THE ULTIMATE OPPO MEDIA DEVICE !

Original firmware Oppo 203 can read BD and UHD BD BDMV structures perfectly fine without any jailbreaks. Plain ISO files are no go though.
maybe OLNY from USB.

Are you sure al 100% ? i read it only about Cambridge CUXHD .

maybe OLNY from USB.

Are you sure al 100% ? i read it only about Cambridge CUXHD .
Yes, I am. I have utilized that feature since it was discovered. USB works as is and also SMB/NFS sharing works. Network share requires additional AVCHD folder but it works (Movie_folder\AVCHD\BDMV structure\). BD structure needs sw tool which edits "one flag" from the files and then it works. Please read more in the 20x threads in this forum and also AVSf. This feature has been discussed a lot.

Last edited:
Yes, I am. I have utilized that feature since it was discovered. USB works as is and also SMB/NFS sharing works. Network share requires additional AVCHD folder but it works (Movie_folder\AVCHD\BDMV structure\). BD structure needs sw tool which edits "one flag" from the files and then it works. Please read more in the 20x threads in this forum and also AVSf. This feature has been discussed a lot.
That’s absolutely correct. I use a Cambridge now in this way but same thing applied when I was using a 203. I took the info on how to do this from that Oppo user help page setup by some helpful guy from AVS and often referred to. DV and HDR10+ play just fine over the network these days.

With Oppo 20x (original fw):

Blu-ray SMB/NFS: bdmv modify tool + AVCHD folder needed
Blu-ray USB: only bdmv modify tool needed

UHD Blu-ray SMB/NFS: AVCHD folder needed
UHD Blu-ray USB: works as is

With M9702:
No need for extra stuff. BDMV structures and ISOs works as is.

Edit: added Oppo 20x original firmware.

Last edited:
With Oppo 20x:

With M9702:
OH nice! I thank you for your reply

So I am thinking of buying the M9702 v3 however I heard some rumours that compared to the original Oppo 203, the sound quality coming from the M9702 v3 isn't on par with the Oppo 203 (apparently this is because the hardware they are using the for the audio in the box isn't as strong as what was on the original Oppo 203).

Can someone confirm/deny this and also whether this applies to the optical out or the HDMI? Thanks

So I am thinking of buying the M9702 v3 however I heard some rumours that compared to the original Oppo 203, the sound quality coming from the M9702 v3 isn't on par with the Oppo 203 (apparently this is because the hardware they are using the for the audio in the box isn't as strong as what was on the original Oppo 203).

Can someone confirm/deny this and also whether this applies to the optical out or the HDMI? Thanks
I can't answer your question directly as I've never had a 203, what I can say is that for whatever reason I'm definitely hearing more LFE than when playing from my other 4k sources. It might be a coincidence and it is only one element of audio but I've got multiple 4k sources and this definitely sounds at least as good if not better over all.

Last edited by a moderator:

M9702 don't have analog output, only digital output.
Which "rumours" you talk abouts?

you talk about "HDMI Audio Jitter " ?

I was talking about HDMI out, not analog out.

But yes the audio jitter in HDMI might be what the people were talking about

I was talking about HDMI out, not analog out.

But yes the audio jitter in HDMI might be what the people were talking about
Where do you read about Audio Jitter with M9702 ?

i don't think M9702 have HDMI Audio Jitter problem.
Usually cheap android devices have this problem.

Using a/v sync video form Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark there is no issues no problem .

Do you know some better test?

this user have raplece 27Mhz main clock ... maybe you can ask him:

Ive been giving this some though on which Model Oppo has the better audio. You would think the original Oppo UDP-203. I know of two Upgrades to this unit.
1. Linear PSU ()

2. Aluminium BD-Rom Stabalizer (OPPOMOD)

A year ago when the M9702 came out, I though I saw someone do a A/V comparison to the actual OPPO 203. Don't know where, or if it was on the avpasion forum.

Then theres the M9708/06:

The M9702 Plus has a external linear power supply
O1CN01KCnsDH28CsFB1TDuA_!!0-rate.jpg
O1CN01o4kMWJ1ipBMIZhpel_!!0-rate.jpg
will external power makes any difference for audio quality and if so where to get it or is that mod i should have requested during order....

Sorry to cut in, but maybe anyone knows of the similar devices for less money? I don't care that much about playback "quality", only for the ability to play DV and TrueHD audio (meaning it has to read BD ISO or BDMW structures, right?)

Sorry to cut in, but maybe anyone knows of the similar devices for less money? I don't care that much about playback "quality", only for the ability to play DV and TrueHD audio (meaning it has to read BD ISO or BDMW structures, right?)
NO, playback "quality" is DV....

If you have LG or Vizio television you can convert BD UHD dv into mp4 dual layer ,but with some limitation.

If you have firestick/nvidia 2019/ ATV ou can convert BD UHD dv into mp4 single layer ,but with less quality.

or maybe... install dolby vision on windows 10 and you hope powerdvd release new version with dolby vision support ... in the near future

Last edited:
NO, playback "quality" is DV....

If you have LG or Vizio television you can convert BD UHD dv into mp4 dual layer ,but with some limitation.

If you have firestick/nvidia 2019/ ATV ou can convert BD UHD dv into mp4 single layer ,but with less quality.

or maybe... install dolby vision on windows 10 and you hope powerdvd release new version with dolby vision support ... in the near future

I have Sony TV. It plays LG Dolby Vision demo (single layer as I understand) from USB fine.
However, doing the conversion mentioned by you I would ultimately lose TrueHD audio and possibly Atmos, unless I figure out a way to convert it to e-ac3 carrier, right?

PC option sounds interesting. But like you mentioned, it doesn't quite work just yet because of the lack of DV support in software (players)? What about hardware side of things, how do I know which GPUs support DV and TrueHD output?

With Oppo 20x:

With M9702:
Totally agree with you, but would like to make a small correction.

It's not necessarily with the M9702, but with the Oppo jailbreak firmware that you don't need to do any extra fiddling with BDMV modify tool and/or AVCHD folder.

The M9702 comes with that firmware pre-installed, but it can also be applied to the Oppo 20x as well, in order to easier play discs ripped to your PC/NAS. It's just a bit more... techy... but doable.

Yes, that is true. I meant Oppo 20x original firmware.

Let's hope I don't have to read the whole 96 pages for this thread, and my questions can be answered.

Quite recently, and through a Spanish site, did I get to know about this media player device, the M9702, that some call the Oppo 203 clone, which it really isn't, as it lacks many of the Oppo's capabilities. And what I read sounded extremely tempting.

I badly need a high quality video unit that can replace my old Mede8er media player, which doesn't interface anymore with my cabled network from my PC.

For some time I have switched to Android based TV boxes, a Mecool first and an Nvidia Shield later. Got a bit frustrated with the Shield, as it didn't have a way to control volume from the remote, as the Mecool did. Neither am I sure if the M9702 will do so. Does it?

What I expect from the M9702 is outstanding video and audio quality, which the "Oppo heritage" hopefully should provide. But it also has to interface with Windows network protocols, which my Mede8er stopped doing so. Not even through SMB.

Apparently the M9702 can also improve video quality, though I wonder how that would work.

Is there a US rep for this unit or do I have to buy it from China?

Thanks!

Let's hope I don't have to read the whole 96 pages for this thread, and my questions can be answered.

Quite recently, and through a Spanish site, did I get to know about this media player device, the M9702, that some call the Oppo 203 clone, which it really isn't, as it lacks many of the Oppo's capabilities. And what I read sounded extremely tempting.

I badly need a high quality video unit that can replace my old Mede8er media player, which doesn't interface anymore with my cabled network from my PC.

For some time I have switched to Android based TV boxes, a Mecool first and an Nvidia Shield later. Got a bit frustrated with the Shield, as it didn't have a way to control volume from the remote, as the Mecool did. Neither am I sure if the M9702 will do so. Does it?

What I expect from the M9702 is outstanding video and audio quality, which the "Oppo heritage" hopefully should provide. But it also has to interface with Windows network protocols, which my Mede8er stopped doing so. Not even through SMB.

Apparently the M9702 can also improve video quality, though I wonder how that would work.

Is there a US rep for this unit or do I have to buy it from China?

Thanks!
No US rep, but there are several USA owners of this M9702 here.
Its a pretty good clone of an Oppo-UDP 203. Its missing: a 2nd USB 3.0 port, Wifi, VFD display, BD-ROM, just to name a few. It only likes SMB V1, and NFS. It accepts USB NTFS mass storage devices. If I had to do it all over again, I'd spend the money for a used Oppo UDP-203 and jailbreak it. So, after saying that, you can buy from Rong, and wait for him to ship you one to you in the USA, or look around for a used one on the forums. Good luck. If you have more questions, Im always around.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom