. with RAIDZ-2, go from 12 to 7 disks). Note that streaming read performance is independent of RAIDZ configuration, because only the data is read. Streaming write performance is proportional to space efficiency.

Interesting, thank you. I may re build the RAIDZ2 pool with only 6 disks rather than 8 in the coming days.

I just read this and am a little confused.

For performance on random IOPS, each RAID-Z group has approximately the performance of a single disk in the group. To double your write IOPS, you would need to halve the number of disks in the RAID-Z group. To double your read IOPS, you would need to halve the number of "data" disks in the RAID-Z group (e.g. with RAIDZ-2, go from 12 to 7 disks). Note that streaming read performance is independent of RAIDZ configuration, because only the data is read. Streaming write performance is proportional to space efficiency.

Seeing that the 9702 is only reading the data, why would IOPS matter? My server isn't doing anything at the time, and it is a barebones build.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom