THE ULTIMATE OPPO MEDIA DEVICE !

Has anyone had any success using this with a emby server to direct play DV ISO files? would like one of these but the family have no chance of using it without some form of GUI.

To see an Emby GUI you would need an Emby client running on the m9702 and this is not possible, there is no access to the web or Linux OS. Emby and Plex servers show up in the network list but appear as an smb type server with file lists although with more option like year order lists.

Using the m9702 couldn’t be much easier you just select the network tab and navigate to your movie files. As long as you know what movie you want to watch it is easy.
With a quick demo anyone one that can use a mobile phone should not have a problem!

I run emby on my IPad so I use that if I want to look at movie description/details.

Last edited:
To see an Emby GUI you would need an Emby client running on the m9702 and this is not possible, there is no access to the web or Linux OS. Emby and Plex servers show up in the network list but appear as an smb type server with file lists although with more option like year order lists.

Using the m9702 couldn’t be much easier you just select the network tab and navigate to your movie files. As long as you know what movie you want to watch it is easy.
Anyone that uses a mobile phone should not have a problem!

I run emby on my IPad so I use that if I want to look at movie description/details.

do you know if its possible to trigger playback over DLNA to the m9702 from the emby ipad app?

do you know if its possible to trigger playback over DLNA to the m9702 from the emby ipad app?

I think plex shows up as a DNLA server (not smb) on the m9702 as it has its icon, emby takes ages to show up but even thought it is not yet showing on the m9702 I can see the m9702 in the device list on the emby app.

I can play mkv files via the app on my ipad on the m9702 but of course my DV movies are all in bdmv format and they will not play as emby does not support them. I don’t have any iso files but I didn’t think emby supported them?

Looks like anything Emby will play will work as you require using the ipad app, there is no GUI on the m9702, all remote.

Good evening all. I've been lurking here for some time, and bought an M9702 (v2) a couple of months ago. I use it primarily as a player of ISO files stored on an HDD connected via the rear USB 3 port. It has worked without issue since acquisition, but I encountered a small peculiarity a week ago. I have a couple of Blu-Ray ISOs which are basically hi-res audio discs. The audio is in 96/24 DTS HD-MA stereo format (no multi-channel audio). When HDMI audio output is set to Auto or Bitstream there is no signal output by the M9702 and my AV amp says "Decoder off". The sound is fine if I switch the HDMI audio output to PCM.

There's no problem with playback of multichannel 96/24 DTS HD-MA on any of my ISOs, and the ISOs from which stereo DTS HD-MA is not put out by the M9702 play perfectly from my ancient Netgear NeoTV550.

This is a minor nuisance rather than a major issue, but I wondered if anyone else had encountered it and, if so, had identified a solution.

All the best...

hah, someone else with a neotv 550 (moving overseas and packed my 550 even though I haven't used it in a long time). I moved from that to a dune, now to the m9702. With that said, while compatibility has increased in general, (ex: both the neotv 550 and dune which use the same bluray playback engine suffer from a major bug that prevents a number of bluray images from playing correctly, basically "jump to first play title" kills playback either from hdmv code or from java code), the m9702 isn't as good as a networkable media player. It gets the job done, but at a very basic level.

The NeoTV550 is still a reliable ISO player and very handy for gapless MP3 playback on the odd occasion that I want to do such a thing. I've never used it or the M9702 as a network media player; I'd probably go for one of the new Dunes if I were after that.
I use both the M9702 and the NeoTV (predominantly the former) for playing ISO images of discs that I haven't got room to store near my TV and they're both still good for that. The M9702 is faster to load and probably of better quality image-wise, but it won't play stereo DTS HD-MA from that small number of Blu-Ray ISOs that I have that offer only the one file format, as I said. At least mine won't. I do have a couple of ISOs that occasionally kill the NeoTV, but I can always play them on the M9702 now, so I've solved that problem!

I'm very happy with the M9702, it does almost exactly what I bought it for, but I can't figure out why it won't play that particular type of audio. Any thoughts are most welcome...

The NeoTV550 is still a reliable ISO player and very handy for gapless MP3 playback on the odd occasion that I want to do such a thing. I've never used it or the M9702 as a network media player; I'd probably go for one of the new Dunes if I were after that.
I use both the M9702 and the NeoTV (predominantly the former) for playing ISO images of discs that I haven't got room to store near my TV and they're both still good for that. The M9702 is faster to load and probably of better quality image-wise, but it won't play stereo DTS HD-MA from that small number of Blu-Ray ISOs that I have that offer only the one file format, as I said. At least mine won't. I do have a couple of ISOs that occasionally kill the NeoTV, but I can always play them on the M9702 now, so I've solved that problem!

I'm very happy with the M9702, it does almost exactly what I bought it for, but I can't figure out why it won't play that particular type of audio. Any thoughts are most welcome...

Got an example of what won't play? I have a dune, m9702, neotv550 and a few other media players laying around to test

Got an example of what won't play? I have a dune, m9702, neotv550 and a few other media players laying around to test

Other than posting the ISO files, I don't. I'll have a play with the 2.0 DTS-HD MA files from the link that looun left (cheers) to see if they'll allow Bitstream audio, but I don't have any mkv files/folders of my own.

ok, just downloaded a 2.0 DTS-HD MA file and a 7.1 DTS-HD MA file from the above link and both play fine on my 9702

Attachments

• 20190713_093935.jpg
    20190713_093935.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 139
I've downloaded a couple of 2.0 DTS-HD MA files and 2.0 Dolby Digital, the latter just out if curiosity, but I haven't tried to play them yet; I'll report back once I have.
I've had no trouble with 4.0 or 5.1 or 7.1 DTS-HD MA from Blu-Ray ISOs, so I wouldn't anticipate any trouble with the downloaded files anyway. A 7.1 FLAC file stumped the M9702 mind; it just froze and needed a power cycle to work again. That isn't a big problem though.

OK. The downloaded files play as I'd hoped and the amp recognized them as DTS-HD MA and Dolby Digital accordingly, but the ISOs still don't play. Very odd. It would undoubtedly be easiest to convert the ISOs to MKV and forget about this matter, but it IS still odd.

I haven't tried playing them by any other means. All my ISOs are on a HDD attached to the USB 3 port. They don't play through the USB 2 port either. It's a minor nuisance, as I've already mentioned, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has replicated the problem.

If it's of any interest the ISOs in question are of the Blu-Rays from the UK Ultimate Collectors Edition Box, which contains 4 Blu-Rays, three of which have only DTS-HD MA 2.0 tracks. It seems that the original masters were missing so a surround mix wasn't produced.

It's all gone very quiet!

Anyway, I re-ripped the ISOs using an alternative means to that employed originally and they still won't play as 2.0 DTS-HD MA on the M9702. I wondered if it might be some quirk of the specific HDMI input on my amp, but swapping leads with the NeoTV 550 still didn't make them work, and all files (new rips and old; ISO, MKV and m2ts) play perfectly on the NeoTV 550. Really odd. It just seems that these particular ISOs aren't played as stereo DTS-HD MA by the M9702. Oh well. It's not a deal-breaker...

if it plays as an mkv but not as a bluray, its probably due to the bluray playback engine. My experience with commercial boxes like these (such as neotv and dune), is that the bluray engine is not developed in house to any large extent, but is more of a blackbox delivered by the manufacturer of the chipset.

In this case, Oppo probably does some work on it, but we know that some elements are blackboxes (such as how the dolby vision portion, they can't fix bugs in dolby vision playback themselves, they are dependent on the binary blobs Dolby delivers to them). I'd expect that somehow in regards to how it setups of bitstreaming for dts-hd ma 2.0 streams, it is messing up the handshaking with the receiver. Could be as simple as they have to use a "switch statement" in whatever language its coded in for the various types of output that can be bitstreamed and they didn't think that it could be a dts-hd ma 2.0 stream so the code can't handle it as is.

My only recommendation would be to get it tested on a regular Oppo to see if it can duplicate it and if so, see if that owner could file a bug with Oppo and cross one's fingers that it gets fixed.

It doesn't play as an MKV or as a Blu-Ray ISO on the M9702, but is fine in either format on the NeoTV 550. The Blu-Ray itself plays faultlessly on my Oppo 105D, but I haven't tried the MKV. I might give that a go on the 105D, but there probably isn't too much mileage to be had from pursuing this too hard. I can always switch output to PCM or listen to the ISO on the 550.

Cheers!

Was going to buy this but not now, price gone up £20 since i first looked because of the dollar exchange.

Last edited:
Now if someone with imagination would import the players into the EU and get them on sale from a proper online shopping site - they could be on to a winner.

Maybe the Vero guys could import it and re badge / rebrand it as Vero 4K GTX or maybe ultimate now that would be a thing. if it is like the other Oppo style player it wipes the floor with other media players given its file support

Now if someone with imagination would import the players into the EU and get them on sale from a proper online shopping site - they could be on to a winner.

Maybe the Vero guys could import it and re badge / rebrand it as Vero 4K GTX or maybe ultimate now that would be a thing. if it is like the other Oppo style player it wipes the floor with other media players given its file support

That's not going to happen because "the Vero guys" are OSMC and the box only exists to push their software.

That's not going to happen because "the Vero guys" are OSMC and the box only exists to push their software.

I am sure you are right, shame OSMC are so keen on Kodi they might do better if they used or created a better player. worry more about playing media correctly and less on apps

Hi does it Supports 4K HDR10, HDR10 +, Dolby Vision and HLG? which is better this or clone m9702 player oppo 203?

I tried to send email to the seller but I couldn't find email??

HDR10+ not yet, Pioneer FW. But better housecase&internal PSU&internal HDD&same price with m9702.

dave1956a

Never on legal sites, the software on mediaplayers is stolen from Oppo, Cambridge, Pioneer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom