Quantcast

THE ULTIMATE OPPO MEDIA DEVICE !

looun

Let's hope I don't have to read the whole 96 pages for this thread, and my questions can be answered.

Quite recently, and through a Spanish site, did I get to know about this media player device, the M9702, that some call the Oppo 203 clone, which it really isn't, as it lacks many of the Oppo's capabilities. And what I read sounded extremely tempting.

I badly need a high quality video unit that can replace my old Mede8er media player, which doesn't interface anymore with my cabled network from my PC.

For some time I have switched to Android based TV boxes, a Mecool first and an Nvidia Shield later. Got a bit frustrated with the Shield, as it didn't have a way to control volume from the remote, as the Mecool did. Neither am I sure if the M9702 will do so. Does it?

What I expect from the M9702 is outstanding video and audio quality, which the "Oppo heritage" hopefully should provide. But it also has to interface with Windows network protocols, which my Mede8er stopped doing so. Not even through SMB.

Apparently the M9702 can also improve video quality, though I wonder how that would work.

Is there a US rep for this unit or do I have to buy it from China?

Thanks!
ALL player like Mecool support only SMBv1 , you must enable it on windows 10 after update.

carlmart

Thanks!

OK, nice look around what I can get. I wonder where I could find a reliable used Oppo UDP-203, because it's likely the electronics would be fine. Some guidelines or suggestions to find one would be welcome.

Second let me be more specific on how I should be using this unit. To start with I do no have or plan to have a BD-ROM player, as I do not own or plan to have any BD discs ever. My files are all mkv, which I stream ethernet from my PC and soon a centralized file server.

Now, it worries me that the 203 only likes SMB V1, which I think it's the same as the Mede8er that doesn't work anymore. I need other W7 or W10 protocols like those used on Android units. Would the M9702 provide them?

Where do I found M9702 owners than can tell me more about this interface?

looun

Thanks!

OK, nice look around what I can get. I wonder where I could find a reliable used Oppo UDP-203, because it's likely the electronics would be fine. Some guidelines or suggestions to find one would be welcome.

Second let me be more specific on how I should be using this unit. To start with I do no have or plan to have a BD-ROM player, as I do not own or plan to have any BD discs ever. My files are all mkv, which I stream ethernet from my PC and soon a centralized file server.

Now, it worries me that the 203 only likes SMB V1, which I think it's the same as the Mede8er that doesn't work anymore. I need other W7 or W10 protocols like those used on Android units. Would the M9702 provide them?

google is your friend!

theaxledentaldj

Thanks!

Purchase from Rong at Online Order:

Or look on Ebay for the Oppo UDP-203,
Then once you have the unit, goto:

Also, since I have an M9702 with the actual
Oppo 203 remote control, Last I checked,
Oppo was selling new Replacement new remotes for $18 (not including shipling in usa).

Good luck.

spotter

I like my device, but don't get this device expecting a good general purpose media player. The main reason to get this device over any other device (such as a raspbery pi type device running kodi) is that it can play dolby vision blurays

that's it.

If you have no desire to play dolby vision blurays or don't have a tv that an display dolby vision blurays, then there is zero point to getting this device.

Even with that, you will want another device to act as your general purpose media player.

If you don't want multiple devices, you would have to decide what's more important, dolby vision or a good general purpose media player.

If all you are using are MKVs, this device is pointless. It makes zero sense for you to even consider it.

looun

If you have no desire to play dolby vision blurays or don't have a tv that an display dolby vision blurays, then there is zero point to getting this device.
it's not true at 100%

if you want a device bug-free and work really ( without issues)
if you want better picture quality

this device is not pointless.

spotter

I think the most important aspect of a media player device is the ability to show you all the content that is available to you.

As it cannot refresh data show to you on a NAS without rebooting the device, that makes it somewhat pointless as a general purpose media player device.

Just that one thing is such a show stopper to call it bug free seems ridiculous to me.

As I said, I like the device, but that's beause I got it to play dolby vision UHD bluray rips. If I had no desire or ability to watch them, it have been a waste of money.

Yes one can point to aspects A B or C that it does a little better than other devices, but in practice its going to give you a whole host of other problems. I really think the only people that should get it are the ones that want to play dolby vision blurays.

or to put it simply, if you don't know the exact reason you want to get the device, the exact problem it will solve for you, you should not be getting this device, as most likely the shortcomings of it will bite you in the ass sooner or later. If you know the exact reason you are getting, the exact problem it solves, the shortcoming don't matter as it solves that problem and no other device can.

Hi guys long time lurker here first time poster, I am very interested in the M9702 as I use 3D, 4K HDR ( BD ISO, MKV, Vob inside MKV ) and various other files on my Tv Panasonic TX-DX750 . Now my question is as the Oppo 203 had a blu-ray drive and would ignore errors in the disc such as copy protection etc: does the M9702 do the same as I assume it is the software that tells it to ignore these. Now the reason I ask is I am currently ripping the entire set of Heartbeat Dvds into Vob inside MKV with makemkv and on the odd disc I get read errors but the disc plays fine in the standalone player I have ( yes this old chestnut again lol ) and the resulting files play with the odd glitch using Kodi, Mpc-hc but VLC plays the files fine because it has the option to ignore read errors, I have also played the files on an Egreat A5 and Dune Solo 4K Base that I use but they both played the files with the glitch present so if the M9702 will play the files ok I will purchase this player from Rong. Also i'm fairly newbee so please ignore any silly mistakes I may come up with. TIA Jules

spotter

the m9702. I like it for what I use it for (playing bluray images), it would drive me nuts as a "daily driver" generic media player. I think most people who aren't interested in playing full bluray images really should get a device better suited to their needs.

Thankfully kodi runs pretty well on my sony tv so I don't have to worry about that. I use kodi daily and I use the m9702 daily (especially these days, at home movie nights each night), but I can't imagine using it for anything besides bluray images as kodi is in general just a better solution, at least for my needs (and it itself is far from perfect)

chros

... that one thing is such a show stopper to call it bug free seems ridiculous to me.

As I said, I like the device, but that's beause I got it to play dolby vision UHD bluray rips. If I had no desire or ability to watch them, it have been a waste of money.

Yes one can point to aspects A B or C that it does a little better than other devices, but in practice its going to give you a whole host of other problems. I really think the only people that should get it are the ones that want to play dolby vision blurays.
I completely agree with you. And it has way more issues than just this, although one can argue that they are minor. But if we consider its price and even with the group purchase, it's still a lot for something that: has no support and no warranty.
I also just use it to play back DoVi BDs on my B8, I use a PC (mpc-be + lav filters + madvr) for everything (!) else. :)

spotter

its a $300 device when other devices can play MKVs just as well and are much cheaper and are just better experiences.

i.e. kodi on a firetv stick or android tv box that would cost you under $50 and would have better support.

I play lots of MKVs and its almost always in Kodi. Kodi indexes them all, collects them alltogether (tv shows / episodes). keeps track of what i've watched. provides a nice "UI" and can refresh itself without rebooting the box!.

look I understand the language I'm using is harsh, but I'm doing it out of "love". trying to make people think before they make a mistake.

I really believe one should only buy this device if they can answer the Q. "What problem does this device solve for me that no other device that is its price point or cheaper can?" If you can't, you shouldn't be considering it.

Last edited:

carlmart

I already tried two Android based devices, playing with Kodi: a Mecool and an Nvidia Shield.

What I wonder is if the video image can be improved with a non-Android interface, particularly when using a video projector.

I do not like the way Kodi indexes my folders, and I would like a system what would keep the folders as I have them on my HDDs, separated by series, films and film types.

The operation of the remote control on both Mecool and Shield doesn't have the play, pause, stop, rewind buttons I used to have since my video tape days, and I don't see a reason why it has to change.

On the Shield there's an additional thing I didn't know about, which has made me put the Shield aside: the remote does not control the output volume level. What it does is link itself to the receiver or whatever thing you are using for amplification, and it controls the volume through that. Certainly not what I want.

And I'm not sure Kodi is the best video or audio player around, so I wonder if the M9752 software can improve on it. Doesn't it add up anything?

spotter

you do realize you can use kodi without any indexing and just browse, right (i.e. no different than the Oppo, and better if you make a modification to the file system it will see it without rebooting).

theaxledentaldj

Hi guys long time lurker here first time poster, I am very interested in the M9702 as I use 3D, 4K HDR ( BD ISO, MKV, Vob inside MKV ) and various other files on my Tv Panasonic TX-DX750 . Now my question is as the Oppo 203 had a blu-ray drive and would ignore errors in the disc such as copy protection etc: does the M9702 do the same as I assume it is the software that tells it to ignore these. Now the reason I ask is I am currently ripping the entire set of Heartbeat Dvds into Vob inside MKV with makemkv and on the odd disc I get read errors but the disc plays fine in the standalone player I have ( yes this old chestnut again lol ) and the resulting files play with the odd glitch using Kodi, Mpc-hc but VLC plays the files fine because it has the option to ignore read errors, I have also played the files on an Egreat A5 and Dune Solo 4K Base that I use but they both played the files with the glitch present so if the M9702 will play the files ok I will purchase this player from Rong. Also i'm fairly newbee so please ignore any silly mistakes I may come up with. TIA Jules
Read errors?
If its Screenpass/BD-Java Obfisication, Ive run into that twice on my M9702.
The Region A,B, C error I can bypass by changing the language on my M9702. Or I can remux out to the main movie to not have the
above issues. Example: Avatar SE Disc 3 has Region B.

As for the AACS2.0, using AnyDVDHD (latest version) can remove it.

I cant gurantee what DVD discs you have will play right in the M9702.

If I had a sample of your DVD, Id test it for ya on my M9702.

Read errors?
If its Screenpass/BD-Java Obfisication, Ive run into that twice on my M9702.
The Region A,B, C error I can bypass by changing the language on my M9702. Or I can remux out to the main movie to not have the
above issues. Example: Avatar SE Disc 3 has Region B.

As for the AACS2.0, using AnyDVDHD (latest version) can remove it.

I cant gurantee what DVD discs you have will play right in the M9702.

If I had a sample of your DVD, Id test it for ya on my M9702.
Hi theaxledentaldj thank you for your reply, I will have to try and upload the clip for you to test what would be the best way? I tried ripping the problem files with DVDFAB and DVD-X-RIPPER but still had the errors so I dont know if it is copy protection or just a bad sector on the discs because VLC can play because of the error correction setting as optical players have .

theaxledentaldj

Hi theaxledentaldj thank you for your reply, I will have to try and upload the clip for you to test what would be the best way? I tried ripping the problem files with DVDFAB and DVD-X-RIPPER but still had the errors so I dont know if it is copy protection or just a bad sector on the discs because VLC can play because of the error correction setting as optical players have .
Depends on how big the file is, 4GB is the max for a free 50GB mega.co.nz account.
Unless (Im a MacOS user), you split the file into may zip files to get it uploaded.

Depends on how big the file is, 4GB is the max for a free 50GB mega.co.nz account.
Unless (Im a MacOS user), you split the file into may zip files to get it uploaded.
It will only be a small file as the whole episode is 2gb so a 30 second clip which is all that should be needed to see the error or not see hopefully will be tiny. just signed up to mediafire so I will extract the bad bits tomorrow and upload them

Last edited:

spotter

if a ripper sees an error, vlc sees the same error, it just ignores it, perhaps has a bit of visual corruption, but might be lucky and it will be so brief you won't notice. the error correction in the medium is the same if its being read with a ripper or with a player. there's is zero difference. the ripper fails, because it doesn't want to give you the impression that it made a good copy. vlc doesn't care as its just is to just play the video as best as possible.

It will only be a small file as the whole episode is 2gb so a 30 second clip which is all that should be needed to see the error or not see hopefully will be tiny. just signed up to mediafire so I will extract the bad bits tomorrow and upload them
Hi guys this is the problematic file I need you to test for me, if you play it on windows media player or similar first you will see the flashes of interference but if you play it on VLC player you will not see them as it has the option to ignore read errors. If you could please try this file on the M9702 to see if it plays with or without the flashes. Thank you very much .Jules

if a ripper sees an error, vlc sees the same error, it just ignores it, perhaps has a bit of visual corruption, but might be lucky and it will be so brief you won't notice. the error correction in the medium is the same if its being read with a ripper or with a player. there's is zero difference. the ripper fails, because it doesn't want to give you the impression that it made a good copy. vlc doesn't care as its just is to just play the video as best as possible.
Sorry but that is not true as it all comes down to ignoring or skipping the so called bad sectors or copy protection as a standalone player does, this is where VLC comes into it as it has the option in the settings to ignore errors which is why it plays ok on VLC and my bluray player but no other software that I have tried. Makemkv tells me there are read errors when I rip it as does Dvdfab but the resulting file will only play ok in VLC because of the error correction option.

theaxledentaldj

Hi guys this is the problematic file I need you to test for me, if you play it on windows media player or similar first you will see the flashes of interference but if you play it on VLC player you will not see them as it has the option to ignore read errors. If you could please try this file on the M9702 to see if it plays with or without the flashes. Thank you very much .Jules

Thanks, I will test it after my day of work and Ill let you know my results.

spotter

Sorry but that is not true as it all comes down to ignoring or skipping the so called bad sectors or copy protection as a standalone player does, this is where VLC comes into it as it has the option in the settings to ignore errors which is why it plays ok on VLC and my bluray player but no other software that I have tried. Makemkv tells me there are read errors when I rip it as does Dvdfab but the resulting file will only play ok in VLC because of the error correction option.
what error correction option in vlc? I can see vlc ignoring errors, but I know of no ability to "error correct" a dvd/bluray. I'd be interested in having the option pointed out to me.

Trending threads

Latest News

Huawei launches Vision X65 OLED TV in China
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Virgin Media adds more free Sky channels
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney Plus reaches 50 million subscribers globally
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung to end Smart View app support on older TVs